Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Cain F

I while back, I heard someone asking about this cigar. From what I gathered, the first Cain Fs to be released were only given to select stores and retailers to add as an incentive to a potential Cain customer who bought a certain number of the brand new cigar. This was indeed how I obtained my Cain F.

The Cain F, like the Cain, says that it is straight ligero. It is comprised of:
32% Esteli Ligero
25% Condega Ligero
25% Jalapa Ligero

I'm not sure what happened to the other 18%, but I'm sure it is not detracting from the straight ligero taste. Enough numbers, on to how I think it smoked.

The smell of the wrapper was actually quite light, however in tasting the end cap, I knew I was going to be happy I ate a lot. It took the flame well and had a very even burn. After a few puffs, I could already get a feel for the cigar. It had a nice thick smoke to it. It had some nuttiness as well as a maduro-like complexity to it. (The wrapper itself looked like a Natural) It retained the nuttiness throughout the cigar but it gained a very wonderful earthy aftertaste. The cigar burned evenly to the end and had a very long ash, twice.

Since this was post-Thanksgiving, I did not feel the power and instead experienced the taste of it. I must say, this was an amazing cigar. It was only when I stood up that I realized that it was powerful enough to make you sit back down.

Comments

• Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up a Cain maduro torpedo from my local B&M today, and I kid you not, the foot smells like candy.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i had the Cain Maduro double toro after a big dinner. it kicked my ass and i threw up. i want to try another but holy cow, that was crazy. that's the first time that's happened to me.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    i had the Cain Maduro double toro after a big dinner. it kicked my ass and i threw up. i want to try another but holy cow, that was crazy. that's the first time that's happened to me.
    Wow, it made you hurl even after a big dinner? That's crazy! The last cigar that kinda made me quesy was an OpusX, that sumbitch sneaked up on my ass too.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I enjoyed the Cain F, thought it was better than the normal Cain habano, need to compare it to the maduro, I don't remember the one I had well enough.
  • Options
    dennisking:

Back in High School (a very long time ago) I had to use a cigar as a prop in a play.  I chewed on it and hurled big time.  Thank you for bringing back that memory.  Any memories from my youth are welcome, even the bad ones.  :-)
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I smoke most full-bodied cigars on an empty stomach, that way I can gauge just how much power they have. I've never had a cigar make me hurl, but I do smoke 3-8 a day so....
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I smoke most full-bodied cigars on an empty stomach, that way I can gauge just how much power they have. I've never had a cigar make me hurl, but I do smoke 3-8 a day so....
    damn, lucky you. I agree though, I've never had an issue with smoking cigars with out eating. Even a opus x **** I didn't have any issues.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    cabinetmaker:
    damn, lucky you. I agree though, I've never had an issue with smoking cigars with out eating. Even a opus x **** I didn't have any issues.
    I smoke on an empty stomach for the same reasons cabi mentioned. I like to know just how powerful a stick really is. I have never had a stick make me sick, I just get that good buzz from the more powerful sticks. I have not had a Cain F yet because I am letting them sit for a few months before I light up, but I have had bothe the maduro and habano and they were pretty strong but not overly so.
  • Options
    I think that if I wouldn't have been so full I would've been fine. I will be smoking a couple Cains this week, courtesy of Evan and I am sure that this time, I will not be the one overcome with the power of the cigar. This time, no double toro and smoke it a little slower too.
  • Options
    I'll be smoking the Opus X on New Year's eve. I enjoyed a Fuente Anejo on Christmas, hopefully the Opus lives up to the hype.
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Just fired one of these bad boys up last night. Not sure if it was because they were to fresh, as in got the order two days ago or if my flavor profile is just not fitting this stick.

Didn't ever feel over powered in the fullness department, but the spicy was a bit over powering. Great construction, solid burn, and I personally didn't really get any flavors other then the smack of spice in the face. It definitely hung on the back of my palate and was a little chemically so I'm going to attribute it more than anything else that this needed some more time to acclimate to the humidity I prefer, mid to low 60s. Maybe I missed something, but these will be sitting in the humi for a couple of months minimum prior to bringing them back out.

