Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Good review, Kuzi. Sounds like a must try.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    9-25-2013 been in humidor since 6-12-2013
    My Father El Centurion 2013 Toro (6.25 x 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun-Grown Criollo 98
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaragaun Criollo, Nicaraguan Corojo, Nicaraguan Sancti Spiritus
    Blender: Don Pepin Garcia

In 2007 the original El Centurian was released by Don Pepin Garcia. This was the first real limited edition cigar put out by the company. Many have claimed that this cigar was the best offering that DPG had to offer. The blend has joined the ranks of the legendary Avo 22 and Original release OpusX as a super rare cigar that is lusted after in the dreams of aficionados everywhere. The original El Centurian was a run of 850 -20 count boxes of three vitolas (51,000 cigars) with a release of 4,000 lanceros (2 in a sampler only) later that year for a total of 55,000 cigars. All of the first three sizes (Guerreros – 5 x 50, Gladiadores – 6 1/2 x 52, Emperadores – 5 1/2 x 52) were sold out before noon on the first day of the (then named) RTDA. If you happen to have ever had one of these, consider yourself lucky. The blend of the original was a Nicaraguan Habano wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder and the filler was Nicaraguan grown Criollo 98 and Nicaraguan grown Corojo 99 leaves aged for three years.
    This cigar was allegedly the personal blend of Don Pepin Garcia and is said to have qualities that harkened back to the old Cuban Cohibas that people **** after today.

In 2011, DPG was distributing a cigar by the name of My Father Special S at My Father Events. This cigar had a band and a blending style that was very reminiscent of the El Centurion. Due to a legal dispute with a business partner at the time, Garcia was not able to distributed as “El Centurion.”

In 2013 DPG and My Father cigars had a press release to announce that the El Centurion was coming back. The cigar was released to celebrate the 10th anniversary of DPG and is no longer a limited edition. The cigar that left the cigar world wanting more was making a comeback, and the anticipation was palpable.

The new cigar with the old name will not actually be anything like the old blend other than the fact that the tobacco will all originate from Nicaragua. Other than that, it is effectively a new blend.

There are a few familiar things about it. The Nicaraguan Criollo 98 used on the wrapper is a tobacco that has been used before in many DPG blends as either wrapper of as filler, a similar leaf used in the original El Centurian. The Nicaraguan Corojo is also a fairly familiar sight in DPG blends, but the leaf that stands out as something new and special is the Sancti Spiritus. This is only the second cigar affiliated with DPG to carry this strain of tobacco, the fist being L’Atelier Selection Special where it was used as a wrapper.

The look of the cigar is fairly dark and the wrapper looks thick. A few dominant veins are noticeable. The band is gold, red and cream with a large C in the center. This is very close to the original 2007 band with just a subtly different color scheme.

In the hand the cigar feels very firm and also very light. The texture of the wrapper is rough, almost like sandpaper. The aroma that this cigar is strong and very barnyard. When the cap is licked the rough texture is easily felt on the tongue and some of earth is tasted. A clip with a double guillotine reveals a nice draw with the right amount of resistance. This draw has earthy and chocolatey notes.

The usual soft flame starts this cigar off with notes of wood and a sweetness akin to hearty root vegetables. This has a finish of sharp cedar and a bit of spice. The spice is a classic Pepin style spice of a soft black pepper that shows up and dies out quickly without overpowering during the finish.

El Centurion settles in fairly quickly to a sweeter woody note and the usual Nicaraguan tones are subtle. The texture is not what I expect out of the tobacco from that country.

This sweetness continues on into the second third with predominantly cedar flavors. The soft spice has moved mostly to the finish, witch is very short. Near the end of the middle third some herbal flavors come out. Other than that the middle third is not very different than the first.

The flavors are still a bit static going into the last third. The flavors are good but they do not change. The wood creeps back in as the last third moves along. Through the nose it is all DPG pepper and a bit of sharp earth. The cigar ends with no new flavors but it is still quite enjoyable.

This seems like it will do well with age. with any luck flavors that are being over powered will be able to come out and play.

Time: 2 hours 20 min.

burn: 10
    draw: 9
    taste: 9
    aftertaste: 9
    construction: 10
    balance: 9
    feel: 8

Overall: 9.1

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Based on that review I had a Centurian today and absolutely loved it. Thanks Kuzi!!!
  • Options
    Poopy Jones:
    Based on that review I had a Centurian today and absolutely loved it. Thanks Kuzi!!!
    what did you think of the flavors?

