Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Lol bro need has got nothing to do with it, I am always happy to share :)
    Good man.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    90+ Irishman:
    Lol bro need has got nothing to do with it, I am always happy to share :)
    Good man.
    PM to you brother ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Very nice Doug!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

Nose: Very mild and soft nose on this. Grain heavy but once again in a mild way, vanilla and toffee with a touch of char on the finish.

Palate: Light body with a thinner mouth feel. Citrus notes show up first but quickly recede to a woody and dry finish. The burn comes on quickly and makes it seem like it's going to hurt but never does it warms up and then teases you before slowing and becoming very mild and enjoyable with a long slow burn. Letting it breath for 15 min settles it down quite a bit and becomes rather enjoyable with a light sugary end.

With a few drops of water: This one opens up quite a bit more than I expected and I personally prefer it this way. Added about 4 drops and left it alone for 10 min. The citrus and caramel come out quite a bit more and there is a bit more peppery spice up front that is different and separate from the burn at the end. The finish picks up a smokiness and then a light lemon honey tone that lasts through the long slow warm burn. I like this better this way.

Not my normal drink but so far enjoying it quite a bit.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    photo AE170A27-D116-4F71-9873-DBC6F991378A.jpg
  • Options
    That looks pretty good and the description on the label sounds fantastic, hope it treated you right brother :)
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    That looks pretty good and the description on the label sounds fantastic, hope it treated you right brother :)
    Cant find that one at the local bevmo,,;o)
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:

Nose: Very mild and soft nose on this. Grain heavy but once again in a mild way, vanilla and toffee with a touch of char on the finish.

Palate: Light body with a thinner mouth feel. Citrus notes show up first but quickly recede to a woody and dry finish. The burn comes on quickly and makes it seem like it's going to hurt but never does it warms up and then teases you before slowing and becoming very mild and enjoyable with a long slow burn. Letting it breath for 15 min settles it down quite a bit and becomes rather enjoyable with a light sugary end.

With a few drops of water: This one opens up quite a bit more than I expected and I personally prefer it this way. Added about 4 drops and left it alone for 10 min. The citrus and caramel come out quite a bit more and there is a bit more peppery spice up front that is different and separate from the burn at the end. The finish picks up a smokiness and then a light lemon honey tone that lasts through the long slow warm burn. I like this better this way.

Thanks for the notes,, I have no problem adding water to even the lower proof bourbons. Its amazing how some will really open up..
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:

Thanks for the notes,, I have no problem adding water to even the lower proof bourbons. Its amazing how some will really open up..
  • Options
    Thanks Rudy and yeah the water helped this one and really opened it up, I enjoyed it quite a bit more when the water had worked its magic for 10-15 min :)
  • Options
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Cant find that one at the local bevmo,,;o)
    Lol not surprised that looks kinda special, besides we don't even have any BevMo's here in Colorado ;)
  • Options
    Here's my little review of the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, thanks again Gray easily the most unique and interesting one I've had so far!

Nose: This is one of the more interesting noses I've smelled so far. It's a bit sour tannic actually but not in an unpleasant way, reminiscent of a nice dark wine. Oak, leather, coffee, honey and citrus, yum.

Palate: Very smooth at first when it first hits your tongue, quickly builds into a very dominating oak and leather note and then just a as quickly fades into a honey and hazelnut coffee finish that hangs on for minutes after tasting. Citrus, leather and oak are the main players in the mid palate and finish with the burn always being a mild partner in the background, very enjoyable and different! The longer I sip on this the more it grows on me and I'm picking up some chat and burnt sugar delayed on the finish, loving it :)

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Here's my little review of the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, thanks again Gray easily the most unique and interesting one I've had so far!

Nose: This is one of the more interesting noses I've smelled so far. It's a bit sour tannic actually but not in an unpleasant way, reminiscent of a nice dark wine. Oak, leather, coffee, honey and citrus, yum.

Palate: Very smooth at first when it first hits your tongue, quickly builds into a very dominating oak and leather note and then just a as quickly fades into a honey and hazelnut coffee finish that hangs on for minutes after tasting. Citrus, leather and oak are the main players in the mid palate and finish with the burn always being a mild partner in the background, very enjoyable and different! The longer I sip on this the more it grows on me and I'm picking up some chat and burnt sugar delayed on the finish, loving it :)

Love that stuff.
  • Options
    Yeah Drew, I was not a super big fan at first but by the end of it I was singing a different tune, the tannic settled down and a lot more sweetness came out including some char and a bit of a salty tone which I loved! Probably wouldn't buy a bottle based on price alone for a while, but really enjoyed it a lot all the same!
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Do yall like old gran dad? Picked up a small bottle to try yesterday.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    V-8 Fusion Peach Mango.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Do yall like old gran dad? Picked up a small bottle to try yesterday.
    I have yet to have the opportunity to try it but it's high up on my list for pick up. Heard wonderful things and that especially for Hugh proof it's one of the best values around and good enough to do neat! Enjoy Roland, please post your thoughts :)
  • Options
    Widow Jane 7 Year Bourbon

Hey sourced or not I don't care this is still a damn good drink and if you can allow it to open up for an hour or so it really becomes outstanding with dark fruit and plum finish and sweet spicy caramel, dig it.

Nose: This is a fantastic nose that is one of my favs so far. It has this depth of plum, cinnamon, leather, spice and of course vanilla and charred oak. Some toffee is present as well as a touch of pepper.

Palate: This is a bolder offering which is probably why I tend to like it as much as I do. Big flavors assault your senses right off the bat. Oaky notes are the big player in the background with vanilla, pepper, dark sweet fruits and just a touch of nuttiness. There is a bit of spice always present and the burn while staying relatively medium bodied is present for most of the whole sip but building to a nice tingle and staying there for minutes after a swill. Longer finish with a light dark fruit and plum hint that lingers for me. Very nice pour!

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    A steady standby. I love this scotch. A great great for when you want a great dram and not have to burn a brain cell on it. photo 35474EDA-0798-4EBF-9AEC-317A9710F8E1.jpg
  • Options
    All the talk about Old Fashioned and I couldn't resist.
  • Options
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    All the talk about Old Fashioned and I couldn't resist.
    Looks outstanding bro!!
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    Good stuff right there! I'm about due for a nice Davidoff. Maybe tomorrow or Monday
  • Options
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    Good stuff right there! I'm about due for a nice Davidoff. Maybe tomorrow or Monday
    Far and away hands down the single best bourbon I have had to date, smoothest and so damn flavorful and bright, just flat zero burn and I was doing it neat too! Worth every penny and then some for me.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    Far and away hands down the single best bourbon I have had to date, smoothest and so damn flavorful and bright, just flat zero burn and I was doing it neat too! Worth every penny and then some for me.
    Man that looks good. Best bourbon?? I gotta try that. Davidoff looking good as always
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Looks like an advert inside a magazine, Nice photo Brett. That old fashioned looks pretty tasty too!!!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Looks like an advert inside a magazine, Nice photo Brett. That old fashioned looks pretty tasty too!!!
    Thanks Rudy much appreciated :) The picture doesn't show it well but that was a large dram of the Cask Strength served up neat. Haven't done a Old Fashioned yet will probably tomorrow night. Getting the maraschino cherries and sugar cubes tomorrow.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    Man that looks good. Best bourbon?? I gotta try that. Davidoff looking good as always
    Especiallh of you like sweeter bourbons (I tend to so far) then this is going to be one of the best you have. Amazingly good :)
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    The Kid:
    Thanks Rudy much appreciated :) The picture doesn't show it well but that was a large dram of the Cask Strength served up neat. Haven't done a Old Fashioned yet will probably tomorrow night. Getting the maraschino cherries and sugar cubes tomorrow.
    Don't forget the umbrella,,hahaha,, ;o)