Home General Discussion
Options

B&M courtesy

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Ok so the other day I was at the lounge just enjoying the time off lol. One of the guys I always bump into there that I have gifted numerous cigars to offered me one. Knowing I did not like the cigar I took it anyway and thanked him. I got home and threw it in my "I will never smoke" humi. Now my question is what happens when this keeps happening?? I don't want to be a a$$ and say that I really dislike that cigar,but in the other hand I really don't want it. I have tried to tell him it's ok I really have plenty of cigars and I appreciate it but I'd rather you keep them. But he insists I have to take it!! Sooooo what do you do??
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take em... Then pass them on to people looking to try new brands. They may like it... and if he asks how it was, tell him "It was really smooth with lots of flavor". Was it a Macanudo?
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Definitely accept the gift as a good gesture. There is an a** for every seat, so to speak, so someone you know will enjoy it.
  • Options
    Vision:
    Take em... Then pass them on to people looking to try new brands. They may like it... and if he asks how it was, tell him "It was really smooth with lots of flavor". Was it a Macanudo?
    Lol no ryj Habana reserve
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    RyJ would of been right behind Rocky...... LOL
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    This process has worked for me many a time.
    1. Tell him thanks but no thanks
    2. If he insist then bust out your best Michael Buffer voice and yell "Lets get ready to ruuuuumble"
    3. Pick your favorite wrestlers finishing move and apply it on said gift giver (mine is the stone cold stunner)
    4. Jump on a chair give a oooohhh yeeeaah and drop a macho man elbow and proclaim this match over and move on.
    Ok ok maybe not. How well do you know this guy? Do you ever sit,smoke and talk about likesdislikes? If so just tell him you smoked one and it wasnt your cup o tea. I think a big part of this hobby is diversity in tastes and a botl should accept that. If none of these work send them to Afghanistan and call it a day.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    That is one I've been wanting to try Lee. Maybe we can work a trade?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    alls well that ends well.

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Exactly Kuzi. Save it, bomb it, someone likes it, happens all the time.
  • Options
    ehehat:
    lol all yours!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Pm sent good sir.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    Ok. What am I missing?
    What's wrong with the RyJ habana reserve? I kind of like them. image
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    Vision:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Vision:
    Ok. What am I missing?
    What's wrong with the RyJ habana reserve? I kind of like them. image
    Just not my flavor lol nothing is wrong with them I just preffer other stuff.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Ok so the other day I was at the lounge just enjoying the time off lol. One of the guys I always bump into there that I have gifted numerous cigars to offered me one. Knowing I did not like the cigar I took it anyway and thanked him. I got home and threw it in my "I will never smoke" humi. Now my question is what happens when this keeps happening?? I don't want to be a a$$ and say that I really dislike that cigar,but in the other hand I really don't want it. I have tried to tell him it's ok I really have plenty of cigars and I appreciate it but I'd rather you keep them. But he insists I have to take it!! Sooooo what do you do??
    You take it. Makes him feel good. It's like when someone comes to your house and the wife offers him a cookie. Makes her feel good if he takes the cookie. Makes her feel bad if he doesn't. Gifting is a bonding thing.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You take it. Makes him feel good. It's like when someone comes to your house and the wife offers him a cookie. Makes her feel good if he takes the cookie. Makes her feel bad if he doesn't. Gifting is a bonding thing.
    Just give it back to him the next day and tell him it was so good that you bought a box......that will keep him from giving you more too!!!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, just take it in the spirit that it was gifted. Sounds like its one he really likes so you don't want to offend him.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Just give it back to him the next day and tell him it was so good that you bought a box......that will keep him from giving you more too!!!
    LOL,, thats funny,,
  • Options
    dsaylesdsayles Posts: 123
    Take and say thank you! Pass it on to someone whos never tried it or someone who really likes them. It will make someone a very happy smoker!
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    There is no such thing as a bad cigar, only bad taste.

• Options
    jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JDH:
    There is no such thing as a bad cigar, only bad taste.

I got a box of swishers that says that first part is wrong.

On topic, I'm sure I have given people cigars they don't like. I know I have gotten some cigars from friends that aren't my favorite. That said, it is easy enough to find people that do to trade with/bomb. Or, heck, bury one in your humi... maybe it will be better in 4 years. ;)
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I say take the cigar and offer a genuine thank you. Sometimes when someone is having a bad day or sad day it makes them feel better to do something for someone. You don't know what a thank you and smile can do for a person's frame of mind . Ask yourself : Is it important he knows I don't like his gift ? Will it possibly make him feel bad or even unappreciated or uncomfortable for having given it to you in the first place . Did it cause any harm to anyone in merely accepting it ?

Instead of looking at as a bummer for having received a cigar you don't like ( and its ok not to like it - different tastes and all that ) Look at it from the perspective that you were thought of and well liked enough and a respected enough guy/gal that someone wanted to go to the effort of supplying you with one of your enjoyments in this life . Put on a smile that says " Hey , you know what , I appreciate the gesture man " . What you do with the cigar after you part ways is up to you .
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    I say take the cigar and offer a genuine thank you. Sometimes when someone is having a bad day or sad day it makes them feel better to do something for someone. You don't know what a thank you and smile can do for a person's frame of mind . Ask yourself : Is it important he knows I don't like his gift ? Will it possibly make him feel bad or even unappreciated or uncomfortable for having given it to you in the first place . Did it cause any harm to anyone in merely accepting it ?

Instead of looking at as a bummer for having received a cigar you don't like ( and its ok not to like it - different tastes and all that ) Look at it from the perspective that you were thought of and well liked enough and a respected enough guy/gal that someone wanted to go to the effort of supplying you with one of your enjoyments in this life . Put on a smile that says " Hey , you know what , I appreciate the gesture man " . What you do with the cigar after you part ways is up to you .
    +1 ^^^

I've actually been in this position before.

A fella offered me a cigar. It was one that I'm not real fond of them and don't care to smoke them.
    But I smiled and said thanks!
    It was at the point when he asked how come I'm not smoking it, I told him I would save it for a special occasion. I didn't want to smoke it like an everyday cigar.

Whew! That was close. LOL!

I gave him a Torano 1916 and smoked the 1916 I had and he smoked his Macanudo.
    We both went home with an extra cigar.

Sometimes it's best to smile and thank them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    mmccartneydc:
    webmost:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    LOL,, thats funny,,
    LOL, I thought so too, AND practical. This would really work!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Pay it forward. There are always moments when I have people at my house and "wanna try a cigar". Of course, I don't give them anything I like, I just give them something out of the "I'll never smoke humi".

"Long ashes my friends."