• Options
    kuzi16:

I'm not who you asked, but..... I had a similar experience to you kuzi, with my takeaway being that it was enjoyable, but really not very memorable or special at all. I was hoping for more, honestly.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Poopy Jones:

This was my second MF stick ( the first one was a Flor De Las Antillas ). I got earthy musty flavors from the get go which were balanced and pleasant. The final third notched the strength up but never got harsh or bitter. Very enjoyable flavors throughout. As I try more sticks hopefully I can ( in the future ) better express the flavors that I'm getting. I can tell you that I will have this stick again. It reminds me if the first time I had a Padron. Game changer and I will have more
  • Options
    10-2-2013
    Gran Habano S.T.K Zulu Zulu Habano Lancero (7.5 x 40)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: George A. Rico

The Zulu Zulu, with only 1000 cigars being made (500 with the Habano wrapper and 500 with the Connecticut wrapper), is a very short run. It is rumored that the blend was the personal blend of George A. Rico for many years. Rico, seeing some of his other blends (Gran Habano, GAR) become successful, decided to release this cigar as limited edition to raise awareness of the organization known as “Invisible Children.” According to their website, this organization’s goal is to “end the use of child soldiers in Joseph Kony’s rebel war and restore LRA-affected communities in central Africa to peace and prosperity.“

This goal of the cigar and the organization is actually the inspiration of the over-sized band depicting children soldiers. At first, people may feel that this is in appropriate. However, when it is supposed to remind us about the struggles happening half way around the world it is clear that the images are supposed to be shocking. They are intentionally shocking or else they make no impact. S.T.K. Stands for “Save The Kids.” A portion of each box purchase goes to Invisible Children.

There have been other releases from the S.T.K. line. The first release was in 2011 and featured the Zulu Zulu and the Opium. In 2012, the Barracuda was added to the line and 2013 brought on the American puro. This is an ongoing line with every year being an LE that comands a higher price than most Gran Habanos but is also for a good cause.

The Zulu Zulu has two bands the first band is the only one seen in the initial presentation. It is red and blue and depicts black and white photographs of children holding very large guns. This band covers about 80% of the cigar itself. When the large “dress band” is removed two things are visible. First is a bit of a fold in the wrapper where a corner was torn up and folded down before the big band was added. The second is the second band.
    The second band is black and red with the name of the cigar written on it.

the cigar itself has a chocolate brown wrapper with veins from the binder pushing through. The seems are obvious but not sticking out at all save for the minor fold that looks like damage created while banding. A very nice pigtail caps this lancero off.

The smell is fairly light but leans to the woody side. A lick on the cap is a bit of sassafras. There is an oily feel on the tongue as well. After a cut with a double guillotine the cold draw is a bit firm and has licorice and sassafras notes on it.

Soft flame light.
    The first few puffs are very woody and have a very pulpy texture. Through the nose there is no burn at all. It is smooth. A light mushroom and wood note on that retrohale is quite enjoyable. Notes of leather seem to be hinted at. As the cigar settles in more and more of the Nicaraguan spice sneaks in through the nose. It is still subtle and comes off like a light white pepper. The first flavor off the draw is a sweeter wood/earth transitioning into a solid wood note. Through the nose it is cedar and a slight mushroom note with the slight white pepper in the distant background. It is smooth and easy to smoke.

The middle third is a bit more bold the spice is still soft but it is more of the dominant flavor but there is no more pick up of spice through the nose. The wood is a bit more earth and leather now and the pulp texture is ticking up. The aftertaste is turning a bit to the ashtray side but only slightly.

The final third loses the ashtray feel and returns to the flavors seen in the initial third. The pepper has turned to a black pepper flavor with very little “heat” associated with it. This third seems to be the most complex and flavorful. Though it would be even better if the retrohale was as good as the first third. The Zulu Zulu ends with a dwindling flavor profile. It slowly flattens out from about 1.5inches out to the end.

I feel that the build and then decline of flavor is very interesting. It is probably caused by smoking to the sweet spot of the filler leaf then passing it and therefore it wanes at the end. This is actually the same reason why I find the “A” vitola of any cigar interesting.

Burn to the burn
    Time 2 hours 5 min

feel: 9

Overall: 9.3

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    10-8-13 been in humidor since 9-28-11
    Man 'O War Special Edition (7.1 x 58 Solomon)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Blender: A.J. Fernandez

The Man 'O War line is one of the center pieces of the Fernandez factory. The original Man 'O War has Nicaraguan fillers and binder with an Ecuadorian wrapper. The Ruination is a mixture of Nicaraguan and Honduran fillers with a different and higher priming Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. The Man 'O war Special Edition is the combination of the original Man 'O War and the Man 'O War Ruination. The fillers are from the original and the wrapper is from the Ruination.

