Home General Discussion
Options

"Good deal"?

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
There has been a lot of talk about pricing on the CigarSprintSale thread, so it occurred to me that different people's opinions on what makes a good price are probably fairly different and it might be interesting to discuss.

So I'll start it off, when I see something interesting I'll check out the ccom box price per stick. If I can get 10-20% off that, I figure that's a good deal.

So what do you guys use as a metric? What's a "good price" to you?
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    Ken Light:
    There has been a lot of talk about pricing on the CigarSprintSale thread, so it occurred to me that different people's opinions on what makes a good price are probably fairly different and it might be interesting to discuss.

So I'll start it off, when I see something interesting I'll check out the ccom box price per stick. If I can get 10-20% off that, I figure that's a good deal.

So what do you guys use as a metric? What's a "good price" to you?
    My pastt buying history plus what some other 10 packs go for on other sites I use this site http://www.todaysdod.com/ to research past deals on others sites to get a benchmark
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The only time I really think a price is good is when an item that you normally never see deals on for example the La Aurora 100 anos/Cohiba Puro Dom DD daily awhile back is selling at a sale price....there are a number of smokes you just never get deas on probably because of the contract between the supplier and vendor so once in a blue moon you will see a deal, those are the deals for me...everything else usually can be had at a significant reduction usually by a simple email...
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    The only time I really think a price is good is when an item that you normally never see deals on for example the La Aurora 100 anos/Cohiba Puro Dom DD daily awhile back is selling at a sale price....there are a number of smokes you just never get deas on probably because of the contract between the supplier and vendor so once in a blue moon you will see a deal, those are the deals for me...everything else usually can be had at a significant reduction usually by a simple email...
    Agree 100%! I can honestly say I havnt purchased anything from Sprint, the other bid sites, Jams, or anything for the past few months. It seems like they are all the same brands over and over again, ones that are heavily discounted. Now if I'm low on something or want more, ofcourse I'll pick up what I need, but no need to over purchase as they are available at anytime.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, I just look at what I am willing to pay for a cigar per stick. If it isn't a limited run, limited release, or a "collectors" cigar.... I max out at $3-$3.50 a stick. I'm just not willing to pay any more than that when I can get unbelievable sticks that are very enjoyable for $2 a stick or less... just kinda my take on it. Granted I will pay more if it's the right stick... just bought two OpusX sticks that are super rare and should arrive today, Super Belicoso Maduro and BBMF at $40 a pop, that is way more than $3.50 a stick, but once again I didn't buy a whole box, just one of each for a super special occasion. -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    I look at deals this way....I will take into account ccom price as a barometer because they are usually the lowest around (not always and no biggie) but if it is something I am meh about just because it is a great price doesn't make it a great deal. To me a great deal has to be something you like or love and have a good price point. Just my .02.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    30%+ off the Ccom per box price/stick....that's kinda my starting point......if it's not any better than that, well, unlees I'm out of a favorite, or it's something I really want to try.......I'll pass..............I broke and I'm a cheap a$$ and a bottom feeder anyway
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    At the end of the day, I just look at what I am willing to pay for a cigar per stick. If it isn't a limited run, limited release, or a "collectors" cigar.... I max out at $3-$3.50 a stick. I'm just not willing to pay any more than that when I can get unbelievable sticks that are very enjoyable for $2 a stick or less... just kinda my take on it. Granted I will pay more if it's the right stick... just bought two OpusX sticks that are super rare and should arrive today, Super Belicoso Maduro and BBMF at $40 a pop, that is way more than $3.50 a stick, but once again I didn't buy a whole box, just one of each for a super special occasion. -- Brett
    Jeez irish, I'm guessing you already have that lost job situation under control if you're ordering 40 dollar sticks!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe so, but I also payed for these by selling some old electronics on eBay.... knew we needed money so I sold some of my old things to pay for those so it came out at zero instead of a loss of funds. I at least TRY to play smarter not harder lol... doesn't always work but this time it did :D
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I consider it a deal if it's a cigar I like at a price I wanna pay ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    +1
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    I consider it a deal if it's a cigar I like at a price I wanna pay ;)
    Well put
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Depends on the cigar, but at this point my humidors/coolers are so full that I'm not adding much, unless it's a "wow" cigar. Those, at least the ones that wow me, tend to never go on sale. So I don't really watch any of the DD/Jams/Sprint sites. They aren't aimed at me, but rather a different demographic. They are neat though.
  • Options
    I have only bought one thing on SS. I had x amount of money and wanted a box of something I know I liked. I watched for a few days and jumped when a box got I wanted got to the price I was wanting to pay. i was happy.