Home General Discussion
Options

Mild Med Full

Why do you think there has been such a big shift to Full to Med from Mild to med? What do you prefer

Comments

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    jship079:
    Why do you think there has been such a big shift to Full to Med from Mild to med? What do you prefer

As your pallette expands and your tolerance goes up you may want to go for bigger bolder cigars. Also the edge came out a few years ago billed as a strong cigar and it sold gang busters, so now more folks are trying to put our stronger quality cigars. IMO.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jship079:
    simply put: demand.

people seem to want a fuller body cigar now-a-days.

maybe people think it makes them more of a man.
    maybe people want flavors to knock their socks off
    maybe its that many of the blenders themselves prefer the fuller cigars.

its strange to me because i started off in the medium range then quickly went to full bodied cigars. thats about all i smoked for a few years. now im starting to like the mild-medium more and more. there are two boxes of cigars that im looking to buy in the (semi) near future. both of them are medium. im finding that though i enjoy the fuller cigars still i am starting to really like the subtle things that can go on in a very mild stick. I have a respect for Davidoff products that i never did before. CAO gold has re-entered my rotation. i dont just search cigar brands out that are known for strength anymore.

there is a time and a place for every cigar.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    jship079:

its strange to me because i started off in the medium range then quickly went to full bodied cigars. thats about all i smoked for a few years. now im starting to like the mild-medium more and more. there are two boxes of cigars that im looking to buy in the (semi) near future. both of them are medium. im finding that though i enjoy the fuller cigars still i am starting to really like the subtle things that can go on in a very mild stick. I have a respect for Davidoff products that i never did before. CAO gold has re-entered my rotation. i dont just search cigar brands out that are known for strength anymore.

What are those boxes?

• Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    If I had to pick one for the rest of my life I'd go with medium. I probably have 5% mild, 70% medium, and 25% full.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I'm rockin some Milds right now but good ones! I have a couple Ashton 8-9-8s (amazing milds), Rocky Patel Conneticut, and Dominico by Carlos Torano. They are all decent milds. I just had a Dominico with a Miller Lite it was a very relaxing experience. I'm a big "brown bag special" guy... not very picky yet. I'm still trying alot cigars. I know I don't like ACIDs but I like to try new things. If I do a Full though, I really gotta take it easy and smoke it really slowly and eat a ton before I do. Those still kinda give me the niccotine jitters...
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm kinda sitting around the mild to medium range. I love full bodied cigars when I'm celebrating or just to change things up.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:

What are those boxes?

Avo Domaine (mild-med)
    LFD Air Bender (med-full (but closer to medium))

• Options
    kuzi16:
    Fourtotheflush:

What are those boxes?

Avo Domaine (mild-med)
    LFD Air Bender (med-full (but closer to medium))

Ive got one air bender resting. Want it to have at least another month on it before I burn it.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a variety of sticks in the humis, and i pull out whatever I'm in the mood for. Regardless of price, as long as it's a quality cigar, that's all that really matters
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    I personally like the fuller side of medium to full-full cigars. That said, on the rare occasions that I smoke in the morning I prefer a more flavorfull, milder type cigar. I think it also depends what you drink with them as well. I do agree there is some machismo from some about fuller cigars. Then again if somebody would put someone down for the type of cigars they smoke, I think they are missing the point entirely. You see this sort of thing is all hobbies, cigars, guns, cars, whatever. Some guys like the biggest and baddest, and that is fine. But to put someone else down or belittle their choice says only one thing, that person has certain insecurities.

One thing I do like in milder cigars when I do smoke them is that the better ones can have a lot of complexity that can sometimes be lost is some fuller bodied smokes. It is very entertaining to sit with a good milder cigar and experience how all the flavors intermingle.

End of the day, I guess I am a fan of good flavors. Just suppose the flavors I enjoy most are found more often in the fuller end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    more full for me. not for any other reason than I don't have the palate developed well enough yet. I do enjoy some milds though, I like the RP Signature and the 5 Vegas Gold and I liked the one Virtue I had but for the most part, I'm a medium and full guy. I like a good Habano and you don't find those flavors in a mild.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    jship079:

I find my tastes are going toward mild/medium also. I have been smoking full bodied for awhile and I guess it's just my body wanting something little less powerful. I also believe, you should smoke, you should smoke a mild cigar every now and then to compare it to a full bodied. I find that I enjoy the tastes more on the full bodied stick when I do this.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    more full for me. not for any other reason than I don't have the palate developed well enough yet. I do enjoy some milds though, I like the RP Signature and the 5 Vegas Gold and I liked the one Virtue I had but for the most part, I'm a medium and full guy. I like a good Habano and you don't find those flavors in a mild.
    forgot to mention that I enjoy the Gurkha Park Ave. as well.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I found myself only smoking full bodied cigars for a while, and I was getting too used to them. The flavors started to wash out, the strength didn't impress, and I just wasn't enjoying them. I decided to smoke less in general, and add more variation. Now I'm all over the place as far as strength is concerned. I'm enjoying the smokes more, and picking up on subtleties and flavors I never noticed before.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I do enjoy milds once in a while but I like a cigar with a spicy/sweet flavor profile that I can only find on medium to full-bodied cigars. I'm a sucker for Habano wrappers and you don't see too many mild smokes with a Habano wrapper.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Im not picky on mild-med-full but I do find i like Maduro's more than the rest. Im sure that will change with time.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I could smoke medium all the time but mild always leaves me wanting more kick. Full sticks have their place when I want one.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually smoke medium to full. If I do have a mild with my coffee in the morning, I want something with some flavor, not just smoke.
  • Options
    DHawkDHawk Posts: 45
    I'm still new to cigars and don't have a developed palete yet but I still like a med-full cigar. I nubbed a CCOM Brazillian label a couple months ago, it tasted good to me but about 10-15 after finishing it I got sick! That happened 1 other time after nubbing another stronger cigar so I've been leaning more towards mediums...and trying to stop before getting them too short!...haha
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I mostly stick to the mild-med but enjoy full bodied from time to time. Regardless of what I smoke I have found I enjoy them more when I smoke no more than 2-3 a week. I always make sure I have plenty of time to enjoy it and never go for a quick smoke. It's a relaxing indulgence and enjoyable hobby.