The Band on the Man 'O War Special edition is the same band that is on the original Man 'O War. The gold, red, and silver on a black background is done quite well even if the Spartan helmet on the band is out of date in relation to the name of the cigar. (“Man 'O War” refers to a Naval ship that carries Men of war to battle from the 1600s to the 1800s. The full name is “man-of-warship." The “ship” was dropped over the years). The shape is a bit imposing. The construction looks wonderful even though the wrapper seems rugged. This particular cigar has been resting since 9-28-11 giving it a bit over two years in the humidor. The cellophane has yellowed quite a bit in those years. The amount of yellowing seems almost out of proportion to the time frame. This could be a testament to the oily quality of the wrapper.

The smell of this Man 'O War is still very strong as if it were a young cigar but it is not young. There is a bit of an oily feel on the fingers and also on the lips. The taste of the wrapper before the cut is surprisingly sweet but that transitions to a spice fairly quickly. After a cut with a double guillotine there are notes of a sweet earth, a bit of general barnyard and then a hint at cola all in a draw that has a very nice resistance.

A light with a soft flame seems comparatively difficult being unable to see the foot of the cigar over the bulb of the soloman shape. To aid with this, a longer toast is needed. The first few puffs have a heavy spice to them. There is a sweet and spicy wood quality. This spicy start is typical for the AJ Fernandez blending style. This cigar seems like a prime candidate for the blending style simply because of the shape. AJ seems to like to “front load” his cigars with ligero giving a very spicy start to the blends. Since this cigar is larger at the foot there is more room to make this concept happen. Even with all this ligero, there is an underlying fruity sweetness that balances out the beginning. The Nicaraguan pulpy texture is coming through in spades on the back of the palate. Through the nose there is a hefty dose of spice and a bit of earth. Surprisingly the finish is not too long. It ends just when it needs to.

By the middle third the cigar has mellowed considerably. The overall profile is there, just more mild in nature. The sweet wood quality still is there for the most part leaning to aromatic cedar, not Spanish cedear. The texture has died down a bit to just a mild white pepper note. Leather and peat notes start to appear on the finish in this third as well. The flavor through the middle third gets more intense due to the wrapper to filler ratio getting better (more wrapper to filler). It always remains balanced though a but more change would be welcome on such a large (longer smoking) cigar.

The final third is a bit more bitter. There is a dark bitter beer quality. Other than that it is mostly the same. The last third slides down from there.

Burn to the band
    time: 2 hours 30 min.

this cigar is not as good as the Ruination or as good as the Original. A smaller size would be better as well.

burn: 9
    taste: 8
    aftertaste: 8

Overall: 8.7

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Iv never had that one Kuzi, but I like the rest of the line. Another good review.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    10-15-13 been in humidor since 8-13-12
    La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Obelisco
    (box pressed pyramid 5 x 57-44)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan
    Blenders: Team La Gloria Cubana (Yuri Guillen, Michael Giannini and Rick Rodriguez)

The Artesanos de Obelisco was released in September of 2010. It is part of the Artesanos series.

The shape of the cigar is usually discussed later in the review but given that the shape of the cigar plays a part in the creation of this specific blend, it does need to be mentioned early. This is a box pressed pyramid. The foot is a ring of 57 that tapers down to a 44 over five inches. The box press is quite drastic. This shape is very specific, and it gives the name to this cigar. An “obelisco” is (roughly) the shape of the Monument to the Heroes of the Restoration in the Dominican Republic. An obelisk is also the shape of this cigar.

A certain expectation of quality is expected out of this cigar as far as construction goes. The construction of this particular shape, even the un-box-pressed version, is fairly difficult to construct. Adding a box press into the mix makes it a bit more of a wild card. To get a standard box press cigar the roller must underfill the cigar by a hair to make it take to the press in a way that wont damage the wrapper; this is no easy task. When making a standard pyramid shaped cigar the taper requires a very specific reduction of the filler to make the taper work; This is no easy task either. Only top rollers are are able to roll this. Hence, the expectation of quality.

As discussed above, the cigar has a unique shape. This box pressed pyramid looks almost like a railroad spike in shape. The wrapper is not uniform in tone but an all natural maduro will have a natural color variation so this is to be expected. The band is the classic LGC woman but like the others in the Artesanos. It has a more aged fresco look to it. There is a secondary band that is gold and black with the Name of the cigar on it. Overall a decent presentation.

There is still a fairly heavy smell to the cigar it has a bit of an autumn smell to it with a bit of barnyard. The lick on the cap is sweeter than expected and leaves an oily residue on the lips. The clip of the cap with a double guillotine is difficult but it turns out clean. The draw is on the firm side but still very acceptable. The draw has a very unique flavor. It has a candy quality to it in a Belgian candy sugar sort of way.

