Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Your First Job?

Comments

• Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I trappeped jumbo rats at a warehouse using "victor" neck breakers. I guess I was around 8yrs old when I started. $0.25 a kill. Made a good chunk of change during the summer months.
  • Options
    Left College at 18 to work as a club doorman and barman. The money was great at the time but looking back it was a bad move. Guess we learn as we go.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i mowed lawns for about 6 neighbors every week. could clear about $100- 150 a week. not bat money for a 13 year old.
    I did about the same was killer for 13-15 then went to work for Wendy's and it's been downhill (mostly) since..
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Started working at my family's helicopter repair station when i was 14, sweeping floors, cleaning parts, etc. Went to college, got the education to work on em, and been doin it ever since.
  • Options
    My first job?

Well, her name was Celeste....
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    mrpillow:
    My first job?

Well, her name was Celeste....
    Did Celeste pay well?

Great name too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    When I was about 10, my friend and I would go fish/swim out golfballs from the lake on the golf course and sell them to people tee'ing off. My first official job was at a gas station, doing the pumps and cleaning the garage at night.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    My grandpa and dad owned grocery stores when I was growing up, so I would go to work with them at a young age and get paid in gum and candy bars. Not too bad when I was six. My first real job started four days after I turned 16 and lasted through college. I worked at a golf shop and sold golf equipment. Made great money, making $7 per hour back then plus commission which could be over $1,500 per month. Making over $20k a year as a teenager was awesome. I paid my new car off in less than two year while in college (which I still drive now, turned 8 last month) and it taught me to save.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worked at a big grocery store bagging groceries and pushing carts all for about 5.65 an hour.
  • Options
    RippRipp Posts: 125
    Oh boy... All the Bay Area or "Greater" Bay Area folks will know this place. My first job was Marine World.. Amusement Park. Nowadays they call it Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or something like that.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Ripp:
    Oh boy... All the Bay Area or "Greater" Bay Area folks will know this place. My first job was Marine World.. Amusement Park. Nowadays they call it Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or something like that.
    Ripp...dude, I don't know if I have noticed you before, or I ever mentioned it, but you live in Vallejo dude! Lol not too far from me and several other BORKs... should herf sometime!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    My first job was a book store clerk at Waldenbooks when I was 15. They hired me on for the holiday season, and let me go after the new year. Few months after that a buddy of mine got me a job at a nice french restaurant washing dishes. Moved my way into appetizer prep and stayed there through a few differrent restaurants. Did that until college where I just did summer work on campus for the Aerospace department.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I started working in the oil fields at the age of 15. We removed, rebuilt, and installed oil well pumps. I did that every summer during high school.......made me want to go to college and make something of myself.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Mickey D's!!
  • Options
    RippRipp Posts: 125
    Hays:
    Ripp:
    Ripp...dude, I don't know if I have noticed you before, or I ever mentioned it, but you live in Vallejo dude! Lol not too far from me and several other BORKs... should herf sometime!
    Yeah we need to herf. Robbyras said October would be good with him.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Paperboy, but just after that - hosing down the kill floor at the local meat locker. That's when you find out how dedicated you are to red meat. I'm pretty dedicated BTW!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I helped my uncle paint houses and did some drywall work for a friend's dad here and there when I was 14 or so, but just when they needed some extra help. I didn't really start working until my senior year of high school. I got a job at Sonic Drive-In. Then I didn't do much for a year, for reasons I won't get into. I got a job at Wal-Mart working overnight afterwards, and was making some pretty decent money for a twenty year old. Then when I finally started college, I decided not to work and focus on school. Bad move. I learned really quick that I didn't have that luxury. After some ups and downs, I worked at Super 1 Foods for a bit, then Save-A-Lot which is a grocery store that sells mostly generic brand food. Now I'm at Home Depot and I've been here for two years now.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My father owned a construction company, so when I was ten I would help around the job sites cleaning up and dream about what I would do with my ten dollars a day pay.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    docedwards:
    Krieg:
    Well, I started out at A&P as a bagger/cart dude...then they shut down on me...then I got a job at Circus World Pizza as Lucky the Lion....then they shut down on me.....next...I got a job at Willy Platt's golf range...then he lost it in a card game.....next...I got a job at Boston Market....then they shut down on me....so I went to Chuck E Cheeses...and cooked pizza for a year, then I just decided I had enough pizza and walked....got a job at Target catching shoplifters for the next few years till I went to college....now that was fun job.
    Virtually every place you go to work for goes out of business. I know you have a job now so I assume you don't mention that fact on your resume.
    Lol, my dad always has a great time bring all that up, about all the places I shut down working as a kid...just so you know...it hasn't stopped...I worked for a place called SouthStar Funding till 2007 when they...u guess it...shut down on me (and my wife).

