Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    I appreciate the information. Is there any way to get some more originals? Thanks!
    SleevePlz:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:
    Hi Glen, I don't know if it was original or re-released because Tony(SleevePlz) sent me the cigar.

Tony could you please chime in and answer the question?

Glen, apparently you have a huge collection of this great cigars. Lucky you.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Rip, was that the original salomon or the re-released? I picked up one of the re-released a couple of weekends ago at a local shop. I've been waiting for a nice bit of weather to smoke it. I have a couple boxes of the 1st release along with the maduro, I love these cigars. I am hoping the re-release is as good. Well actually I don't as I don't need another box to get.
    Ah, okay. Well they don't make it easy to tell without the box. One would have thought they would have put something on the band. IMO the maduro is the best but either way one cannot go wrong with either. Hopefully you'll put up your maduro review soon. I did some reviews on both a while back in my review thread. Nice to see some more on these great smokes. (BTW my pictures are crap compared to yours :::bows in honor::::)
    Sorry I didn't see this exchange sooner. This one was from the original release. I picked up a box of them last year on the secondary market for a great price.
    Ah okay, cool. They are damn good cigars.

Rip, I can call around if you like and see maybe pick a couple up and send it to ya or if I can't I could let one or so go ... Maybe we could work out a trade. lmk ... oh also on the Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial Limited Edition 2011 review, I agree 100 percent. My feelings exactly on the cigar. I remember being on the fence about it when I bought it, but the dude at the cigar shop talked me into it. Funny thing is he said it was better than the padron 80th. I was shocked, but I bet him if I didn't like it I would get a free 80th. However he didn't take it and I lowered my head ... but I bought it anyway so I guess I'm a sucker. I usually feel that a smoke over 12 dollars better be well made. I mean sure if I don't like it fine but if it's harsh, badly put together, plugged, and the list can go on .. I get really mad.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Montecristo is the most famous and probably the most popular Habanos brand worldwide. It sets the standard that many Habanos smokers assess other brands by. The name is derived from Alexandre Dumas' famous novel. This novel used to be a favorite among the Torcedores (cigar rollers) of the H. Upmann factory where the cigars were manufactured in 1935. At the beginning, the selection was limited to 5 different formats named no. 1 through 5; today, the selection includes everything a cigar smoker could ever desire, from the majestic Montecristo A down to the little Joyita. In 2009, for the first time, born in Montecristo a new line: Montecristo Open, which incorporates 4 new vitolas on the brand: Eagle, Regata , Master and Junior designed to satisfy all Montecristo lovers as well as to welcome the new generations who enjoy the pleasures of living “alfresco”. The perfectly balanced Montecristo blend consists exclusively of select leafs from the Vuelta Abajo region, home of the best tobacco of the world. All Montecristo formats today - as always - are 'totalmente a mano, tripa larga' - totally handmade long fillers.
    photo IMG_3629_zps62588a4e.jpg
    EDICION LIMITADA 2010:

