Home General Discussion
Options

The complete idiots guide to cigars

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
I started reading this because I'm an idiot when it comes to cigars. Anyone else read it? What's your opinion of it I just started.

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    My general opinion of these books is that they are generally unnecessary, since the broad, vague info they provide is all readily available online. Also, I would be hard pressed to believe anything those books had to say about cigars... probably a lot of old wives tales...
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I read this when I first started smoking cigars two years ago, at the same time started reading the forums. Learned a few things from the book, lots and lots of things from the forum.

The book was ok but the author kept saying the same things over and over. I kept thinking to myself "I got that point already...move on". It was good for me because I knew NOTHING about cigars. Haven't cracked open the book since.

I'm on the forums usually once a day and still learning things.

• Options
    never have read a idiots guide to anything but i would venture to say they at some point have to have some decent knowledge in them
  • Options
    Yup so far I haven't learned anything that I haven't already read here and he does repeat himself a lot . It would be a good book to have if someone didn't know about this forum.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    most books dont have the depth of knowledge that i crave now.
    at this point i am better off asking people that are neck-deep in the business.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I'll be psyched when the book Alex said he is writing comes out. Based on how informative and concise his posts are the book should be a great read.
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    bigharpoon:
    I'll be psyched when the book Alex said he is writing comes out. Based on how informative and concise his posts are the book should be a great read.
    Book on how to be big AND sexy?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ironhorse:
    bigharpoon:
    Book on how to be big AND sexy?
    Bromance?
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    I started reading this because I'm an idiot when it comes to cigars. Anyone else read it? What's your opinion of it I just started.
    maybe we should say there is no bad way to acquire knowledge? unless its Wikipedia
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've read this book... I liked it, not due to finding out all this CRAZY new cigar knowledge, but I like to get other people's opinions and I did pick up a couple tidbits of knowledge here and there from it
  • Options
    Alex's book probably would be very cool especially if he was to put in some of his expierences he's had on all his trips.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    most books dont have the depth of knowledge that i crave now.
    at this point i am better off asking people that are neck-deep in the business.
    I bet your cravings are sickening at this point... lol!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    First book I read about cigars. Had some good stuff in it, some stuff I didn't agree with. For example, the part where he says "The wrapper doesn't offer much different in taste.." or something like that...but for the most part, I enjoyed it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Yeah I caught that part to Krieg. I was surprised at that statement.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to Alex's book too, but I bet his editor will be overworked proofreading it; lol.