I know it's been mentioned before, but generally do you guys smoke a new order right out of the mail or wait? I personally always start with the intention to wait, but inevitably I cave and pull one out in the first week. Unfortunately 7 or 8 times out of 10 it is harsh and has very little complexity or any desirable flavors. Thoughts, suggestions, personal experiences? Thanks guys.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    wow.. Did you like it? I enjoyed the maduro a lot more than the natural. I had a robusto size. I did get a big strength kick at the beginning but it mellowed out. Maybe you smoked it too quickly?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I just tried the F the other night. Great construction and a looser draw than I would have liked. Real strong flavors of wood for me but not much else. Got a bit too full for me towards the last 3rd, but I'm chalking that up to it being fresh out the mailbox and my green palate. I'll try it again in about a month.
  • Options
    sightunseen: Don't expect the F to be any mellower after only a month, I smoked my third one today out of a fiver I got a couple months ago and it still kicked my ass. The flavors do develop more though with some rest time. I think it is a flavorful cigar, but if you're not ready for the strength then the flavors can easily be overwhelmed.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    dennisking:
    wow.. Did you like it? I enjoyed the maduro a lot more than the natural. I had a robusto size. I did get a big strength kick at the beginning but it mellowed out. Maybe you smoked it too quickly?
    I may have smoked it too fast, as my father in law smoked his torp in the same time as my double toro but yeah, it made me dizzy and everything. I did smoke a Cain Habano courtesy of Ejenne and it was absolutely phenomenal. No crazy buzz or anything. It was a very savory Habano. It is one of my top fav Habanos.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave one of these to my brother-in-law yesterday and he loved it. I have 1 for me resting. Looking forward to trying it.
  • Options
    I've had 2 F's and 1 Habano and they're all amazing. I've really gotten into Oliva lately, and these are as good as anything they've put out. All 3 that I smoked have been right off the truck, so I can't wait to see how they taste after a few months on them!
  • Options
    taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    I will agree. I found that this cigar had a kick to it- I was feeling quesy after I finished it. Next time I'll take a little more time smoking it.
  • Options
    dennisking:

King, I got a few Cain Fs in a bonus pak with some Nubs, and I wasn't really impressed. I have a couple left and will let them rest for a spell. It coulda been my mood at the time, who knows.
    If you like ass-kickers, try (if you haven't already) the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel. I tried my first one at a B&M in San Diego and I had to go outside for some fresh air after about ten minutes of it. Talk about woozie. Down right wobble-kneed. But it grew on me and I've had several since. I actually got turned onto the La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero listening to Rush Limbaugh. He was talking to some guy on his Open Line Friday last year, then I heard the same call again during a "Best Of" broadcast. I figured it must be an omen, so I bought one.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I smoked my first Cain Habano and Maduro recently. The Habano was excellent and had some kick which I need. The Maduro was way to tight, burned bad and was not enjoyable. I think it was just a bad stick
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    fla-gypsy:
    I smoked my first Cain Habano and Maduro recently. The Habano was excellent and had some kick which I need. The Maduro was way to tight, burned bad and was not enjoyable. I think it was just a bad stick
    Agree this was probably a bad stick. I had the same awhile back and construction was good (draw was a bit tight). Do not recommend this smoke before bed or on an empty stomach CCom review is pretty much right on in my opinion - lots of flavor and strength, not complex.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I picked up a Cain Habano and a Cain F two weeks ago from a local B&M. They are actually both for one of my friends since his current favorite cigar is the CAO LX2. I imagine he will like these. I on the other hand probably won't have one of these. I love a cigar with full flavor, but a cigar with too much body just ruins the experience for me. I don't like feeling woozy after a cigar.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I dug this thread up because I just had my first Cain F experience today. I went with the 60 x 6 Double Toro. I must say, it lived up to the hype. It took a good inch, inch and a half, to really open up, as far as strength, but it was definitely a full-bodied, full-flavored smoke. I enjoyed it while watching a couple NCAA games. I didn't even care when ND lost because of the huge buzz this thing gave me......... but back to the smoke. It was consistent the whole way through. Even burn, long ash, heavy smoke out-put. Another beauty from the Oliva family. I will definitely be looking to score a deal on a box of these badboys.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    I had one Cain F, I really liked it a lot. Completely different than the Maduro and Habano. I need to revisit the stick again though, my memory was a little faded due to innebriation. I do love the Habano though, it's so damn good.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    The F is definitely a formidable stick. I had one a couple of months ago and I was floored by how powerful it was. I made an extra effort to smoke slow because I definitely didn't want to puke. By "respecting" the stick, it treated me to some great flavors.

My remaining F's have been sitting for about two months. I may have to try one soon to see if there are any discernable changes. I really want to try the regular Cain Habano and Maduro and see if I can tell the difference.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I feel like such a new kid (but, I am!) I assume that when someone talks about the body of a cigar being full, they are referring to the strength of the "buzz" you feel while smoking it? I know that in my limited experience I have definitely had some sticks make me a little dizzy and make my stomach do some jumping jacks.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    I feel like such a new kid (but, I am!) I assume that when someone talks about the body of a cigar being full, they are referring to the strength of the "buzz" you feel while smoking it? I know that in my limited experience I have definitely had some sticks make me a little dizzy and make my stomach do some jumping jacks.
    You've pretty much got it. Flavor is what you taste, body is what you feel.