Habanos, S.A. presents the Edicion Limitada 2010. Montecristo, Trinidad and Partagas are the brands selected on this occasion. The arrival to all markets around the world will progressively start in May. Since the year 2000, Habanos, S.A. has been releasing the Edicion Limitada within the most prestigious brands such as Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Partagas, Hoyo de Monterrey and H. Upmann. The Edicion Limitada is made with the best Cuban two-year aged tobacco leaves from the Vuelta Abajo Region (D.O.P). In 2010 the selected brands and sizes are: Montecristo Grand Edmundo. It is the first time that Habanos produces the Canonazo size outside the Cohiba brand. The Grand Edmundo Edición Limitada 2010 provides all Montecristo’s characteristic flavour in one of the most emblematic vitolas of Habanos. The Edicion Limitada is made with the best Cuban two-year aged tobacco leaves from the Vuelta Abajo Region (D.O.P).[Source: Casa del Habano]
    photo IMG_3656_zpsa3ecbd32.jpg
    It is a very good looking cigar with perfect construction, another example of the continuous improvement of quality Cuban cigars. The cigar size is same as Cohiba Siglo VI size. The wrapper is dark chocolaty brown, even darker than regular Montecristo Edmundo cigar. The wrapper is oily and silky smooth with few visible veins. It has hay, dry woody scents and cocoa powder and sweet earthy aroma at the foot. There are no soft spot on the surface. This is almost flawless in appearance and construction. The cold draw has wood and mild spiciness. The draw, burn is excellent and smoke volume is consistent throughout. It is a smooth, rich and creamy smoke. The flavor and aroma profile is the combination of hay, mild leather, wood (sweet cedar), sweet earth, rich cocoa powder, creamy milk chocolate, roasted coffee later cappuccino, delicate black pepper flavors with aromatic cinnamon, signature Cuban fruity-floral aroma at the back. It also has nutty (peanut), honey, clean and refined white sugary finish. It is straight medium bodied with excellent complexity, balanced flavors and aroma with long finish.
    photo IMG_3657_zps7f940911.jpg
    Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Fillers: Two years aged Cuban
    photo IMG_3663_zps02c7550d.jpg
    1/3: It starts deep rich, medium in strength with an initial shot of black pepper corn spice that develops into a smooth, rich creaminess. It has hay, mild leather, wood (cedar), sweet-rich earth, rich sweet cocoa powder flavors with aromatic medium fruity-floral aroma at the back. There is also a mild creamy chocolaty richness at the back. The rich flavors and aroma strike from the first puff. The smoke is smooth, lush, thick, creamy, round and mouthful from the start. The rich smooth and creaminess immediately invited me to retrohale. It has a delicate black peppery spiciness with a layer of sweet earthy note through the nose from the start. There is also a white sugary clean sweet aftertaste at the finish - wow! This a great start. I smoked this cigar almost a year ago and I am so surprised to see how much it mellow out and smoother with a year age. The top of my tongue has super mild black pepper corn spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of zesty, creamy, buttery, round and mouthful smoke with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue is clean. I remember a year ago there was mild tobacco harshness. Now it’s gone. This cigar is straight medium in strength with rich smooth and creamy texture. Practically I can feel the meaty and mouthful smoke. The cigar is perfectly balanced with complex flavors and aroma with long finish. I am retrohaling every single puff. Overall, a perfect start!
    photo IMG_3664_zpsb7112fd6.jpg
    2/3: At the beginning of the second third, it is still deeply rich and medium in strength with 1/3’s initial shot of spice that continue developing into a smoother, richer creaminess with accents of roasted coffee and creamy milk chocolate flavors. The 1/3’s hay, mild leather, sweet cedar flavors are gone but the sweet-rich earthiness and cocoa powder sweetness is still there at the back. I am also detecting a upfront aromatic cinnamon aroma with creamy honey like sweetness and nutty (peanut) finish. The cigar deserves two points in complexity here. The interesting part of this cigar is, the signature Cuban aromatic fruity-floral aroma is little weak. The top of my tongue still has the same level of mild black pepper corn spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of lush, creamy, round and mouthful smoke with above flavors and aroma. The retrohale is also another enjoyable element of this smoke. Usually, I do not detect this kind of delicate black peppery spiciness with a rich layer of sweet earthy note through the nose in a Cuban or non-Cuban cigars. This is very unique and enjoyable. The back of my tongue is still completely clean. If one year can develop this cigar so much now I am wondering what will happen after another year of age. I am in love with this Montecristo Edmundo Limited Edition 2010 cigar. I am not a big fan of 50+ ring gauge cigar but I am fine with it. At the end of second third, I am feeling the smoke is like creamy-zesty chocolate mousse. I can feel the sweet, creamy, chocolaty richness in my mouth. The cigar is still straight medium in strength which is allowing me to enjoy the layers and layers of shifting flavors, aroma, back notes of this cigar. This is why I love medium bodied cigar the most. It allows us to concentrate and enjoy the smoke. The smooth and creaminess of this cigar is unbelievable with perfectly balanced, complex flavors and aroma with super long finish. Overall the cigar is performing in its almost optimum level. I do not see any reason why I need to age it longer.
    photo IMG_3665_zpsbf9a3c05.jpg
    Final/3: The cigar simply become more intense with rich and creamier roundness at this stage. The dominating flavor is straight cappuccino coffee. Cappuccino coffee is made of espresso, hot milk and creamy steamed milk foam. The first sip of cappuccino always leaves the creamy mustache which is fun to lick. This cigar's creaminess is like that. The creamy chocolaty mousse kind of thickness is still there. The delicate black peppery spiciness combined with rich sweet earthiness through the nose is still there but more intense and heavy which is even more enjoyable because there is no harshness. The aromatic fruity-floral combined with cinnamon aroma is stronger at the back. The rich and sweet cocoa powder flavor is also back- wow! There is also a refined and clean creamy honey-white sugary sweetness at the finish of each puff. At this stage all the wonderful flavor and aroma of 1/3 and 2/3 are concentrating at this stage. The cigar is extremely complex at this moment. The top of my tongue has the same level of black pepper corn spice, the middle of my tongue is locked with zesty, creamy, buttery, meaty, round and mouthful smoke with above flavors and aroma and still there is no aftertaste at the back of my tongue. The cigar is still medium in body but once in a while go to full body but again come back to medium. I love this kind of movement of strength in a cigar. The intensity of rich and creaminess of this cigar is unique. This is simply awesome! I cannot ask for more. I am sad because I am almost at the end of the smoke. I wish this cigar lasted little longer.

