Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three inches of snow yesterday and sixteen degrees last night. Still starting stuff today in flats.
  • Options
    timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    Rain and warmer weather for my neck of the woods today. Tomorrow tomatoes and cucumbers go into the ground, an event long awaited for as a milestone in the finalization of my finished garden. Next go in the beans and squash seed which I prefer to sow directly into the warming soil.
    Again, good luck this year with all of your garden plans and workings and may they all be blessed with abundance.
    Rodney.
    :-)
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got new tomato, pepper, squash, & basil seeds last week:

Set everything up this past weekend. Rigged up an old shelf for the lights & heat mats.
    32 tomatoes, 16 hot peppers, 16 sweet peppers, 8 basil, 8 dill, 12 squash.

Excited to see how they do, will update in a week or two when they sprout.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Rain and warmer weather for my neck of the woods today. Tomorrow tomatoes and cucumbers go into the ground, an event long awaited for as a milestone in the finalization of my finished garden. Next go in the beans and squash seed which I prefer to sow directly into the warming soil.
    Again, good luck this year with all of your garden plans and workings and may they all be blessed with abundance.
    Rodney.
    timtom lis a brony.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Rodney.
    Jelly of warmer weather!!
  • Options
    tomatoes, squash, basil, & dill coming up.
    no sign of the peppers yet, getting a little worried

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:

Looking good. Peppers take a little longer, especially the hotter varieties for some reason.
  • Options
    rsherman24:
    Looking good. Peppers take a little longer, especially the hotter varieties for some reason.
    Thanks! So far, so good.

And that's what I'm hoping, it's only been 8 days, figuring I'll give the peppers another week or so before I get too worked up about it.

• Options
    jgibv:
    i've turned off the heat mats, and have been running the lights ~12 hrs/day.

all of the tomato plants have their 1st (and some have 2nd) set of true leaves.
    dill and basil are coming along but still fairly small.
    about 75% of the peppers have sprouted and are starting to take off.
    the squash are growing like crazy; they'll either need to be potted up soon or possibly transplanted outdoors.

• Options
    Planted sugar snaps, snow peas, radishes, and spinach in one bed last weekend. Had two and ahalf inches of rain today. I hope it drys out a bit later this week. We picked a mess of young dandelions and had a wilted salad with bacon vinaigrette. Yum.
  • Options
    Our raised beds. Peas are up as are onion sets, radishes, garlic and spinach in the near bed on the left. I've got Nicotina Rustica the Aztec tobacco for ceremonal use, fennel, three kinds of basil, raddicho, lettuce, escarole, parsley in flats. I'm going to build a 7 x 9 ft cattle panel greenhouse this spring and will post picts. image
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really dig the heirloom varietals from baker creek. Have been using their seed for a few years now and have been pleased with the results, across the board.

http://www.rareseeds.com/

We usually do tomaters, melon, cukes, summer squash, and beans.

Gorram tiller is busted right now, so it looks like I'll be turning soil by hand this year

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    edited May 2015

jgibv said:

About 90% of the plants made it and have their 3rd+ set of leaves on them now. 

The tomatoes, peppers, and squash are all about 6" tall now and everything went in the ground last weekend. 

Basil and dill are a bit smaller but I'm sure they'll start to take off next week when the temps hit 80 again.

Got seeds in the ground for pumpkins, sunflowers, acorn squash, radishes, & beets now too.

The beds pictured below are all tomatoes, with a couple rows of radishes in between.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing super hots,tomatoes and cucumbers...I'm doing it all in pots this year and have started to try out hydroponics. Two of my peppers plants are starting to flower and most are starting to bud. I did start around January though so I got a good head start
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    I'm doing super hots,tomatoes and cucumbers...I'm doing it all in pots this year and have started to try out hydroponics. Two of my peppers plants are starting to flower and most are starting to bud. I did start around January though so I got a good head start
    Nice Lee! 
    What do you do with the super hots - dry them, make them into sauces, etc?  Serrano is about the highest I want for a day-to-day pepper. 

And whoa, January!  Yeah I'd say you got a real good head start.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Got some flowers today. The most I do are a few herbs and potted plants. Mint is springing up around the house.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

The garden is doing well this year after finally getting close to normal rainfall this spring. I am looking forward to many tomato sandwiches.

Rodney.

• Options
    Beat the birds to the cherry tree this year.....they are delicious!

Stemmed & pitted these ones; wife's gonna make up some cherry pies. Yum!

ed

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know how but we have red raspberry bushes growing on one side of the property.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Don't know how but we have red raspberry bushes growing on one side of the property.
    Mmmm. Loves me summa dem red raspberries..... B)
  • Options
    Sugar snaps and snow peas are flowering. We have been eating three kinds of lettuce and radishes. Two kinds of corn is up and our tomatoes and cukes and squash are looking good. Pole beans are crawing up tripods and carrots and beets finally sprouted. Swiss chard and mustard is ready to pick. Also got fennel and Aztec tobacco transplanted.We are trying sweet potatoes this year for something new. Basil ,cilantro, garlic, parsley and oregno in our spice bed. Just panted another flat of basil and lettuce. Boy do I like summer. 
  • Options
    jgibv said:
    Nice Lee! 
    What do you do with the super hots - dry them, make them into sauces, etc?  Serrano is about the highest I want for a day-to-day pepper. 

And whoa, January!  Yeah I'd say you got a real good head start.
    Have not made my mind up yet with what to do with them...probably some hot sauce,salsa and stupid man challenges. 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    A little bhut starting to form!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bigger plants are potatoes and the newly sprouted are green beans and China peas.
  • Options
    Bump for current pics gardeners
  • Options
    Glad you bumped it Shizz. Here are a few of garden picts. First is a flat of basil Thia and Italian. 
  • Options
    Got a new op system on our computer. Going to have to figure out how to post picts.
  • Options
    I think I got it. a flat of this and italian basil.image
  • Options
    Nicatina Rustica Aztec tobacco for ceremonial use. and our spice bed.  imageimageimage
  • Options
    Our rasied beds. Peas, beans, swiss chard, lettuce etc. image