Home Cigar 101

Fresh Rolled cigars

kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
Ocassionally at events and outings, there is a cigar roller who makes fresh rolled cigars. They are usually pretty wet.   What's the rule of thumb for smoking these?  Let them sit a bit before putting into humidor?  Smoke right away?  I usually don't enjoy smoking them ROTT (right off the table).

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke them in a week or smoke them about a year out. there will probably be a "sick" period in the middle.

the water added to apply the wrapper restarts a bit of fermentation and you can gert some off flavors until this is over.
    of course you can buy a box of them and smoke one right away and then smoke one a month for the next two years to really see what im talking about.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Depends on how they taste.If I know a cigar is wet, I'll dry box it for 24 hours.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I love going to events where there is some torcedor rolling 'fresh' cigars and they are meant to smoke right then....they have such a great taste and you will discover a whole new experience with how they smoke and taste. If you buy a lot of them and want to smoke later then you really need to let them rest for at least a month or so because they will enter that "sick" period where ammonia will appear and it's not a pleasant experience to smoke them like that. Cigars will actually go through 2 sick periods...the first within the first month of being rolled and a second time after around 6 months so it's important to note the time/date of purchase as to when you want to enjoy them at their peak.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I love going to events where there is some torcedor rolling 'fresh' cigars and they are meant to smoke right then....they have such a great taste and you will discover a whole new experience with how they smoke and taste. If you buy a lot of them and want to smoke later then you really need to let them rest for at least a month or so because they will enter that "sick" period where ammonia will appear and it's not a pleasant experience to smoke them like that. Cigars will actually go through 2 sick periods...the first within the first month of being rolled and a second time after around 6 months so it's important to note the time/date of purchase as to when you want to enjoy them at their peak.
    Are cigars purchased at B&Ms and ccom expected to experience this ammonia sickness or are they already rested/aged enough to be beyond that sickness before we buy them?
    I know many B&M owners around the country and I asked them all this question about the "sickness period" that cigars go through. Most of the owners are aware of this and put out product that has already gone through the initial period as most NC's have already been rested. Sometimes they will get 'new' product that isn't the usual brand name and they will sit on them for about 3 months at least before putting them on the shelf ( per the advisement of the brand owners ) as they want their cigars to be at their peak. Some cigars will go through a second sick period but usually it's not noticeable enough for the average consumer. I'm sure C.COM is equally responsible for ensuring that the products they sell are not ROTT unless they get a special purchase from the Vendor in which case the consumer should exercise discernment of what ROTT means...it's going to still go through it's first sick period so it's just a wise choice to let them sit in YOUR humidor to transition and adapt to it's new environment for at least a month. I know we all get pretty excited about our cigars and esp. the new ones because we read the reviews on them and want to have the same experience that others did. Wise cigar brothers will exercise patience so they can let the cigar marinate in a humidor that will ultimately give them that great cigar taste.
    So hard to be patient. And sometimes they seem fine when recently aquired and consumed. But some are dissapointing and I must remember that I'm not giving them a chance unless I wait. In my spare time I sometimes make up and apply little date labels according to my invoice dates. Gives me something to do while I'm being patient. LOL Oh yeah, I've got some older stuff I can smoke, but I want the new sticks.
    Almost all non-Cuban manufacturers have aging rooms to get through the sick period. The only one I know for sure does not is padron. They stick to the Cuban tradition of packing and shipping without a rest period. Cigar.com and other retailers do not need to hold on to stock to get past the sick period. Unless otherwise noted, non-cuban cigars are not fresh rolled.
    kuzi16:
    Almost all non-Cuban manufacturers have aging rooms to get through the sick period. The only one I know for sure does not is padron. They stick to the Cuban tradition of packing and shipping without a rest period. Cigar.com and other retailers do not need to hold on to stock to get past the sick period. Unless otherwise noted, non-cuban cigars are not fresh rolled.
    I was hoping this was the case. Good to know. Thanks for the info. Speaking of padrons. Some of them have serial numbers. Can you check somewhere and find out how old the cigar is?
    So hard to be patient is right...which is why I have so many cigars in the first place. I have plenty that I can smoke whatever I want because I started years ago with putting them into the 'resting' phase and I try and give any cigar at least a few months of rest. When I order cigars I put a "date" on it...I write on the end of the cello the date I received them...if they come naked I have my own band that I put on with a date. I do wish that cigars came with a BORN ON DATE but they don't in most cases so I put my received date on there myself. It's the new sticks you talked about...like the El Centurian by My Father...or the Herrera Esteli or the UF 13's and others that I want to smoke right now. (Hint....the El Centurians are in at Tampa Humidor)
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    I was hoping this was the case. Good to know. Thanks for the info. Speaking of padrons. Some of them have serial numbers. Can you check somewhere and find out how old the cigar is?
    Full boxes have date slips inside of Padrons ...haven't bought a full box of the expensive ones in a long time but I do buy the singles.
    Cigary:
    (Hint....the El Centurians are in at Tampa Humidor)
    probably shouldn't direct business away from cigar.com on cigar.com's forum.
    kuzi16:
    Cigary:
    Not directing business away from them as they don't have any in stock...if they did I'd be buying them. If they don't stock them then what's a brother to do...isn't it a positive thing to do to let others know that a "sought after cigar" is available....if you see the tag line under the heading: Cigar.com ---a forum for cigar lovers Doesn't that mean what it says or is it implied that we can only talk about Cigar.com? Most of the questions or comments on this Forum range from "POT" to a host of other things .....so I'm pretty sure that we can talk about good deals out there that aren't offered through Cigar.com...which BTW is a great company.
    Cigary:
    kuzi16:
    Cigary:
    Not directing business away from them as they don't have any in stock...if they did I'd be buying them. If they don't stock them then what's a brother to do...isn't it a positive thing to do to let others know that a "sought after cigar" is available....if you see the tag line under the heading: Cigar.com ---a forum for cigar lovers Doesn't that mean what it says or is it implied that we can only talk about Cigar.com? Most of the questions or comments on this Forum range from "POT" to a host of other things .....so I'm pretty sure that we can talk about good deals out there that aren't offered through Cigar.com...which BTW is a great company.
    the idea is that you are directing them to a competitor's site.
    if you went to McDonalds and starting directing people to taco bell and justified it by saying the McDonalds doesnt sell tacos, youd probably still get kicked out.

you wont get kicked out of here, but it is in poor taste to direct people on the open forum to competitors site. if you need to tell someone where a deal is use the PM function.
    this forum was designed to help cigar.com sell their product, not other peoples products. Cigar.com hosts this forum to build business, not give it away.
    its about respect.
    Hang on a second there...while I don't mind a give and take on any topic you are the only one taking issue with it and if Cigar.com has a problem then they can take that up with me. You said that I was directing business away from Cigar.com.....I wouldn't do that but had you read what I said about Cigar.com not having the product I wouldn't have said anything about the other company. You said what I did was in poor taste...I beg to differ as if somebody had information about a particular cigar ...esp. a new cigar...then what is the harm telling others about it? Am I supposed to never say anything about anything cigar related if I have to say it through a filter? If Cigar.com opened up a forum for cigar enthusiasts to join to talk about "cigars" then I take it that if we do talk about them ....it's your opinion that we can only reference Cigar.com as to what they sell or what they think...that we are here only to facilitate what Cigar.com wants us to talk about....that's ridiculous. Cigar.com is a huge entity and if there endeavor is to kidnap cigar enthusiasts where they can only talk about THEIR product then I take issue with any company that will try to enforce it if it's a free forum. I am not a schil to sing the praises of any company unless they earn my business...if you feel that my opinion doesn't agree with your sensibilities then ignore any of my posts...as I will do yours. You need to understand what FREE SPEECH is and that people are free to give their opinions w/o somebody...like yourself...trying to tell others how to think..feel...speak...etc. If you exercised the same type of diligence in referencing poor taste then you would have PM'd me about my supposed comment...not keeping it in the mainstream thread. Don't be a hypocrite about this...you accuse me of not using PM's to reach every single member on here when you have directed your thought/opinion towards me publicy when you could have taken your own advice and PM'd me...I think they call that..Do as I say...not as I do.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Cigary, PM to you
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Cigary:
    Hang on a second there...while I don't mind a give and take on any topic you are the only one taking issue with it and if Cigar.com has a problem then they can take that up with me. You said that I was directing business away from Cigar.com.....I wouldn't do that but had you read what I said about Cigar.com not having the product I wouldn't have said anything about the other company. You said what I did was in poor taste...I beg to differ as if somebody had information about a particular cigar ...esp. a new cigar...then what is the harm telling others about it? Am I supposed to never say anything about anything cigar related if I have to say it through a filter? If Cigar.com opened up a forum for cigar enthusiasts to join to talk about "cigars" then I take it that if we do talk about them ....it's your opinion that we can only reference Cigar.com as to what they sell or what they think...that we are here only to facilitate what Cigar.com wants us to talk about....that's ridiculous. Cigar.com is a huge entity and if there endeavor is to kidnap cigar enthusiasts where they can only talk about THEIR product then I take issue with any company that will try to enforce it if it's a free forum. I am not a schil to sing the praises of any company unless they earn my business...if you feel that my opinion doesn't agree with your sensibilities then ignore any of my posts...as I will do yours. You need to understand what FREE SPEECH is and that people are free to give their opinions w/o somebody...like yourself...trying to tell others how to think..feel...speak...etc. If you exercised the same type of diligence in referencing poor taste then you would have PM'd me about my supposed comment...not keeping it in the mainstream thread. Don't be a hypocrite about this...you accuse me of not using PM's to reach every single member on here when you have directed your thought/opinion towards me publicy when you could have taken your own advice and PM'd me...I think they call that..Do as I say...not as I do.