Final thoughts: I bought one box of this cigar from my friend "He-Man: The Master of the Cuban cigar". Now I remember that he asked me to get couple boxes but I refused to take more than one box. I utterly made a huge mistake. This is one of the top Limited Edition release from the Casa del Habano. This is cigar reminds me little bit of Montecrsito Edmundo Dantes El Conde 109 Mexican release but this is even better. This cigar is even as close as Montecristo Gran Reserva Consecha 2002 but offers better value compares to the price. I don't know what to say after this. I am definitely going to hunt for more of this cigar.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another outstanding review Rip and you really do a superb job at putting your thoughts to paper and pulling your readers into the experience with you! Keep up the great work and thank you once again for sharing this experience with us, I doubt I will ever have the chance to smoke one so this was extremely enjoyable to read ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words Brett. Are you talking about Jamie Garcia LE 2011 or Montecristo Edmundo LE 2010?
    90+ Irishman:
    Another outstanding review Rip and you really do a superb job at putting your thoughts to paper and pulling your readers into the experience with you! Keep up the great work and thank you once again for sharing this experience with us, I doubt I will ever have the chance to smoke one so this was extremely enjoyable to read ;)
  • Options
    Though I smoked the cigar last night but I can still remeber the taste. Without any hesitation I highly recommend this cigar. If any of you see this please let me know. I have to get couple more boxes. Dustin? LOL
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Though I smoked the cigar last night but I can still remeber the taste. Without any hesitation I highly recommend this cigar. If any of you see this please let me know. I have to get couple more boxes. Dustin? LOL
    Well...your review just solidified me buying a box. I just spent WAY too much money on habanos... For now my priority is stocking Diplo before they disappear, then maybe the Monte. I splurged on some Behike 56's recently as well. These are still around on the market though dude.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Ahhh the Monte LE's....great choice of cigar! I have 5 left and I'm not going to smoke them till next year at the earliest.

Just picked up a box of the Monte 520s and from what I'm reading, these are even better!!

As always, great review!!!
  • Options
    rzaman:
    I appreciate your kind words Brett. Are you talking about Jamie Garcia LE 2011 or Montecristo Edmundo LE 2010?
    90+ Irishman:
    Sorry for the confusion, I was speaking towards the Monte but I deeply enjoy reading each review you put out. Terrific job Rip and thanks brother ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Dustin, if you really enjoy Diplomatico so much then you should try the new Edicion Regional Espana. I smoked two and enjoyed it. It has more intense and complexity than regular Diplomaticos. As I mentioned to you before that I am not a huge fan but I enjoyed this 2012 release. I was gifted by a friend otherwise I would have never known.
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    Well...your review just solidified me buying a box. I just spent WAY too much money on habanos... For now my priority is stocking Diplo before they disappear, then maybe the Monte. I splurged on some Behike 56's recently as well. These are still around on the market though dude.
  • Options
    Thanks Shawn. Montecristo 520 LE 2012 is very good cigar. I smoked them when they just came out so it was little harsh. However, i still like 2010 over 2012. To be honest, I enjoy Partagas series E no. 2 more than Monti 520. This is very different than other Partagas and even better than D series.
    zeebra:
    Ahhh the Monte LE's....great choice of cigar! I have 5 left and I'm not going to smoke them till next year at the earliest.

Just picked up a box of the Monte 520s and from what I'm reading, these are even better!!

• Options
    Thanks Shawn. Montecristo 520 LE 2012 is very good cigar. I smoked them when they just came out so it was little harsh. However, i still like 2010 over 2012. To be honest, I enjoy Partagas series E no. 2 more than Monti 520. This is very different than other Partagas and even better than D series.
    zeebra:

• Options

Willy Herrera has been working with Drew Estate for a year and a half since leaving his family's El Titan de Bronze rolling gallery in Miami, and now his personal brand is about to ship to cigar shops across the United States. Nearly a year in the making, Herrera Esteli cigars should reach shelves by the first week of February. The line is made in Nicaragua at the Gran Fabrica Drew Estate factory and features a blend of Ecuadoran, Honduran and Nicaraguan tobaccos. "It's different than anything Drew Estate already produces," said Herrera, who added that he intended the cigar to be "Cubanesque" in flavor. "I wanted it well rounded and flavorful, but not too powerful. This is difficult to do when you're using Nicaraguan tobacco. It's very strong, and a lot of the prototypes would be too spicy or too peppery." Herrera Esteli is not a limited-edition cigar, but it is made in very small quantities and will only be shipping to 50 accounts.[Source: Cigar Aficionado]
    photo Gigante13297_zpsc0bfb272.jpg
    This is the most recent release from Drew Estate. I got this cigar from Puro Humo Nicaraguan Cigar Festival as part of the gift pack. Every Nicaraguan cigar makers tried to promote their top three best cigars and Drew's package had Liga Privada no.9, Undercrown and Herrera Esteli. The cigar has khaki brown color wrapper with many visible veins, it has slight oily sheen. The band is simple and copycat of an old Cuban Bolivar band. Drew is lucky Casa del Habano has no right to sell cigar in the US market, otherwise they could have been sued. The cigar feels good in hand. It has no soft spot. The wrapper has woody (cedar) scents and sweet earth, aged tobacco aroma at the foot. The cold draw is perfect and releases hay aroma. The draw is perfect with some burn issue at 1/3. The flavor profile is the combination of medium earth, mild leather, sweet oak, mild vanilla, white: black (50:50) pepper, mild black tea flavors and toasted nut (peanut), citrus (lemon peel) aroma at the back. It also has a creamy-honey like sweetness at the finish. The cigar has tobacco harshness from the start. It needs some rest. I do not find any Cuban style rich aromatic fruit-floral aroma at all and don't know what Cubanesque taste they are talking about rather than the old Bolivar style band. The cigar is fairly complex with above flavors and aroma, the finish is medium. Interestingly the cigar has a lot of similar characters of Cuenca y Blanco blend. It is straight a medium bodied cigar.
    photo Gigante13295_zpsc4412ec8.jpg
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano

Binder: Honduran

Filler: Nicaraguan (Jalapa and Esteli)
    photo Gigante13298_zps818b70bc.jpg
    1/3: the cigar starts out with a wonderful subtle black: white(50:50) pepper corn flavor, medium earth, mild leather, sweet oak flavors. There is also a very thin layer of vanilla flavor at the back. I am also detecting a mild toasted peanut and mild lemon peel citrusy aroma at the back. The top of my tongue has a nice spicy feel of white-black pepper, the middle of my tongue is enjoying the above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has tobacco harshness. During retrohale the spiciness is full white peppery through the nose- very nice! Overall this cigar has a good start. A little age will fix the harshness. In one point of 1/3, the cigar became mild bodied though it started at mild-medium bodied. The blender really intended to use Nicaraguan tobacco but with less strength and spice. The cigar is well balanced with medium complexity with above flavors and aroma and medium finish. This is nothing like other Drew Estate cigars. It reminds me more of Cuenca y Blanco cigar.
    photo Gigante13299_zpsa7b24fd5.jpg
    2/3: I have to point out before jump into 2/3, until now the smoke is very relaxing though the blend is Nicaraguan. The overpowering spiciness and strength have been skillfully reduced and makes this smoke very enjoyable. At this stage, the mild leathery flavor is completely gone. The sweet earthiness is more upfront, the oakiness is weaker and the white pepper took over the spiciness. I am also detecting a subtle black tea flavor. The toasted peanut is still at the back but the citrusy lemon peel aroma is gone. There is a mild nutmeg aroma at the back at this stage. It also has a creamy-honey like sweetness at the finish. The cigar deserves a point in complexity at this stage. The top of my tongue has a mild bite of white pepper corn, the middle of my tongue is full of above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue still has the mild tobacco harshness. During retrohale the white peppery powder spiciness is very enjoyable. I wish the cigar could have added few more new flavors at this stage. Interestingly, the strength is mild to medium with fair complex flavor and aroma and medium finish. The best part of this cigar is the retrohale. I have to say again that this is an easy and relaxing smoke.
    photo Gigante13300_zpsb1432509.jpg
    Final/3: The smoke is getting more intense with upfront black tea, white: black(50:50) pepper corn, medium earth, sweet oak flavors and toasted peanut and nutmeg aroma at the back. The strength is fully medium at this stage. The smoke is thicker and creamier. During retrohale the distinctive white peppery powder spiciness is still subtle and enjoyable. I am not detecting any new flavors or aroma. I am feeling little bored for not having any new flavor or aroma at this stage, the top of my tongue has the black: white pepper corn spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel more thick and creamy smoke with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue has still the tobacco harshness. I am drinking iced water more often to clean the harshness at the back of my throat. I was looking for more complexity and long finish. The smoke stays at medium complexity with medium finish. Again, the retrohale is the best part of this smoke. I am almost at the end of the smoke but still couldn't figure out any Cuban like aromatic flavors and aroma. The draw and burn is has been perfect so far except little uneven burn at the 1/3. I wish there was a little more twist in complexity at this stage.

Final thought: The best part of this cigar is the reduced Nicaraguan overpowering spice and strength. It delivers the popular Nicaraguan balanced flavor, aroma and spiciness with wonderful white peppery spiciness during retrohale. IMO, this is by far the best release from Drew Estate as a non-infused cigar. The cigar needs some rest to eliminate the harshness at the back of the tongue. The other way I can describe it as a little brother of Cuenca y Blanco cigar which let me believe there might have one Ometepe tobacco leaf in the blend. I can also detect the Esteli tobacco spiciness with Jalapa tobacco sweetness in the blend. The reduced spiciness and strength is also another wonderful element of the cigar. The entire time, the smoke was very relaxing with creamy-honey like sweetness at the finish. This is a good smoke but there is nothing Cubanesque in it. I don't know why Drew Estate needed to use the unnecessary marketing term. This cigar has its own unique well-balanced flavors and aroma with medium complexity and finish. I wouldn't buy a box rather than a five pack. I will age them at least six more months to smoke it in the future. The harshness bothered me a little. It does deliver close to $10 value without any Cuban style aromatic rich fruity-floral flavors or aroma. The appropriate price would have been $7-8. You will be disappointed if you look for Cuban style taste in it.
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I have some of these Herrera Esteli in stock. Feel free to email me for pricing if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    awesome review...and i want your ashtray!!!
  • Options
    Another terrific review Rip these sound awesome especially with some rest tha Los for the heads up and keep the awesome reviews coming bro!
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Nice review Rip. Bought a box of the lonsdale a couple weeks ago, smoked one and really enjoyed it. I'll have to try the Cuenca y Blanco.
  • Options
    Thanks Shane. I got that ashtray from Room 101 cigar event in DC. If I had two then I would have given you one.
    deejmemixx:
    awesome review...and i want your ashtray!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for your kind words Brett. This is a very good smoke but will perform better with some aging.
    90+ Irishman:
    Another terrific review Rip these sound awesome especially with some rest tha Los for the heads up and keep the awesome reviews coming bro!
  • Options
    Thanks buddy! Smoke one now and age the rest of the cigars. This is better than Cuenca y Blanco but has very similar flavors and aroma profile.
    amz1301:
    Nice review Rip. Bought a box of the lonsdale a couple weeks ago, smoked one and really enjoyed it. I'll have to try the Cuenca y Blanco.
  • Options

