Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Martial arts - self training?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Here is a question... some of you here have got to know something about martial arts... Which ever form it may be. Can you be self taught? Like if you watch youtube videos or read about it in books? Cause... Im still fat and don't like doing physical things in public. lol!
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    The teacher is as a needle, the disciple is as thread. - Miyamoto Musashi

If you're just starting out, I strongly suggest you avoid learning from Sifu Youtube. I've been a practitioner of Kung Fu since 1991 and the key to building a good martial arts foundation is finding a competent teacher that knows how to properly progress his students.

A good teacher will understand how to correct his/her students with the basics (proper hand shapes, striking, body posture, etc.,) and if you're relying on books or a youtube video, there's a high probability that you will develop bad techniques / habits.

As far as your weight, as long as you have the heart, a good school will make you feel as you belong there but will not give you special treatment -- meaning that you will need to pull your own weight.

If you're determined to get into shape and learn martial arts, then you need to stop giving a fuck what others *may* think of you as this world has no shortage of opinionated assholes. Just keep your head up, stay on track and know that you're doing this for yourself.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    variant2:

If you're just starting out, I strongly suggest you avoid learning from Sifu Youtube. I've been a practitioner of Kung Fu since 1991 and the key to building a good martial arts foundation is finding a competent teacher that knows how to properly progress his students.

A good teacher will understand how to correct his/her students with the basics (proper hand shapes, striking, body posture, etc.,) and if you're relying on books or a youtube video, there's a high probability that you will develop bad techniques / habits.

As far as your weight, as long as you have the heart, a good school will make you feel as you belong there but will not give you special treatment -- meaning that you will need to pull your own weight.

If you're determined to get into shape and learn martial arts, then you need to stop giving a fuck what others *may* think of you as this world has no shortage of opinionated assholes. Just keep your head up, stay on track and know that you're doing this for yourself.

Great info and by far the best response I could have received. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    variant2:

When I first read the OP, this is precisely the answer that I would´ve given. I don´t have the pedigree that Variant does, but I´ve been fascinated by martial arts my whole life and formally studied Taekwondo for 6 years. I honestly don´t have anything else to add, only to second the above comments.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hey Nick! I have a great idea!!!! You should move to Oregon and teach me Kung-Fu!!!! ;)
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Hey Nick! I have a great idea!!!! You should move to Oregon and teach me Kung-Fu!!!! ;)
    Good teachers have the ability to take a seemingly complex concept and break it down so that most people can understand it.

I do not fall in that category.
    <br.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    variant2:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Good teachers have the ability to take a seemingly complex concept and break it down so that most people can understand it.

I do not fall in that category.
    Not only that, a good teacher can correct your "bad habits".
    If you learn on your own, if you are doing something wrong, that could possibly cause you injury (pulled muscle and that sort), you will have no idea until you hurt yourself.

Best to get a reputable teacher.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tao style Tia Chi is great for strength, balance, and mind. Tia Chi is moving meditation. Google it up for a class near you. I have been a student for six years now.
  • Options
    CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Lots of good advice here. There is a group of older Chinese ladies who meet outside my coffee shop in the main city square, and they hold a tai chi class. It really is a slowed down form martial arts. When you slow something down you engage more muscles and build better form. That's not to say it isn't a great martial art either. Definitely find a good teacher for anything you do. I picked up a number of bad habit trying to self teach myself through book and YouTube videos. The saying goes it takes minutes to develop a habbit and years to get rid of a bad one. Good luck in your journey my friend!
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As someone who has both trained and taught in Muay Thai, I can stress the importance of a good, reputable instructor and school. Without proper technique, you'll never learn, never progress and never develop power. I've seen too many youtube videos from hacks who have no business even practicing, let alone teaching. Their technique is atrocious and people are actually following them and attempting to learn from them.

If you're going to watch youtube videos, use them as a supplement. Take a class, learn from someone who can teach you but watch other people's technique to try to pick up little visuals on body posture, physics, etc. Once you have the basics down, you'll start to see what others are doing right or wrong. ALWAYS build a solid foundation and never forget it. Some people try to advance too quickly and their basics go to crap.

Show modesty and humility and people will want to help you learn. You'll also learn much more quickly that way. Too many guys walk into the gym thinking they'll be able to muscle their way through things or go 100% right away. They end up looking stupid and will either end up going nowhere, leaving the gym or finally end up being humbled and begin to learn.
  • Options
    As always... Great and very helpful advice! :) I really appreciate all the input from you all! Ill start looking into local trainers and courses in my area. :)