Next time you are in a cigar shop, ask the owner how many barely-smoked cigars he throws out a week. My guess is it will be more than number enjoyed down to the nub. We're all culpable at one point or another of not finishing what we started. It's a guilty feeling to look at product that was crafted by hand, and watch it be thrown into the trash only partially finished. Enter small cigars, the perfect remedy to you cigar appetite when you are short on time. While there are many low quality small cigars on the market giving small cigars a bad name, there are also great ones too. I'm here to cut through the weeds, and let you know which brands are worth your valuable time.
Excalibur Cigarillos (Duration 10-15 minutes) 4.0"x24
In the category of small cigars, they don't get much smaller than this. But don't let the size fool you, Excalibur cigarillos are medium-bodied and rich. Made in Holland with high-quality dry-cured tobaccos, these small treats always have a home in my pocket. When it comes to packing a full cigar experience into a small window of time, and I have yet to find a better alternative.
Cohiba Black Pequenos (Duration 20-30 minutes) 4.1"x36
Mark my words, this is the richest and most complex cigarillo on the market. Draped in a dark, oily Connecticut broadleaf wrapper over a blend of Dominican long fillers, Pequenos may not be large, but they are full-bodied. Expect notes of chocolate, caramel, and black cherry through-out. Even better, you can purchase a tin of six for less than the asking price of one Cohiba Black Robusto.
Davidoff Nicaragua Primeros (Duration 20-30 minutes) 4.0"x34
Attention to detail, and a commitment to quality drives the success of Davidoff. When their 95-rated Nicaragua line was introduced in the Primeros size, I decided to pick up a tin. This creamy medium-bodied blend is well-balanced with notes of earth and cedar. Though small in stature, Nicaragua Primeros still maintains the Davidoff flavor profile from start to finish.
Padron Cortico (Duration 20-30 minutes) 4.2"x35
Made by the industry's most highly-rated factory. Check. 100% Nicaraguan sun-grown tobaccos. Check. Handmade and long-filler. Check and check. The Cortico size by Padron is as well-made as they come. The flavor profile eerily matches the standard Padron line with notes of wood, leather, and toast. Like nearly every Padron line, I tend to opt for the maduro variety for added richness.
Reasons to Try Small Cigars:
- You’ll find more opportunities to take a cigar break.
- They are relatively inexpensive and great for sharing with new cigar enthusiasts.
- Sample some of the best brands in the business at a fraction of the cost of larger sizes.
- They are packaged to take with you.
Tips for Enjoying Small Cigars:
- Take your time. Small cigars can get hot quick leading to a bitter flavor. Enjoy them slowly for the best experience.
- Keep them humidified. Just because they are packaged to take along, doesn’t mean they will taste as good after a month in your glove box.
- Use a guillotine cutter. Small cigars are too small for punch cutters and perform best when properly cut with a guillotine.