"The God of Fire cigars were first introduced in November 2004 in the majestically crafted, limited edition humidors produced by Prometheus. Since then, they have been sold through an exclusive group of authorized God of Fire dealers worldwide, and cigar connoisseurs all over the world have given the God of Fire cigars raving reviews. For the releases in 2004 - 2006, the God of Fire cigars were encased in individual coffin boxes. In May 2007, the packaging boxes were changed and the God of Fire cigars are now released in their signature red box imprinted with Prometheus Bound.

All God of Fire cigars are adorned with two bands. The main band features a dramatic color rendition of Prometheus bound to a huge rock and attacked by an eagle for having stolen fire from Zeus and given it to mankind. The second band signifies who blended the cigar and what year the cigar was made. Carlos Fuente, Sr. and his son, Carlito Fuente, have blended the God of Fire cigars. God of Fire by Don Carlos uses the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper whereas God of Fire by Carlito, Cameroon. We are absolutely honored by the special blends created by the two legendary cigar makers. In November 2011, we added the third line: God of Fire Serie B. God of Fire Serie B comes in two sizes: Robusto Gordo 54 in the Ecuadorian Sun-Grown wrapper and Gran Toro in Connecticut broadleaf maduro. In the second band, we also put the year of production. “After the harvest, the fresh green tobacco is hung in curing barns where their moisture is allowed to evaporate slowly.
    photo Gigante13016_zps961311fd.jpg
    After over 6 weeks in the curing barn, the leaves gradually turn to a beautiful, rich shade of brown. The cured tobacco leaves are then fermented - after which they are aged for years before the Fuentes consider them ready for their finest cigars. Even though the cigars are made with aged tobacco, they have to be aged again after skilled torcedors rolled them.” (Journey to Chateau de la Fuente) When the cigars are first made, they are in the embryonic stage in which their ultimate taste is still being developed. As they are aged, they go through the maturation. During the maturation, the filler, binder and wrapper leaves form a perfect unity and balance, and the taste of the combined tobaccos becomes even more enhanced. The cigars, which are aged for one year in an ideal environment, will taste better than when they were first made. The taste of cigars reaches their pinnacle as they are aged for longer years. When you produce wine, you do not use aged grapes. You harvest grapes for that year’s wine. However, in case of cigar making, you use the tobacco, which has already been aged for many years. The year on the bottle of vintage wine signifies the year of grape harvest. However, it is difficult to put the year of tobacco harvest on the box of cigars. For there is a good chance that the filler, binder and wrapper leaves are all harvested in different years. The year on the second band of the God of Fire cigars signifies when the cigar was produced. You can track how long the God of Fire cigars have been aged since their production from the year on the second band." - Keith Park, CEO/ Prometheus - God of Fire - Angelenos - Sencillo.[Source: Prometheus site]
    photo Gigante13008_zps7f3f2852.jpg
    Sometime I pick up a cigar from my aging vault to check on the improvement of on-going aging. Today I wanted to smoke a Cameroon cigar and picked up GOF double corona for a long, intense and relaxing smoke. This cigar was rolled in 2007 and released in 2010 after almost three years of age. The cigar was rolled in Arturo Fuente's factory in Dominican Republic and blended by Carlito Fuente jr. The cigar feels wonderful in hand with tall and slim shape. The wrapper has a silky feel with few short veins, slightly toothy, some oil sheen with little bump here and there on the surface. There are also few water drop spots. The wrapper has cedar scents and earth and sweet raisin-honey sweetness aroma to the foot. The cigar feels tightly rolled without any soft spot. In fact, aged Cameroon cigar always feels tightly rolled. The cold draw feels little tight with hay and mild cocoa powder aroma. The flavor and aroma profile is the combination of cedar, leather, mild earth, rich cocoa, tea, white pepper, sweet grass, aromatic cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, anise flavors with strong raw sugar grain, slight floral, citrus, nutty and signature Cameroon sweet-spicy aroma at the back. This cigar is extremely complex with ever changing balanced flavors and aroma with long finish. It has impeccable construction, draw and burn. From the start to finish it has a pure, clean and refined smoke without .01% harshness. It releases wonderful balanced sweet-spiciness as a top class Cameroon wrapper. Definitely, few years of aging simply brought this cigar to its perfection. Also the 49 ring gauge boosts the intense smoking experience. It stars mild but overall a medium bodied cigar.
    photo Gigante13010_zpseab4521b.jpg
    Wrapper: Cameroon

