Home General Discussion
Options

Wineador question

Hi all I purchased a used Danby 30 bottle wine cooler the other day. Its a compressor type. The compressor works fine but the unit dosent blow cold air. Which is why it was 40 bucks. ive researched this a while and I know that comressors can cause condensation, but since thers no cold could I run it with just the fan blowing and not woory about a computor fan to move air around? Or do i even need a fan? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The compressor will not cause condensation the evap will...but personally I don't think you'd want the whole unit running if it is broken. The fans shut off when the temp is at the desired temp you choose therefore it will never shut off! If the compressor is trying to run and you have it plugged in with no cold air moving through it well it will raise the temp so computer fans already look a ton better imo
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Computer fans are so easy to install, thats the way to go. So many options and sizes, find a few old dc fans and find one that you feel moves a good amount of air for your wineador size. I went with 2 small ones personally, think they're like 9volt. Find an old ac to dc adaptor plug from a cell phone or any device you have around the house. And lastly you can grab a nice digital timer that allows you up to 50 on/off times per day or more depending on the unit. I use this one, its pretty perfect for my needs, I run it for 1 minute every 2 hours.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-LT112-10W-1000-Watt-Receptacle-Adjustment/dp/B0040718U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383919074&sr=8-1&keywords=leviton+digital+timer

In all you can build a fan setup for $20-30 or less, since most people have a few scrap dc fans and adaptors laying around unused. Search around though, I paid 18 bucks for that timer and see it listed higher in other places.

I have the same setup as you almost. I bought a big Danby Compressor unit, like 38 bottle or something. I don't run the compressor, I just added fans and a timer. I can get some pics up, but its getting close to filled and it works perfect. Just be sure you plug the drain hole with some hot glue or something. If you don't need cooling, compressor is the way to go as the price is unbeatable for the size. Plus if you have some science background, you can find ways to run the compressor to cool without destroying humidity. Just takes some trial n error.