Home General Discussion
Options

Do you smoke cigars to smoke cigars or for a good exprerience?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
I see a ton of people buy bundled cigars and very cheap cigars...not that there's anything wrong with that. But in my experience you mostly get what you pay for. If I walked into a shop I'd go for at least a padron or fuente but I see many buying stuff that well has nothing besides nicotine. So my question is why buy sub par cigars vs a cigar you will get much more enjoyment out of?!
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been a fan of dirt cheap cigars... just not worth it for me, however I have bought a few bundles of seconds, discontinued's, or other sale cigars that are in the $2 range. While those are good, more and more lately I've been of the persuasion of smoke less often and smoke better.

Smoking everyday makes it hard to spend $7 on a cigar, but couple times a week, sure! School and working has kept me busy, so when I smoke now, I want a really good experience and don't want to fool with a crappy construction or off taste. I think I'm also becoming pickier in what I like too... If it tastes mediocre to me, I would rather not deal with it at all. I don't want an "ok" smoke anymore, but something I know I will enjoy a lot.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I have to say simple answer is for a good experience

A Padron is one of my favorites but not always in the budget. I'll save the Padron for special occasions.

I was buying the cheap bundles before I knew any better, but have gotten a little wiser with my shopping and can almost get a decent box cigars for what I was paying for a bundle of Tampa Trolleys. Now, When I go to my local cigar shop I hardly bat an eye when I pay $10 to $15 for a single stick to smoke while I am there, but unfortunately sometimes those $15 sticks are not any better then the $1 Tampa Trolley's.

I always buy, weather its a cheapo or premo, and hope for a good experience. Sometimes the money in the wallet dictates which way I go.
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Definitely for the experience and the taste of a good cigar and not just to say I'm smoking a cigar. Now that experience could be a social one or just me by myself in my backyard. I get enjoyment out of both. My wife's step dad says he smokes cigars and then pulls out a pack of Swishers. I couldn't do that since I used to use those for other purposes. To each their own I guess. Who am I to look down upon that if he enjoys them!
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    D Fresh:
    Definitely for the experience and the taste of a good cigar and not just to say I'm smoking a cigar. Now that experience could be a social one or just me by myself in my backyard. I get enjoyment out of both. My wife's step dad says he smokes cigars and then pulls out a pack of Swishers. I couldn't do that since I used to use those for other purposes. To each their own I guess. Who am I to look down upon that if he enjoys them!
    Sorry. Curiosity got the best of me. What were the "other purposes"?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't buy those cigars, how will you know they aren't good or you won't like them?
    How do you condemn a cheap cigar if you've never tried it and only buy "top shelf" cigars?
    If I were to condemn every cigar that was a bundle or budget cigar, I would have never found cigars like the Torano Hogshead, which is a bundle cigar and I've purchased several bundles for $30/bundle (or mazo).

If a cigar catches my eye, I don't care if it's a $3 cigar or $20 cigar. I don't base my decision on price or whether it's a bundle cigar. I base it on a lot of things. Smell, look and feel mostly.

And yes, I've ended up with some horrid cigars in the process, but I've found quite a few gems.
    To me anyways.

As for whether I smoke to smoke or to have a good experience, I would have to say that I smoke to have any experience. Even smoking a cigar that may not be totally what I like is an experience that provokes the thought process.
    Do I like it? What don't I like about it? Maybe they could have done something differently? What does or doesn't it have, that another cigar has that tastes much better? Even the physics behind why this cigar smokes so differently than another almost identical cigar. All these things create an experience.

The one thing that I have found in cigars is that saying that you get what you pay for is subjective.
    I have had some horrid expensive cigars and some excellent bundle cigars.