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican
    photo Gigante13017_zps75814de8.jpg
    1/3: As I lit the cigar, its immediately releases cedar, mild sweet leather, mild earth and rich cocoa powder upfront flavors. At the same time there is also a distinctive black earthy tea (Chinese Yunnan Gold- Dian Hong), mild cinnamon powder, sweet grass flavors at the back. Apparently, there are two layers of flavors at this cigar which is not very common. There are also rich white sugar grain, signature Cameroon balanced sweet-spicy, mild floral-citrus aroma at the back. The cigar is more than smooth. There is no sign of any tobacco or metallic harshness. The retrohale has a clean subtle white pepper powder spiciness and refined sugarcane sweetness at the finish-wow! The strength is mild with above tantalizing flavors and aroma. The smoke is quiet intense though light in strength. The top of my tongue has a refined and subtle white peppery spice and sugarcane sweet mild zing, the middle of my tongue can feel the light and soft cotton like smoke with above two layers of flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue is completely clean. When the back of the tongue is clean, it is very easy to concentrate and discover the pure flavors and aroma of a smoke. The two layers of flavors coming back and forth with extreme complexity with long finish. I already have a subtle tingly feeling around my mouth. Not to forget about the dance of signature Cameroon sweet-spiciness with a mild citrusy lemony finish at the back. This is the sign of a top quality C'est L'Afrique from Meerapfel tobacco family. The German Origin Meerapfel family produces the best Cameroon wrapper. This is also the most expensive wrapper in the world. Carlito Fuente and Daniel Nunez are the top two buyers who exclusively utilize this extremely rare wrapper. The balanced sweet-spiciness with a twist of lemony finish is superior. I will write a separate thread about Meerapfel in another time. At the end of 1/3 the strength is medium with ever changing above complex flavors and aroma. This cigar performance is unbelievable from the start.
    photo Gigante13018_zpsd0514ff5.jpg
    2/3: While getting halfway into the cigar, the strength reaches to straight medium with strong upfront white pepper, cedar, rich cocoa powder, earth, medium aromatic cinnamon-cardamom flavors. Again, there is a second layer of background flavor profile of mild floral, mild nutmeg and anise. I am also detecting rich nutty, refined white sugar grain, tangy citrus aroma at the back. Wow, what a complexity. The cigar receives two points here. The two layers of flavor profile with distinctive aroma profiles are simply amazing. The magical touch of Carlito Funete deserves extra recognition. The retrohale has a strong white peppery spiciness through the nose with a thin layer of aromatic subtle cardamom spiciness. It is like a dash of white pepper on a grilled Chilean sea bass fish. The spiciness has the quick and strong Japanese Wasabi kind of kick through the nose. The aging simply made this cigar even better than before. Last time, I smoked this at least a year ago but I can't recall these two layers of flavor profile. I also would like to mention that the aroma profile has crispiness with a combination of lingering tingly feeling all over my mouth. The top of my tongue has a clean but concentrated zing of white pepper and cardamom spiciness, the middle of my tongue has a dry and crispy texture with above flavors and aroma. This smoke is not zesty or thick but it has relaxing soft cotton like thickness. If you ever mix white sugar in water and drink it, you will feel a clean sweetness- this is exactly what I am talking about. The rethrohale is amazingly combined with sweet-spicy white pepper-aromatic cardamom spiciness through the nose. Without retrohale a smoker will miss half of its subtle but distinctive complexity. The strength is straight medium bodied with extreme complex flavors and aroma with long finish. My entire mouth can feel it. What a wonderful smoke!
    photo Gigante13019_zps52f90ccc.jpg
    Final third: At the beginning of final/3, the flavors and aroma become richer with slight increases of strength with medium to full but not there yet. I really love this playful strength in a cigar. The flavor and aroma profile has the complete presence of 1/3 and 2/3 stages. However, the earthy black tea, cocoa powder flavors are more upfront with a rich kick of nutmeg, orange peel tangy, aromatic clove aroma at the back. I also detecting a mild eggnog Latte flavor with full medium-full strength. The cigar adds another point in complexity here. The smoke is still dry with cotton like soft thickness. This is a magic of the well-aged Cameroon wrapper. As a Cuban cigar lover, I miss this twist in Habanos. This is also a reason why I will never smoke exclusively Cuban cigars. I have a deep fondness with Cameroon wrappers balanced sweet-spiciness with lemony finish. Few Cameroon wrappers perform at this level in the market because the top quality Meerapfel Cameroon wrappers are very limited. I only trust Arturo Fuente, La Flor Dominicana and Daniel Nunuez's Cameroon cigars because they are the few blenders who collect this rare and limited wrapper. An aged Cameroon wrapper is a gem. I think Dominican tobaccos goes well with it not the over spicy and strong Nicaraguan tobacco. My entire mouth is full of tingly feeling with above 1/3 & 2/3 extreme complex, balanced flavors and aroma with long finish. This is one of best Cameroon cigar in the market. Prometheus has couple brands in the market such as Angelenos, Sensillos(blended by Christian Eiora of Camacho) but none of them come close to Fuente's God of Fire. In fact, this is the best release from Prometheus.