I don't quote much but I have to agree with this idea that we have to bow down to only discussing cigars sold by ccom. We're cigar lovers, we talk about cigars we love. Seriously there are so freaking many brands released anymore nobody can keep up. If you like a cigar talk about it. If you have a location yes maybe you should never post ideas about where to acquire it online on this forum. send a pm or simply say "anyone wants these I can help you find them". The attacks on not following OLD forum rules are getting outdated. In five years I've yet to see a ccom member ban someone for posting ideas for stock they don't and will never carry. Ahem look at the what did you get today, so everyone posting pics of smokes not available at ccom is in a sense sending business elsewhere, by this logic. I recall several pics of unavailable at ccom posts by ALL of us. No direct website links, that's what i consider a banable offense our **** move. isn't that enough?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much ado about nothing. We already know who's the best.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

this is Cigar.com's forum.
    it is not Tampa humidor's forum.
    free speech does not apply to a forum owned by cigar.com they make the rules. they own the rights to run it how they see fit.

if you want to know if it is ok to send people to Tampa humidor then PM Alex Svenson and see what he has to say on the matter.
    im sure he wont be happy with it.

i did not PM you initially because this sort of thing has been discussed many times here on Cigar.com's forum. in the past it was explained that you are effectively advertising that another place has a better selection than Cigar.com. most people dont fight it because they quickly understand that you cant Advertise for JC Penny inside a Macy's because Macy's frowns on that course of action. usually no biggie. and it shouldnt have been a "biggie" here either.

this forum was not built so everyone could talk about all cigars everywhere. this forum was set up so cigar.com could build business based off of the forum. it is their business tool.

as far as posting pictures of cigars not available on cigar.com, yes we have all done it. no denying that, but how many of us have posted where we got them and if it was a better price than cigar.com?
    none of us have and its for that reason.

cigar.com set up the forum. they didnt have to do so. they let us pretty much run the show. the least we can do is respect them by not suggesting on their website that their selection is substandard and another place has a better selection.

i am not attacking anyone here. i am simply pointing out that it is the respectful thing to do. most people take this conversation not as an attack but as becoming aware that it is a faux pas. they have the same mentality that both of the above posters do: "free speech" and "open forum" and all that.
    it is not an open forum. it is CIGAR.COM's forum owned by CIGAR.COM, a business that is for profit. this is how they make a living. and though they want us to run the show and have little moderation, there have always been and always will be some unwritten rules. one of them is to respect the ownership of the forum by the business CIGAR.COM by not mentioning other retail cigar websites on the open forum.
    blurr:
    In five years I've yet to see a ccom member ban someone for posting ideas for stock they don't and will never carry.

i have.

most of the members that are around dont post on the open forum where to get cigars that ccom doesnt offer.
    the people that post links to other cigar sites usually have one post and we call them spam. those threads are removed by the mods and we never see them again.
    sounds like they are being banned for posting directions to get to another site to me.
  • thedjfish@comcast.net[email protected] Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    blurr:
    In five years I've yet to see a ccom member ban someone for posting ideas for stock they don't and will never carry.