Even a top sirloin done wrong is still a crappy steak.
    But then again, there is no accounting for my taste, because I like Cameroons.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    D Fresh:
    Lots like to dissect them and fill with other substances
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    AshMe:
    D Fresh:
    I would generally empty them and fill them with something a little greener :)
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    D Fresh:
    AshMe:
    D Fresh:
    I would generally empty them and fill them with something a little greener :)
    Haha. I got you bro. :)
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can it be something else other than smoking? When I do the "something else", I do it for the high. Infact, it's been awhile (grinding teeth, scratching face)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most of the time im smoking om the back patio just me and Gus(my dog).so its usually for the enjoyment and the time to step out of all the bsuy stuff and just relax.i do occasionally go out and hit up local cigar bar to be with others but still prefer a good quality smoke if i can.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Relaxation, man I miss it.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    twistedstem:
    most of the time im smoking om the back patio just me and Gus(my dog).so its usually for the enjoyment and the time to step out of all the bsuy stuff and just relax.i do occasionally go out and hit up local cigar bar to be with others but still prefer a good quality smoke if i can.
    +1. Definitely agree with the stepping out of the busy stuff and relaxing. That's my enjoyment on a solo level for sure.
  • Options
    roland_7707:
    Relaxation, man I miss it.
    Where'd it go? Gotta find time for that!
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I think the Q? has to be in context somewhat. Here at Cigar.com I am paying a good % lower for very good sticks and great sticks that I could not get in your local Cigar shop or club. many of the 7$ stick are marked up, not that those here did not know that already. It is for the experience no doubt about that but Cigar.com helps me do that :) and more of it :). Never would have gotten a 100 ct. humi without those here schooling me. would not have almost 100 sticks and I think good ones too at the price I would have to pay somewhere else. and there are some great people here too that is I think a great experience. I have a saying about bad beer, it may fit with Cigars too let see : " it's better to smoke cheap cigars with good friends, then to smoke expensive cigar alone "...
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I smoke dog rockets so it makes me appreciate the good smokes.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually get up looking forward to the first cup of coffee and a Cinco Vegas Gold Churchill. It sets the day and it wasn't too long ago I didn't have that pleasure, and I did not know what I was missing.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I see a ton of people buy bundled cigars and very cheap cigars...not that there's anything wrong with that. But in my experience you mostly get what you pay for. If I walked into a shop I'd go for at least a padron or fuente but I see many buying stuff that well has nothing besides nicotine. So my question is why buy sub par cigars vs a cigar you will get much more enjoyment out of?!
    i dont have time to smoke cigars all the time. i buy what i like with little attention paid to price. i smoke less but higher quality. Im worth it.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    quality for me. life isn't worth smoking crappy cigars. ~snoobie
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke/buy what I like, in my opinion there are $20+ cigars that are not worth it. For me I like smoking cigars, it's relaxing and I get my vitamin N. I go for quality over quantity, but every one has different tasts, so if I like a "cheap cigar" il smoke them.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do it to pretend I'm a dragon.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to smoke for the experience, doing what I have to do then sit and relax. Can't speak for others but maybe their budget is the reason. Maybe they smoke so much they need to get a bargain. When I was younger and used to drink just to get drunk I would buy cheap stuff by the half gallon. I now buy the good stuff, sip it and really taste it. Much more enjoyable and the next morning and I remember what I did. Although I still love spam, fried
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Zero Patience, you can find some gems in the budget bundles... and some not so good. I like to get the Thrifty Fifty sampler here and you get some really great cigars for $2 bucks.

I've gotten some really expensive cigars as gifts (too cheap to buy my own) and they were great, but I've also enjoyed the $2 smokes.

I smoke for the relaxation and the experience of the cigar and the lighting ritual. It forces me to sit for an hour and a half or so and just chill, talk to the wife and spend some quality time with my sons.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    I agree with Zero Patience, you can find some gems in the budget bundles... and some not so good. I like to get the Thrifty Fifty sampler here and you get some really great cigars for $2 bucks.

I've gotten some really expensive cigars as gifts (too cheap to buy my own) and they were great, but I've also enjoyed the $2 smokes.

I smoke for the relaxation and the experience of the cigar and the lighting ritual. It forces me to sit for an hour and a half or so and just chill, talk to the wife and spend some quality time with my sons.

I'm with these fellers. Describes my feelings exactly.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    You can't judge a cigar by the price tag.

Way too often, a nine buck cigar, especially the boutiques, the blender is rolling the dice, trying too hard to be different. I hit more darn sour flops over six bucks than anywhere else. Conversely, way more often than some here would think, a 35 buck bundle of Fonseca Aranas you look forward to every next one. Just Monday, for instance, someone had sent me a ten buck gem, wonderful band, wonderful construction, but gack. Chucked it after half an inch and reached for a home rolled to wash the taste away. My present faves run from Don Benigno at 250 for a box of 25 to FX Smith Smithdale at 60 for a box of fifty. When judging enjoyment, I try not to consider price at all.

You just can't judge a cigar by the price tag.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not against smoking cheap cigars, but it is usually when I am in the yard, golfing, grilling where I am not really paying attention to it. When I get to sit and enjoy it with a drink or at a B&M, I go for something I like/want to try regardless of price.
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    " it's better to smoke cheap cigars with good friends, then to smoke expensive cigar alone "...

Agree to disagree.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Only time I would ever buy a cheap bundle is to hand out to non-cigar smokers...last thing I want to see is a good premium handmade smashed in an ash tray like a cigarette after two puffs. When I smoke cigars for myself, it is for the aroma, the atmosphere, experience and special moments I share with myself or close friends.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I only smoke for the experience, and never just to smoke cigars habitually. I don't have time to smoke more than 1-2 a week, so if I'm going to do it, and get all the stinky breath and fingers that come with it, I only want to smoke a cigar of high quality. That said, I've smoked plenty of more expensive cigars (Liga Pravada 9, anyone) that were just awful and made me want to give up the hobby altogether.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I like cheap cigars because i like to smoke on the go, or while im working.

I might forget about it, smash it, chew it apart or just pitch it because of whatever situation comes about. Id cry if i was treating premi prem prems like this. But I still enjoy smoking a cigar, every smoke is a personal "moment" for me, even if it is a 2 dollar stick - its better then a cigarette to just feed the fix.

Aj