Final thoughts: Dear friends, once in while I really enjoy to be with my cigar and hide from the real world. This is one of those moments. No final thought today. Managua's sky is blue with plenty of tropical breeze- my mind is in peace. This is a moment between me, the cigar and the nature. I am going to hibernate to enjoy the meditative moment, Thank you!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Nicely written. I have yet to smoke any of the '07's but I do have a few. Would you say they changed much from the '06?
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

Final thoughts: Dear friends, once in while I really enjoy to be with my cigar and hide from the real world. This is one of those moments. No final thought today. Managua's sky is blue with plenty of tropical breeze- my mind is in peace. This is a moment between me, the cigar and the nature. I am going to hibernate to enjoy the meditative moment, Thank you!

Excellent reviews, it always feels like I'm smoking the cigar right along with you. Your final thought expresses my afternoon more eloquently than i could.
  • Options
    Thanks Glen...I would say smoke now. It has mellow out a lot by this time. Let us know about your experience when you smoke one.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nicely written. I have yet to smoke any of the '07's but I do have a few. Would you say they changed much from the '06?
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words, thanks Kevin!!!
    perkinke:
    rzaman:

Excellent reviews, it always feels like I'm smoking the cigar right along with you. Your final thought expresses my afternoon more eloquently than i could.
  • Options

Viaje cigar brand is fairly new, first made under contract at the Joya de Nicaragua factory but later moved to Honduras and the Raices Cubanas cigar factory, which is building a reputation as a maker of delicious, well-crafted cigars. Viaje is a Spanish word that means “journey” and Oro means “Gold”. The Viaje Oro Reserva Double Torped0 (VOR DT) was rolled somewhere between 2010 and 2011 and came to the market in June 2011 after Viaje Oro reserve #5 was announced as the number 2 cigar of 2010. Majority of the smokers were not aware of Viaje brand back then until Viaje Oro Reserva No. 5 became famous. When the cigar was announced as #2, most of them were out of the market within days. It was not a widely available cigar because they only released 500 boxes. I was able to manage a box 2010 release from a private collector at the end of 2011 and couldn't manage a box of Viaje Oro Reserva Double Torpedo VOR DT until today. This is an extremely limited production cigar that was sold through just five retailers who each got 25 of the 125 boxes of 25 cigars. However, my friend Jesus aka BigChunks sent me this cigar along with a Viaje Platino Reserva double torpedo. I am not a huge fan of most of Viaje cigars but I love Viaje Oro and Plantino Reserva 2010 releases. They are full bodied and bold at the same time very well balanced with wonderful complexity. Outland cigars in Charlotte, NC started selling this brand before Cigar Aficinados rating. They deserve some credit to put this cigar in the spot light. There are two vitolas of the VOR blend [Source: Cigar Aficionado and other on-line resources]:

VOR No. 5: 5 1/2 x 52
    Photobucket
    VOR DT: 5 3/4 X 52
    photo Gigante13021_zps47b8643f.jpg
    VOR DT is a very handsome looking, perfecto shaped, boxed pressed cigar with solid construction without any soft spot on the surface. It has a classic golden label with additional two bands of "Reserva" & "Edicion Limitada". Apparently, the compnay would have added a fourth band if there were any space left-?. The wrapper is very smooth and silky with few small visible veins. It has dark chocolate color wrapper, in fact it feels like a real chocolate bar in torpedo shape. Overall, it is a very good looking cigar and feels good in hand. During the smoke, I also felt like smoking a chocolate bar. It has the 95% of flavor and aroma profile of Viaje Oro Reserva No. 5 cigar. The complex flavor and aroma moves in-between bitter-sweetness. It reminds me of VOR #5. I cut little bit on the both side to get a feeling of the cold draw which has hay, strong cocoa powder and mild chocolate aroma. The flavor profile is combination of earth, wood, chopped grass, leather, strong cocoa, dark bitter-sweet dark chocolate, bitter-sweet espresso, black pepper, caramel, cinnamon with hint of clove, nuts(chestnut), super mild dried fruity aroma at the back. It has wonderful molasses sweetness at the finish. It is not an extremely complex but complex enough with long finish. It has perfect draw with almost perfect burn. It is a medium to full bodied cigar.
    photo Gigante13022_zpsba9148a5.jpg
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 99