i have.

most of the members that are around dont post on the open forum where to get cigars that ccom doesnt offer.
    the people that post links to other cigar sites usually have one post and we call them spam. those threads are removed by the mods and we never see them again.
    sounds like they are being banned for posting directions to get to another site to me.
    yeah i heve seen those postings gone also, and usually the member is warned then banned if they persist, but i think most of them just leave on there own, since they most likely felt they didnt do anything wrong,
    the issue with linking is that you redirecting traffic to another site, also keep in mind you may of went to that site for a certain cigar that c.com did not have or carry, but now that your there why not look around a buy something else that c.com carries? i think thats the issue that most people dont see, hence you redirected sales to another site, may not be the intention, but thats what it boils down to.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    The fact is, Cigary didn't have any bad intention. It's no big deal guys. Please move on...
    rzaman:
    The fact is, Cigary didn't have any bad intention. It's no big deal guys. Please move on...
    im not mad. intent is not the question. clearly cigary is not a mean guy and has contributed to this forum in a very positive way. this may have gotten a bit out of control. no ill will by any party involved im assuming.

• kgrandekgrande Posts: 15
    Anyhoo....back to the topic at hand...

From what I have seen, the torcaderos who roll at the functions generally had a pre-made filler and binder, and just roll the wrapper leaf over the binder/filler.  The local cigarmaker in my town in Long Island usually appears at various functions using this process.
    Thank you sir...trust me in that all of my 50 years of smoking cigars I wouldn't do anything that would bring bad feelings or vibes to a hobby I love. If anything, I like to see that everyone is able to get the cigars they like to smoke esp. when they are good and HTF. A Cigar Community thrives when it is transparent and is able to help the membership with good and honest communication. There would never be a reason for me to take business away from one Cigar Company or another as it's cigar enthusiasts who keep these places in business. I have probably given Cigar.com as much business as anybody over the years....my first order was at least 14 years ago if memory serves and I have 14 different Cigar Companies I order from.
    Absolutely no ill will here....if anything I love cigars and like to be able to help those who also enjoy this great hobby. I am noted on other Forums for trying to help others esp. when they are trying to find cigars and don't know where to start. As I said to the other brother I couldn't possibly want to hurt or impair any company that sells or manufacture cigars. Finding certain cigars ( even HTF ) can be frustrating and I've had a lifetime experience of knowing quite a few owners around the country and places online that sell cigars ( a lot of the businesses we already buy from ) and sharing the wealth of info that I get I try to PIF to other members. Sometimes my zeal is confusing to others because in my day when I started there were no sources to draw from and it was word of mouth. Today the Internet is full of choices and when some of us see deals on the Internet it's hard to keep that info secret and not share.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Hi Cigary, I believe you are a great BOTL. Though I don't have your 50 years of cigar experience but I value your cigar knowledge. Thanks for sharing it with us. I don't know about others but I appreciate to have you with us. have a great day!
    Cigary:
    Thank you sir...trust me in that all of my 50 years of smoking cigars I wouldn't do anything that would bring bad feelings or vibes to a hobby I love. If anything, I like to see that everyone is able to get the cigars they like to smoke esp. when they are good and HTF. A Cigar Community thrives when it is transparent and is able to help the membership with good and honest communication. There would never be a reason for me to take business away from one Cigar Company or another as it's cigar enthusiasts who keep these places in business. I have probably given Cigar.com as much business as anybody over the years....my first order was at least 14 years ago if memory serves and I have 14 different Cigar Companies I order from.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    rough crowd
  • StrongStyleStrongStyle Posts: 221
    kuzi16:
    Almost all non-Cuban manufacturers have aging rooms to get through the sick period. The only one I know for sure does not is padron. They stick to the Cuban tradition of packing and shipping without a rest period.
    I didnt know this until now and makes a lot of sense because I have never let a padron rest before smoking it and always thought they didnt seem right. Now to grab some for the humi and see whats really good.
    Padrons are great cigars and even the ones like the 2000's and up are really amazing if you let them rest in their boxes for a year or so...I have these in deep hibernation and when I open them up to smoke a year later it's incredible how they smoke...well worth the effort in storing them that long.