Light with a soft flame. The initial puffs are on the coffee and coco side. A hint at spice begins when the smoke is held. Through the nose the candy qualities come through. There is also a “yeast” note that is reminiscent of brewers yeast. The initial flavors are in the same family of flavors as a Belgian Abby double ale does. The only addition would be a tiny hint at pepper. The burn in the first third is not perfect. One side does seem to burn faster and after much hope of self correction, a relight is needed.

The middle third becomes more spicy as it goes along. The underlying Belgian flavors seem to fade as the spice builds. A more woody Nicaraguan feel comes out as well. As the burn moves on it becomes a very different cigar. By the end it feels more like a classic Nicaraguan cigar with wood and spice and eventually the pulpy texture of the smoke. The only opisitive change is a slightly floral note is added to the aftertaste. The wrapper near the end of the middle third starts to flake. It is not causing any major burn issues but all the flavor may not be getting through.

The final third is unremarkable. The flavor has lost all interesting notes. The unique qualities it once had have slipped away like the wider ring gauge. Even the floral note fades. It never slips into “bad” but it is more flavorful and interesting at the beginning than at the end. There are again burn issues and another corrective light is needed.

Burn to the nub:
    time 1 hour 45 minutes.

burn: 8
    construction: 8

Overall: 8.4

• Options
    0-31-13 been in humidor since 6-27-13
    Room 101 San Andres 213 (5.5
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    0-31-13 been in humidor since 6-27-13
    Room 101 San Andres 213 (5.5
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    11-18-2013
    Saint Luis Rey Serie A (5.6 x 46)
    Wrapper: Cuban
    Binder: Cuban
    Filler: Cuban
    Box Code: RET MAY13

The Serie A is one of three vitolas currently in production for the Saint Luis Rey marca. This size has been in the lineup for over 60 years of the 80 year history of the brand.

The brand was created in 1938 and is said to have taken its name from the San Luis region of Vuelta Abajo. It is said that the San Luis region grows some of the best tobacco of Vuelta Abajo, making it the best, or the “king of San Luis.”

For being the “king,” the brand has a fairly small market share and is considered by Habanos SA as a “local brand.”

This particular example is fairly young, with a box code from may of 2013, only six months before the review. It has a very slight box press to it, like many Cuban cigars. This type of box pressing is a “true” box press” that is created by the cigar box itself and the pressure of packing the cigars into it, not by an actual press at the cigar factory. The band is a very classic looking gold red and white that sits on top of a medium tan wrapper. There are almost no veins to speak of and the wrapper has an impression of being frail and thin.

The cigar feels like it has consistent bunching from head to foot though there is a small crack in the wrapper that shows some promise of trouble. The cigar smells young, meaning that there are still strong aromas of earth or barnyard. The cap looks flat on the top and when moistened before the cut it has a bit of a spice and a touch of a sour note. After a clip with a double guillotine there is a draw that is a bit firm but sassafras notes come through with some spice to back it up.

Light with the standard soft flame.
    The first few puffs are stronger than expected. The initial puffs have a soft sweetness that is earthy and has a hint at licorice. There is a spice that many Cuban cigars do not have. This spice comes through in the retro-hale as a gentle version of “the burn.” There is the Cuban sharp earth note that defines the country of origin. The first impression is still that of a young cigar. The finish early still has the fermentation feel to it. And the burn through the nose is out of balance with the rest of the cigar. With time this will probably age out.

As the cigar settles in the flavors calm some. There is a velvet texture to the smoke that hangs on until the finish where it turns first to a soft spice then a touch of harsh youth on the back of the palate for a split second. Through the nose there is a wood note and the sharp earth again and “the burn” has settled down quite a bit.

The beginning of the middle third the flavors begin to develop more. The sharp earth flavors move more the initial flavors with a licorice picking up. Cedar forms a base for all the flavors and the soft spice still comes on in the finish with that hint at youthful harsh. But by the mid point there also seems to be a honey like sweetness to it all. There are a series of minor burn issues through this middle third. The draw also becomes more difficult, not impossible to smoke, but distracting. The end of the middle third is where the previously mentioned crack in the wrapper is located. Surprisingly, it causes no problems.

The final third brings on more soft spice. It turns to a an almost sweet cinnamon. The earth ans cedar work quite nicely with the spice. The depth of flavor is quite nice. The body of the cigar is on the fuller end of the Cuban standards of strength. The draw still detracts from everything.

The cigar ends much like this. No more changes in flavor.

Two things will help this cigar:
    1) the draw issues. It was very distracting. Abetter draw would make it better overall
    2) The note of harsh needs to improve.

