Home General Discussion
Options

Cuban flavor profile

Hey folks, greeting from Afghanistan. I have the rare privilege of traveling to Kandahar Air Base on occasions and buying Cuban cigars from some of the foreign post exchanges there. I’ve had Cohiba’s, R&J’s, and Montecristos. This question is for those among you who have actually smoked them (because I know someone who's never had a cuban will be temped to chime in and tell me they are over priced and over rated *smile*): Is there a cigar you can recommend that has the same type flavor profile as a Cuban? I haven’t ran into anything yet that is as smooth, “marshmallow-ish”  (if that’s even a way to describe them lol), creamy, and toasty tasting. They don’t seem to have a lot of spice either, but plenty of power. Be careful initially stand up =)

Any recommendations? I’ve had a Padilla Habano that was pretty close to this type flavor. Just curious for you guy's imput.

- Captain Adams

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can get them over there, but you could try the Sol Cuban Cuban Cabinet. I also really like the Ccom Cuban Label. Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic is another good one. The new Ccom Sungrown Label is a real spice bomb. And as far as Real ISOMs go, I like Roman Allones Specially Selected and Partagas Serie D No 4.

If I were you, I'd email Tim or Kelly and just tell them your looking for a nice sampler of Cuban-esque cigars. They'll hook you up.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have smoked quite afew cuban cigars and i do think they are over priced (sometimes) and nothing special. my favorite cigars are not cubans. there are some good ones out there. i like a few.

i just dont think i can name a single cigar that has a real cuban profile. some are better than some cubans. some arent. if you like it or not is personal preference. I just happen to like honduran tobacco more than cuban tobacco.
  • Options
    RianRian Posts: 30
    thanks for the input guys. I'll try the one's you recommended. I really like the montecristo no. 2, great smoke. Cigars are one of the few pleasures we get over here! ;)

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    half of my collection are Cubans, maybe more than half. I like them. I can't think of anything from anywhere else that I have tried that have that "Cuban flavour" that is unique to their cigars. Hoyo is great, H. Upman (Really like the Magnum 50's after a couple of year) are good, and anything authentic in a Cohiba is always a good stick, regardless of the price, IMO.

I like other cigars, but they just aren't the same, no matter how many times they put the word "Cuban" in the name.

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I find that most cubans have a distinct aroma and taste.... Nothing Overbearing, but some similarities between the ones that I've had. That is because they come from the same soil and climate...

Also, Cubans are PURO's meaning that they only have tobacco from their country. They rarely even mix their tobacco with other country's.
    The same could be said of dominican or nicaraguan cigars, they all have a hint of similarity, same as Cubans.

Just like Non-Cubans, the tastes can very greatly, but I've had mild and full bodied cigars and they all a certain something that make them all taste "Related"

If I had to describe a cigar that emanates "Cuban Flavor" it would be the Montecristo No. 4.... it's mild enough for you to taste what I'm talking about, and dang sure tasty to boot!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Rian:

Hey folks, greeting from Afghanistan. I have the rare privilege of traveling to Kandahar Air Base on occasions and buying Cuban cigars from some of the foreign post exchanges there. I’ve had Cohiba’s, R&J’s, and Montecristos. This question is for those among you who have actually smoked them (because I know someone who's never had a cuban will be temped to chime in and tell me they are over priced and over rated *smile*): Is there a cigar you can recommend that has the same type flavor profile as a Cuban? I haven’t ran into anything yet that is as smooth, “marshmallow-ish”  (if that’s even a way to describe them lol), creamy, and toasty tasting. They don’t seem to have a lot of spice either, but plenty of power. Be careful initially stand up =)

Any recommendations? I’ve had a Padilla Habano that was pretty close to this type flavor. Just curious for you guy's imput.

- Captain Adams

You already mentioned the Padilla Habano, and I agree. With some age on them they are actually a very cheap and very similar to some of the Montecristo's like the #2's.

• Options
    laker1963:
    Rian:

- Captain Adams

You already mentioned the Padilla Habano, and I agree. With some age on them they are actually a very cheap and very similar to some of the Montecristo's like the #2's.

I'm still waiting to smoke the #2 that I got from you... waiting on the right occasion... Maybe my girlfriend's first Negative pregnancy test!
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Trial and error my friend.We all have different taste.Try them all.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    laker1963:
    Rian:

- Captain Adams

I'm still waiting to smoke the #2 that I got from you... waiting on the right occasion... Maybe my girlfriend's first Negative pregnancy test!

LMAO!!
  • Options
    Thanks camgfs, and I agree with you, they are a fantastic stick regardless of price. You don't find cigar makers in Cuba putting other countries in the name. Have yet to see a Cuban cigar with DR in the name ;)

• Options
    That's because DR isn't the origin of the cigar manufacturing industry, nor does it have any embargo related "forbidden fruit" type hype to go along with it.

Just sayin ;)
  • Options
    mrpillow:
    That's because DR isn't the origin of the cigar manufacturing industry, nor does it have any embargo related "forbidden fruit" type hype to go along with it.

Just sayin ;)
    Don Pepin... the Juggernaut he is has this to say about cigars, the embargo and blending:
    [Don Pepin] takes another puff of his cigar, and thinks to the future.
    "Once Cuba opens, the Cubans are going to take leaf from Central America. They have more rollers than the leaf that they have," he says. He is asked if he would keep making cigars in Nicaragua if the embargo is dropped. He says he would. Then he is asked to blend the perfect cigar in his head.

He smiles broadly at the question, and says without hesitation that it would be a combination of Cuban-seed tobaccos grown in Nicaragua and Cuba. The wrapper would be from Cuba. The binder leaves would be from Nicaragua. For the ligero tobacco in the filler, he would use two types, one from Estel
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    mrpillow:

Just sayin ;)
    Don Pepin... the Juggernaut he is has this to say about cigars, the embargo and blending:
    "Once Cuba opens, the Cubans are going to take leaf from Central America. They have more rollers than the leaf that they have," he says. He is asked if he would keep making cigars in Nicaragua if the embargo is dropped. He says he would. Then he is asked to blend the perfect cigar in his head.

He smiles broadly at the question, and says without hesitation that it would be a combination of Cuban-seed tobaccos grown in Nicaragua and Cuba. The wrapper would be from Cuba. The binder leaves would be from Nicaragua. For the ligero tobacco in the filler, he would use two types, one from Estel
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Lasabar:
    mrpillow:

Just sayin ;)

• Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I was totally expexting lasabar to tell us a story about a cuban womans flavor profile.
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    I was totally expexting lasabar to tell us a story about a cuban womans flavor profile.
    Salted Pulled-Pork