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Nicaragua
    photo Gigante13030_zps4099f92a.jpg
    1/3: It stars with earth, wood, leather, freshly chopped grass, cocoa powder flavors but within few puffs the earth, wood fade away and taken over by a blast of black pepper flavor. The twist is pretty quick and strong but not disturbing at all. There is also a hint of sweet-creamy caramel flavor just next to the black peppery flavor- very nice! The smoke is very smooth, round and lush in texture. Within 8-10 puffs, I am also detecting a distinctive cinnamon flavor with a hint of aromatic clove and mild dried fruity aroma at the back. The entire flavor and aroma profile is locked in a bitter-sweet creamy shield. The top of my tongue has a zing of black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with smooth, round, lush and meaty smoke with above flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has a super mild tobacco bitterness but not harsh or metallic. This is my first VOR DT smoke so I am unable to compare when it was released in June/2011. However, I do know that Nicaraguan tobacco always has the powerful spiciness with some harsh and metallic finish- especially Viaje cigars because they use lots of Esteli Ligeros in the blends. I am almost positive the cigar mellow out a lot by this time. I am retrohaling from the first puff and enjoying the black peppery clean spiciness through the nose. The cigar is fairly complex with well-balanced flavors and aroma and long finish. The strength is straight medium- very similar to VOR #5.
    photo Gigante13036_zps9f46f7fb.jpg
    2/3: In the second third, there is a increase in spice of black pepper but not overpowering or disturbing. The 1/3's earth, wood, freshly chopped grass and cocoa powder flavors are at the back and very weak. The flavor profile has taken over by strong black pepper, bitter-sweet dark chocolate, aromatic cinnamon and clove flavors with a spicy leathery note. There is also super mild dried fruit and nutty (chestnut) aroma at the back. I am also enjoying the rich molasses sweetness at the finish of each puff. This molasses sweetness and bitter-sweet dark chocolate flavors are well balanced and compliment the strong black peppery spiciness with great complexity. This is where the blender deserves additional points in complexity. The finish is very long and releases a nice medium tingly feeling around my mouth-wow! Again, all the flavors and aroma are locked in a bitter-sweet creamy shield. The strength is almost full but well balanced. This is what I always want in a Nicaraguan cigar. Few brands deliver this complex and balanced flavor and aroma with full bodied strength. The top of my tongue has the zing of black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with round, mouthful, meaty, lush and creamy smoke with above complex and well balanced flavors and aroma, the back of my tongue has mild tobacco bitterness. My entire mouth is full of bitter-sweetness, I love it! The retrohale has the subtle black peppery spiciness through the nose which is very pleasant and enjoyable. The strength is almost full bodied.
    photo Gigante13037_zps9a0ddc9c.jpg
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar is robust with 2/3's flavors and aroma but I am also detecting a distinctive and rich bitter-sweet Espresso coffee flavor which woke me up with bold-full bodied strength but not overpowering at all. It is like when we take the rich espresso shot in the morning before run to work. At the end of espresso coffee kicks in finishes with the rich and creamy molasses sweetness. The cigar adds another point in complexity here. This is simply awesome! It is like smoking a bitter-sweet chocolate-espresso bar. During retrohale, the black peppery spiciness through the nose has a silky feel but at the same time spicy. Think about it, it is a full bodied-bold cigar but the complex well balanced flavors and aroma with long finish do not interfere with the enjoyable moment. This is where the blender deserves extra credit. Except the dark bitter-sweet espresso the cigar doesn't have any new twist in complexity at this stage. However, overall I am enjoying the smoke.

Final thoughts: I am positive the aging mellow out the cigar a lot compares to 2011 when it was initially released. I love smoking a cigar with 100% Nicaraguan tobaccos when it is complex and well balanced without any harshness and metallic finish. The key is aging the tobacco longer and avoid unnecessary and excessive ligeros. A cigar can be powerful and bold but still can be enjoyable- the example is Viaje Oro Reserva #5 or this Double Torpedo. I need to mention that the aged filler tobacco is not always the answer. The cigar has to be truly a vintage production. A truly vintage and aged cigar means- the wrapper, binder and fillers all are from the same year and went through the same years of aging when they say Vintage-XXXX. There are very few cigars in the market are truly vintage such as La Aurora Vintage 2003, 2004 or Cuban Cohiba Consecha 2003 and few others. I believe VOR #5 and VOR VT- most probably used the same year production. With MSRP $11, the cigar delivers every single penny. I truly enjoyed the smoke but the only sad part is I have no more in my collection. It is kind of depressing. I have so many cigars but not this one. I just smoked it the first time and most probably will never be able to smoke it again...sign.

Note: I would like to thank my friend BigChunks for sending me this wonderful cigar along with some other premium selection. Thanks Jesus!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    It looks delicious.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I'm really glad you enjoyed it Rip, I only wish I had more to send you, I hope you enjoy the platino DT as well
  • Options
    It looks delicious and also taste delicious LOL
    beatnic:
    It looks delicious.
  • Options
    That's ok Jesus. I still appreciate for sharing. If you ever see them just please grab them for me. Thanks again!
    big chunks:
    I'm really glad you enjoyed it Rip, I only wish I had more to send you, I hope you enjoy the platino DT as well
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    rzaman:
    That's ok Jesus. I still appreciate for sharing. If you ever see them just please grab them for me. Thanks again!
    big chunks:
    Trust me Rip if I ever see any I would grab them and send them to you :), hope everyone has a great Easter weekend