Both of these things will probably be fixed with a few years of age.

Burn to the nub
    Time: 2 hours 5minutes.

draw: 7
    aftertaste: 10
    construction: 8
    balance: 8

Overall: 8.4

• Options
    11-20-2013 been in humi since 11-28-2011
    La Cuna Bin no.85
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
    Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran
    Blender: AJ Fernandez

this cigart was given to me by Ken Light, about two years ago.

AJ Fernandez has, and does, make a lot of cigars for a lot of companies. Some of these companies include Padilla, Greycliff, Rocky Patel, Gurkha, 5 Vegas, and Sol Cubano. Of course this does not even include his own brands like San Lotano, Pinolero, or Man 'O War. Needless to say, he sees a lot of tobacco, and some of this tobacco is a very high quality but there are only a few bales or a limited quantity.

A bale of tobacco can make almost 15,000 cigars if processed correctly. This is hardly enough for a full run, even if it is only a limited edition. The soulution for some of this tobacco is to make “overruns” or to make house blends for small shops. But for some truly quality tobacco, AJ Fernandez came up with La Cuna. This brand showcases tobacco that may notherwise never be enjoied by the general public. But when the tobacco is gone, so is that blend. It is AJ's short run brand, and its afordable.

This cigar is a reddish brown in a very large solomon vitola. The band is gold and blue and very unassuming. There are some very heavy veins in the wrapper of this cigar but otherwise it looks seamless. The only time the seams are noticeable is around the cap on the foot and the head.

the feel of the wrapper is fairly dry to the touch and the smell is light. This seems very different than most Fernandez blends. The lack of unlit aroma is understandable given that the cigar is two years in the humidor and 3 years since its one off releases. The lick on the is spicy ans sour with a bit of grit on the texture. Once clipped wsith a double guillotine a firm draw (probably due to the shape) is light in flavor. What does come out to play is leather and a light beat sugar type sweet.

light with a soft flame
    The initial hot draws leathery and musky and very smooth. Through the nose it is all musk. The finish is almost like hops with a floral bitter. This is all in the little point that the solomon comes to on the foot. This quickly changes with the fast expansion of the ring gauge. Some nuttiness enters the mix on the initial part of the draw. The leather is definitively in the middle flavors and the hops not is more defined on the finish. Through the nose it is musky and nutty.

The middle third has not really developed much. The flavors are very much the same but there is now a spice that is coming through in the retrohale. At the mid point there is a crack developing in the wrapper but it does not seem to be affecting the burn in any way.

The final third only develops a black pepper note, both in flavor and in spice. Its nice and it works. The spice slowly increases till the end. The hops pick up in a similar fashion until the point where it is too much to continue. Fortunately it is at the nub.

not a very complex blend. This may be better in a smaller size and a shorter smoke.

Burn time 2 hours 35 minutes

construction: 9

Overall: 8.5

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Wow, you smoked one of your SLRs already. That's awesome, thanks for the review! I love this stick. I haven't had one since late summer, though. I'm smoking from a MAR 11 box and they are beautiful. Posting a review of a young cigar could really get interesting if we get another review a year or two from now to see the changes? (hint, hint)
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Wow, you smoked one of your SLRs already. That's awesome, thanks for the review! I love this stick. I haven't had one since late summer, though. I'm smoking from a MAR 11 box and they are beautiful. Posting a review of a young cigar could really get interesting if we get another review a year or two from now to see the changes? (hint, hint)
    yeah. it was only one, and only because i was reading that they are good young. i never had a young one so i thought id give it a try.

i had the same thought that you did. review now, and then review one every other year or so. ill probably review from that box only once MAYBE twice more.
  • Options
    11-22-2013 been in humi since 7-16-13
    Savinelli Special Selection 2006 robusto (5 x 54)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Filler: 2006 Nicaraguan

Savinelli is not what many people think of when they think cigars. It is usually a name associated with pipes. This is mainly due to the the fact that Savinelli has worked hard to make pipes that could compete on a world market with some of the biggest names out there.

The company started in Italy in 1876 with the opening of Achille Savinelli Sr.s' shop. This shp was a smoke shop and was one of a kind in the area. This was where he eventually started to design his own pipes with an Italian style. Savinelli's son, Achille Savinelli Jr, took the business to a new level by setting up higher quality production at a larger scale. Italy was Already known For its briar, now it was also going to be known for its pipes.

In 1994 broke into the cigar market. The pipe company teamed up Carlos Fuente Sr. And Jr to release its first cigar and has since had other cigars outsourced to other comanies. La Aurora, Placencia, and Oliva have all created cigars for Savinelli over the years and Oliva has produced this cigar, the Savinelli Special Selection 2006.

