Home General Discussion

If you could customize your desktop humi

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you could customize the top of your desktop humi, what would you do?
I've come across a printing process that would allow putting an image on the top of a desktop humidor lid.
I'm in the process of experimenting with it, but need some ideas of what kind of images folks would want on the top of their humidors.
You know, clean minded, something you would want or you think others would want.

Military, first responder images, kids or grandkids, personalized or what?

Any ideas?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    A few that come to minds would be sports teams or bands.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    A few that come to minds would be sports teams or bands.
    Those would be cool. But they'd have to be "one off" customs that a person would have no idea where they came from.
    I guess that would rock a sports team themed man cave. ; )
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    My avatar.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i would say personal pictures of friends/BOTL.

one of my favorite humidors that i have is the small one from my pass that has everyone's signature on it. Personal touches like that really mean soemthing, and if i had a way to put a pick of my 2 lifelong buddies on top of a small deskotp i would love it.
  • The_buffalonianThe_buffalonian Posts: 987 ✭✭✭
    Two of mine are Batman Themed, the others just have cigar bands and stickers.
    brianetz1:

one of my favorite humidors that i have is the small one from my pass that has everyone's signature on it. Personal touches like that really mean soemthing, and if i had a way to put a pick of my 2 lifelong buddies on top of a small deskotp i would love it.
    And you have said picture?
    Like I say, it's in the experimenting phase and needing ideas.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See post 1 in the Bum of the Week thread
    rsherman24:
    ROFL! That could probably be arranged on a coffee mug.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    rsherman24:
    ROFL! That could probably be arranged on a coffee mug.

Would make mornings much easier. Not sure the wife would agree though.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about quotes
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Ms. Clause getting it on with frosty the snowman, and Santa walks in on them. Kind of seasonal, but I've never seen one.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    brianetz1:

yep.....i could submit it in some way shape or form. think of this like putting it on a magnet work something like that. submit it, it gets resized on the humidor and produced.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of having bolts signing one, but I'd also love to put my art on one(look up the Cult humi it's awesome), now that you've got my brain turning I'm gonna have to make it happen, eventually lol
    brianetz1:
    0patience:
    brianetz1:

yep.....i could submit it in some way shape or form. think of this like putting it on a magnet work something like that. submit it, it gets resized on the humidor and produced.
    I'll be able to make coffee mugs with a person's pictures on it by the end of next week. I have to get another piece of equipment to do the humi tops, but I have a guy testing it out for me.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    0patience:
    brianetz1:
    0patience:
    brianetz1:

I'll be able to make coffee mugs with a person's pictures on it by the end of next week. I have to get another piece of equipment to do the humi tops, but I have a guy testing it out for me.
    Got any picts. Cant wait to see them
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    0patience:
    brianetz1:
    0patience:
    brianetz1:

Got any picts. Cant wait to see them
    This is the only one I've done so far.
    It's the logo of my old website.
    I used a friend's equipment to see how it's done and what is needed.
    But then I broke the blasted handle. So now I'll have to make a new one. LOL!
    I have everything ordered to make the mugs and they are supposed to show up next week.
    Waiting sucks. LOL!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Ok, so here is the first test image.
    We went with a black and white image to see how it would come out.
    I think it came out pretty well. A lot of the wood grain of the humidor bled through the image, but that was half expected.
    It kind of gives it that old photo appearance.

So now we are checking with the manufacturer of the coating to see what sealers the coating will be ok with to see if we can seal the wood a little better.

Anyway, here is the top of the humidor.
    There is nothing over the image. A coat of varnish or eurethane would probably give it a good gloss.
    What do you think?

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That came out great, in my opinion a humidor with little grain Will produce a perfect image. That is awesome, you have created a great way to preserve memories.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    The person who did the testing of the image stuff might join the forum.
    He told me tonight that he used to smoke cigars. LOL!
    Still quite a bit of messing around with it to do, but for teh most part, I think it came out well.
    My thought was that for someone who wanted something with their grandfather or dad on it, it might give that "antiquing" to make it look really interesting.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I think it came out pretty well. A lot of the wood grain of the humidor bled through the image, but that was half expected.

So now we are checking with the manufacturer of the coating to see what sealers the coating will be ok with to see if we can seal the wood a little better.

There is nothing over the image. A coat of varnish or eurethane would probably give it a good gloss.
    What do you think?

That is beautiful! How much would you charge to do the top of someones humi?
    0patience:

What do you think?

I really like it. With the image being black and white the wood grain makes it look like it is really old.
    SM0K3Y:
    That is beautiful! How much would you charge to do the top of someones humi?
    Still trying to figure that out.
    The cost of the solution/coating, the transfer paper and all that.
    Plus I'd like to see how it does on a color image and I have to talk to the manufacturer of the coating to see what sealers/paint the coating will be able to go on without problems.
    Let me do some more checking.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I think the problem with a color image would be that the wood grain would still soak it up. With the black and white, it looks pretty clean, but I think in color it would "blur" the image a bit.

I dabble in wood working and painting things from time to time. I really think sticking with black and white would be your best bet with something like that. Color you could probably do a logo, (like my "avatar" image) since the lines would be more definite. But where a lot of color overlaps, I think it would bleed and blur.

Just my 2 cents.
    Crisius:
    I think the problem with a color image would be that the wood grain would still soak it up. With the black and white, it looks pretty clean, but I think in color it would "blur" the image a bit.

I dabble in wood working and painting things from time to time. I really think sticking with black and white would be your best bet with something like that. Color you could probably do a logo, (like my "avatar" image) since the lines would be more definite. But where a lot of color overlaps, I think it would bleed and blur.

Just my 2 cents.
    Actually, it's a coating that is supposed to keep it from bleeding.
    The problem is, that it's relatively new and we don't have it down yet to know for sure what we're doing.
    There are different coatings for different effects.
    Here is someone who is using it and using color without any problems.
    As you can see, they are going full color and pressing their images and no problems at all.

I just have to find the right combination of the coatings for humidors.
    Heat, press time and a lot of other things factor into it too.
    The varnish and stain seem to be giving us fits with the coating, which is why it seems to be showing the grain a lot.
    Once we get the coating figured out, we'll be able to go full color.

Realize that the one I posted is our first attempt and this morning the manufacturer sat on the phone with me for over half an hour going over it with me.
    So now, I have enough information to hurt myself. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Is it the wax paper method?
    It's called sublimation.
    It takes a special ink that embeds itself into the poly coating.
    It takes heat to activate the ink.
    In the case of the cups, 400&deg F.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: