Home General Discussion
Options

making a humidor outta dis

wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
image so this old beauty is made of cedar and seals decent. so im going to make her a multi-level humidor. I may update the results. not really sure this is the right section. sorry if its not.
I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
"I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lined with aromatic cedar or spanish cedar?

if aromatic cedar, hate to burst your bubble but that's no bueno.

they're 2 entirely different woods --- (regular) aromatic cedar is too "aromatic" and can taint the flavor of cigars. spanish cedar is what you want, it's a close relative to mahogany.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Oh I should look into that. Doesnt smell much but its old.
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool chest! Throw a couple of small coolers in there,..............done!
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Brilliant and lazy lol right up my alley. May do that if its the wrong grain...or reline with the right stuff...probably whatever is cheaper lol
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Bob Luken:
    Brilliant and lazy lol right up my alley. May do that if its the wrong grain...or reline with the right stuff...probably whatever is cheaper lol
    Cheaper would be to throw a cooler in there. Spanish cedar won't be cheap unless you peice together a whole bunch of old cigar box's. Either way I'd take out the original cedar
  • Options
    FireRob:
    wahooschock:
    Bob Luken:
    Cheaper would be to throw a cooler in there. Spanish cedar won't be cheap unless you peice together a whole bunch of old cigar box's. Either way I'd take out the original cedar
    hard to tell what size that trunk is ... but i agree.
    bet it'd be around $100 to line the whole thing with spanish cedar, possibly more.

• Options
    Well grain looks like spanish cedar and almost no smell and no red so just have to clean it out and get to work.I may just get cigar boxes to help fill space and keep humidity up. Thanks for the input brothers.
  • Options
    And its 30w x 18l x 15d
  • Options
    wahooschock:
    Well grain looks like spanish cedar and almost no smell and no red so just have to clean it out and get to work.I may just get cigar boxes to help fill space and keep humidity up. Thanks for the input brothers.
    sweet. they say you can test the aroma by gently moistening and sniffing a small area. If you like it, use it. awesome.
    wahooschock:
    And its 30w x 18l x 15d
    definitely lots of room for smokes in that. about the size of the one i made.
    keep us posted on the progress.

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might want to talk to Toombes before you get too far into it and his experience making a humi out of one of those.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    As old as that looks the cedar would not be red any more. Got any pics of the inside? Also if you take some sand paper to a small inconspicuous area, if it gives off an almost sweet smell your looking at something other then Spanish cedar. Some pics will go a long way
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Oh I should look into that. Doesnt smell much but its old.
    sand a spot down a bit until the wood looks "fresh" then smell it. makes it easier to tell.
  • Options
    Though it looks and smells right im just going to put some coolidors and tupidors in it instead. It is an antique and there are pictures inside I dont want to destroy to make a humidor. Oh well. Will be a great storage space and looks better than coolers sitting around lol.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a neat project. The tupperdors should help.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Any new progress with this? you should post some better pics!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    Big''nBall''n:
    Any new progress with this? you should post some better pics!
    No updates yet. Spent my cigar budget on my order and shipping bombs and passes lol. Next month ill be updating. Kinda hard to kick ghosts out of the house and pictures lol.