The Savinelli Special Selection 2006 has a rich brown wrapper that soes not show many large veins. There are no construction issues or flaws that can be seen, but that isnt to say the wrapper looks perfect, it still has some color variation. The wrapper looks thick and the seems stand out. The band is red and gold ans white showcasing a large “S” in the center.

the cigar is fairly firm to the touch in a very consistent manor. It has a bit of a silky quality to it given its rough appearance. The classic barnyard smell is present. A lick on the cap has a sour note and when held there is a light spice. It has a “woodsy” aroma as if standing in the middle of a forest after the leaves have fallen. A clip with the Xi2 is very easy and reveals a nice draw with a light molasses feel to it.

soft flame applied.
    The fist puffs are a bit bitter and a bit sweet. The overall impression is a light nuttiness with a pepper late and pepper/leather through the nose. There is a hint at a wood tone as well but it is very faint. All of the flavor early on is fairly murky. Nothing stands out.
    As the cigar settles in some of the bitter dissipates. There is the light nutty flavors with a light citrus peel note. The retrohale remains the same. The flavors are still not very defined and this is packaged in a mild-medium first third.

The middle third is fairly static in flavor. The only change at all is a bit more spice on the initial flavor and through the nose. There is nothing amazing so far. Nothing expressly bad either.

The final third mellows out some in flavor but the cigar overall hits a medium body. The flavors are the same just a bit stronger. This cigar does not have a journey. It is just sort of there. The last third seems to be the best with rounder flavors all in the same profile but still all and all not too interesting of a cigar.

Burn to the nub
    time 2 hours 10 minutes

feel: 7
    Overall: 8.2

• Options

La Barba Corona (5.75 x 46)
    Wrapper: Corojo
    Binder: Criollo
    Filler: Nicaraguan and Honduran
    Blenders: Tony Bellato, Craig Rossi

Tony and Craig both hail from north east Ohio and from that location they have nurtured a passion for cigars and wine that is rivaled by few. This passion for cigars is what brought the two together as friends and eventually businessmen. This is the spirit that La Barba was born; friendship.

These gentlemen had a vision of creating cigars in classic Cuban size formats that will pair well with wines. These cigars are small batch runs using true corojo tobacco grown by the Eiroa family of Camacho fame and rolled in the Wynwood Cigar Factory in Miami Florida. The focus is on quality. The concept is individuality. This is not limited to the blend but to the fact that every person has a palate that is unique. The cigars are designed to be dynamic to appeal to a palate that changes and is different from person to person.

The cigar is a nice dark brown with almost no noticeable veins. It looks near flawless in construction. The band is red and white and features a straight razor in the center. All and all the presentation is simple and elegant and has a very “old school” feel to it.

In the hand La Barba feels smooth and solid. The smell has a bit of a sweetness to it with a bit of a classic barnyard. The lick on the cap has a sour note and an oily feel to it. It is very smooth on the lips as well. The impression of quality is there again. Clipped with a double guillotine. The draw is a bit firm but still very good. There is an herbal quality to the cold draw almost like a jasmine and black tea. Its unique and interesting.

Toast and light with a soft flame.
    the first few puffs have a bit of spice and a touch of sweetness. There is a generic wood quality that reminds me of sitting on the floor in my fathers woodworking shop while he worked on whatever he was working on. The spice defines itself quickly as a black pepper. It is acute but it is not overpowering or out of balance. It is just defined well.

As the cigar settles in the initial flavors become more earthy and woody. The black pepper softly defines the cigar, mostly in the finish and retro-hale. Some of the herbal qualities found in the pre-light ritual start to creep in to the initial part of the puff but slightly more floral making this a unique experience from the get go.

The middle third seems to showcase the woody characteristics of the bend. The spice has eased some and the floral notes have shifted back to the black tea flavors. The finish has a delicate spice with the wood clinging on. It seems to be edging to a nutty flavor. It is a complex flavor in a nice medium-full package.

The final third has remained medium-full like the middle third but the floral has worked its way out. There is a a leather note that creeps in. the wood is more of an undertone at this point and a slight hops bitter is a great transitional flavor from the initial flavor to the finish. The room note throughout seems to be a woody spice and non-oppressive. The cigar ends nicely without warming. A nice gentle spice finishes the smoke.

Burn to the burn
    Time 1 hour 50 minutes

taste: 10

Overall: 9.4

• Options
    12-12-2013 been in humidor since 10-12-13
    Ezera Zion Eminence Exquisito (box pressed 6.25 x 52)
    Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Maduro
    Binder: Cuban Seed Nicaraguan
    Binder: Cuban Seed Nicaraguan
    Filler: 1999 Cuban seed Nicaraguan Viso, 1999 Cuban seed Nicaraguan Viso
    Blender: Arsenio Ramos (Casa Fernandez)

2012 and 2013 have been very kind to Ezera Zion Cigars. In 2012 they were a hit at the the 2012 IPCPR with the Jamais Vu (“Inception” at the time) and soon signed on for distribution with Griffith's House of Emilio cigars. They then released their next line named the “Honor Series” with much acclaim. 2013 saw the release of their first limited edition named “Tantrum.”

Their latest blend is named Eminence. It is their fourth blend released and third core line. There are a few firsts with this cigar. It is the first cigar Ezra Zion has put out that is not a Nicaraguan puro. It sports a Mexican San Andres Maduro wrapper. This makes it the first cigar that Ezra Zion has released with a Maduro wrapper.

But there is really no reason to fear the firsts. Casa Fernandez seems to do well with the wrapper. The people from Ezra Zion also claim to blend the cigar so it is not as “dry” of a smoke as many other cigars with a San Andres Maduro tend to be. The other issue some San Andres Maduro wrappers tend to have is they do not burn very evenly. To address some of the burn issues that can occur with this thick maduro wrapper, a double binder is used.

The band is silver gray and black with an art-deco-coat of arms feel to it. The second band is the same color scheme with the name of the cigar in all capital letters. It is a clean and neat presentation. The box press of the cigar is severe giving the cigar a relatively flat feel to it. The wrapper is a dark chocolate brown and looks rustic and a bit rough. It looks lumpy and forced into position.

The rough wrapper is not of much concern being that there no inconsistent spots as far as firmness goes. The smell is a classic barnyard maduro smell with hints of hey and wood. The oily wrapper is very noticeable on the lips when the cap is moistened. There is a slightly sour note and a spice left on the lips after the cigar is removed from the mouth. A cut on the cap with a double guillotine brings on a fairly easy draw. This cold draw has flavors reminiscent of earth and leather.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are full of dark and roasted tones, but wat is actually noted first is the room note. It is roasted wood and coffee undertones. The puff has a different feeling. There are leather notes and earthy notes. There is a soft pepper that manifests itself mostly as a classic Nicaraguan texture. The soft sweeter undertones actually makes the mouth water and this shortens the length of the pepper note. What is interesting, is that through the nose there is more burn that one would expect given how soft the spice is on the palate.

As the cigar settles in the spice settles down especially through the nose. The mouthwatering quality still remains. The subtle molasses flavors that are claimed on the Ezra Zion website start to appear in subtle ways, mostly in the transition between the initial flavor and the retrohale, and again late on the finish. It is a very short finish. This combination of mouth watering and molasses keep the stereotypical Nicaraguan wood and spice down and almost completely eliminates the dry pulpy texture found in most San Andres Maduro wrapped Nicaraguans. This situation makes this cigar unique in the realm of San Andres Maduro wrapped Nicaraguans.

The middle third has moved to a more leather and earth note that leans to the sweeter side. The spice level remains the same and seems to work well with the change in the flavor profile. The burn is not perfect and a corrective light is needed. The ash seems to fall consistently “early” for how long it is and it appears flaky. This is not a real issue if attention is given to it. The finish has lengthened to a wonderful soft sweet spice with a touch of wood. Most cigars seem to build to a stronger in-your-face version of themselves as they move along. This cigar stays mellow and smooths as it goes along. The flavors are never over done. The balance is wonderful.

The final third is rounder and warmer but still very nice. There is a sharper wood note that creeps in. Its still smooth and wonderful. The retrohale has smoothed out quite a bit. It is a sad moment when the cigar is finally done.

burn to the nub Time 2 hours 30 minutes

Overall: 9.1

• Options
    Another great review or two.

EZ has had a busy couple of years and they are getting consistently good reviews.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    3-28-12 been in humidor since 12-12-11
    La Gloria Cubana Artesanos Retro Especiale Habanero (6
  • Options
    Smoking one of the little Heisenberg cigars with a cup of dark roast something I roasted up the other day...not bad, a bit too acidic...BUT I love these cigars though! https://www.swisscubancigars.com/index.php/cohiba-cuban-cigars.html
  • Options
    Jiagmbah:
    Smoking one of the little Heisenberg cigars with a cup of dark roast something I roasted up the other day...not bad, a bit too acidic...BUT I love these little cigars though!
    ummm

ok
  • Options

1-13-14 been in humi since 12-2-13
    Rosalones by Joya de Nicaragua 650 (6 x 50)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habana Criollo
    Blender: Dr. Alejandro Martinez Cuenca

Though relatively new to the US market, the Rosalones was released to the European market in January of 2011. This is not a new cigar, but many have never heard of it. A few people who have been around the Nicaraguan cigar business probably have heard the name before. This is because saying that the cigar was released in 2011 is not as accurate as saying it was “re-released” in 2011. The Rosalones was one of the original cigars in the line-up when Joya de Nicaragua first opened their doors in 1968. The little brother to the Classico line disappeared in the very early 1990s but it found its way back two years before the brands 45th birthday. Now, with little fanfare, it has come to the US.