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Pacman84:
    Worked at a big grocery store bagging groceries and pushing carts all for about 5.65 an hour.
    fellow cart dude! lol, A&P had those god awful big ass metal carts, which were heavy as hell......u know when I go to target now and see these kids using one of those push cart rover things and they seem to be "struggling" to get the carts in, it makes me laugh.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    Pacman84:
    fellow cart dude! lol, A&P had those god awful big ass metal carts, which were heavy as hell......u know when I got to target now and see these kids using one of those push cart rover things and they seem to be "struggling" to get the carts in, it makes me laugh.
    I worked for Publix when I was 17 I think... we didn't get any form of cart assistance... though I would get a cart line about the length of the parking lot going and heave hoe it in... also probably lead to my hernia op I had within a year of working there...
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Krieg:
    Pacman84:
    fellow cart dude! lol, A&P had those god awful big ass metal carts, which were heavy as hell......u know when I got to target now and see these kids using one of those push cart rover things and they seem to be "struggling" to get the carts in, it makes me laugh.
    I worked for Publix when I was 17 I think... we didn't get any form of cart assistance... though I would get a cart line about the length of the parking lot going and heave hoe it in... also probably lead to my hernia op I had within a year of working there...
    Yeah, I would probably agree that's probably what led up to your operation, those carts aren't lite either

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I started as an usher at a movie theater when I was 16; and am still there in fact. lol I got promoted to projection, and ast. manager and am currently a supervisor but it was only 5 years ago when I started. Its been a nice job helping me through college but im starting to look for something else at the moment.
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    When I was 5 I had to wash canoes and patch tubes at my grandparents campground in Trego, WI. SUCKED! Think I got like 50 cents an hour
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Bus boy in a British-style pub; cooks were a bunch of Brits, who's favorite name for everyone outside the kitchen (me, the waiters, the waitresses, etc) was "****"
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Bus boy in a British-style pub; cooks were a bunch of Brits, who's favorite name for everyone outside the kitchen (me, the waiters, the waitresses, etc) was "****"
    I haven't used the word **** in awhile!
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    The "What Do You Do For A Living" thread got me to thinking of my first job, was going top start a topic but found this one from before I joined the forum.  In honor of Rains return I'll necro.

Like @jlmarta I delivered milk at 11 years old, not horse drawn wagon though.  Ride my bike to the dairy at 4am, help fill the truck with ice and the orders.  Driver would check it and off we'd go, I was the runner on the right side he did the left.  Plenty of glass quart bottles then though.  

Now this was in 1968 when I lived up north.  Around the late 80's I was at a friends house down here and noticed an old milk can from Grant's Diary, the one I worked for up there.  Didn't even know he had it, said his wife must have gotten it at a yard sale, they were getting divorced, take it.  I use it as a footstool in the garage, ain't life funny sometimes.    

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool thread
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worked at sea world... got fired for not shaving. I was 16... lol
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Lifeguard for Jacksonville, Florida city pools. Best summer gig around! At 15 we were making double minimum wage!
    Post edited by MikeTodd on