Home General Discussion
Options

cigar related antiques

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody collect tobacco/cigar related antiques? Embossed cigar box labels? Vintage ashtrays? Vintage ashtray stands? I'm looking at getting some old cigar box labels and framing them. Also I'm interested in ashtray stands but some of those can get expensive.

If any of you have vintage Tobacciana, please share photos.

Comments

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually saw some labels on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Weren't expensive as I remember...but I am old and am starting to worry about my memory.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got an old cigar blanket from the 1910's and a few cigar baseball cards from that time as well, they have my great grandad on me, but always thought how old they were was really cool too :) I will post up a pic in a little bit.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    FNAFNA Posts: 55
    I don't collect, but I am very into cigar and accessory history.

Cigar box art, holders and cutters.

I've looked recently at flea markets for vintage ashtrays and found none.

Sold a coulpe of ashtray stands around 12 years ago for around $20 each.

I always reccomend the movie "M" to people to get to see some very cool early 20th century accessories.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not calling this an antique but maybe it's considered vintage anyway. Found this at a local junk/antique shop and then I went online and found out the ashtrays and pottery are collectibles. The potter is John Frank and the line he created was called Frankoma. I have since collected several of these same ashtrays in plain and also embossed with advertising. I don't know if the ashtray was intended for cigars but the rests are big enough.

In case you are wondering what the hell that thing in the bottom of the ashtray is, it's supposed to be a section of sewer pipe. I **** you not. I found some info online. Cannelton Sewer Pipe Company, which was founded in 1908 in Cannelton, Ind. was consolidated with its Texas subsidiaries as Can-Tex Industries in 1963. So I am guessing that maybe this ashtray is from '63 when the companies were merged.