The Rosalones was not only released in Europe before being released in the US, but it was blended specifically for the European market. The Europeans tend to enjoy a lighter bodied cigar with more subtle nuances than the US market that tends to enjoy full body and spice. This focus on Europe should yield a softer and “drier” cigar than what a US focused blend would offer.

It falls in the middle of the Joya de Nicaragua line as far as power goes; supposedly stronger than the Cabinetta but not as strong as the Antaño. In the spirit of Joya de Nicaragua, it is still a Nicaraguan puro. This means that there will still be many flavors that will be familiar spice in an easier subtler form.

The Rosalones has two bands. The main band is gold brown and cream featuring the name of the cigar and a rose graphic in the center. Below that it reads “authenicos Nicaragua” in cream. The secondary bans is the same color scheme and the words “JDN Original” grace the face of it. These two bands are over a dark rich red wrapper leaf. This wrapper is almost seamless but still a touch rustic looking.

The cigar has a very firm feel to it with only one spot that has any give to it at all, but even that does not feel like an issue. The bouquet is fairly strong earth and barnyard and seems young. The lick on the cap is leathery and spicy. After a clip with the Xi cutter there is a firm but manageable draw with spicy flavors and leathery undertones.

Light with a soft flame.
    The initial puffs are leathery and dry with the typical Nicaraguan woody-spice. Through the nose there are similar flavors as on the palate but more on the floral side. As the cigar settles in the spice dies down and a very slight sweet quality shows up. This manifests itself as a very subtle touch of coco. The retrohale continues to be the most interesting part of the puff. It has a floral quality and a musky quality but also a leathery quality. There is almost no burn through the nose and that aspect is quite enjoyable. it is reasonably balanced with a long “Nicaraguan” finish.
    After the first ash a few minor burn issues develop. They may stem from a slow smoking style but a corrective light fixes it right up.

The mid point of the cigar is rounder in feel then the first third. The flavor profile is the same overall flavors with the leather being the initial flavor and the Nicaraguan woody-spice on the finish. Through the nose the spice has picked up some with the musk leaving the mix and the floral notes sticking around. It is fairly unique to the brand while still maintaining the classic Joya de Nicaragua blending style.

The final third becomes more of a typical JdN. There is more spice and the advertised medium body is on the higher end. It is still not full in comparison to the Antaño but full bodied fans wont be let down. The minor burn issues continue into the final third.

The cigar ends this way. I had higher hopes for this cigar considering it is a Joya de Nicaragua label, but it is just a middle of the road Nicaraguan cigar, nowhere near the quality of the Antaño, Antaño Dark Corojo, Celebracion, or Cabinetta.

Time 2 hours 15 minutes
    burn to the nub

overall: 8.4

• Options
    I'm a little disappointed that these didn't live up to expectations. I want to try them as I really like the Celebracion. I suspect the Antano lines might be stronger than I typically enjoy, so I've steered away, but this one sounded right up my alley.

• Options
    from what i can gather via rumor, they were supposed to be a "discount" cigar from JdN. this could explain why they are "Rosalones by Joya de Nicaragua" and not the "Joya de Nicaragua Rosalones"

the Celebracion is probably my favorite blend from JdN. it is balanced and never overwhelming. its the real younger brother to the Antano not the tacked on step child in its teens that the Rosalones seems to be.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    from what i can gather via rumor, they were supposed to be a "discount" cigar from JdN. this could explain why they are "Rosalones by Joya de Nicaragua" and not the "Joya de Nicaragua Rosalones"

the Celebracion is probably my favorite blend from JdN. it is balanced and never overwhelming. its the real younger brother to the Antano not the tacked on step child in its teens that the Rosalones seems to be.
    Well said. That's what I wondered about these when I first read about them...were they JdN quality or a JdN value line capitalizing on the name.

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    How do these compare to the JDN Series B Fuerte?
  • Options
    not really sure. i have not had one in years. i dont remember being impressed by it. i wasnt impressed by the Rosalones either. i guess that may mean they compare as comparable to each other.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    Wonderful review.