Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Specifically the Xikar x4,.... specifically.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody used one of these? I guess I never noticed them before. x4 has a slightly different design from the xi2 and xi3 models. All of the x4 seem to be branded with company logos (CI, CAO, RP, Oliva) and I've only seen them offered by online retailers. And, they aren't on the Xikar website. I'm looking for x4 user feedback. Also wondering, to myself, if these will ever be offered as freebies instead of the Colibri Grip.

Comments

• Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Bob, the x4 compared to the xi3 is much denser and heavier. I use an xi3 at home, my husband uses the x4, it seems to be a pretty good cutter, he likes it. I use a Colibri Grip when I'm not home, I like them, but I've had one that was causing the wrapper to crack (not sharp enough I guess). But I've used a few different ones and only seemed to have an issue with 1 of about 4. If you're interested in an x4, search ccom for the Sons of Anarchy holiday gift set. You get 5 SoA cigars, the x4 cutter (SoA branded of course), and an SoA torch lighter (not a great lighter, but small and compact) for $39.99. Not sure if the reps could get you a better price or throw in as a freebie.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll look into that.
  • Options
    OK, I used the x4 tonight just to refresh my memory. Compared to the xi3, it seemed to take a lot more work. My xi3 slices right through like butter, the x4 was like when you get just a few too many pages in the hole punch and you gotta put your weight into it :) But 39.99 for 5 cigars that I like, a lighter, and the cutter, probably still a decent deal.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Yes I may take that deal just to try the cigars and to get my hands on a x4 cutter I'm very curious to see for myself how they cut. I already have a theory as to why it may seem like more work. The pivot points for the blades are set cutter out. More of a pinch and Less of a slicing motion than the xi models. Just a thought. Still need to get my hands on one before I commit to that idea. Thanks for pointing out the combo deal.
  • Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I got one of these as a freebie with an order. If you look for sales you can find them a lot less than $39. For one thing, this might be made by Xikar, but I didn't see their name on it anywhere, not even on the blades.
    Nice and heavy. It seemed to cut very well. But the squared edges are kind of sharp on the skin of your hand as you squeeze. Not really a problem unless you have delicate hands like Rain. The new mechanism in the x4 makes both blades close equally at the same time.
    I left my x4 with a BOTL in Oz cause he is just starting with cigars and needed a cutter. I was so impressed with the x4 when I got back I thought I would upgrade and ordered a Xi3. The Xi3 seems a lot lighter and a little smaller. I haven't actually cut a cigar with it yet because I'm not sure I like the feel of it as much and so I am debating returning it. But I just read that Kelly thinks it has a smoother cut so maybe I should give it a go.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    I got one of these as a freebie with an order. If you look for sales you can find them a lot less than $39. For one thing, this might be made by Xikar, but I didn't see their name on it anywhere, not even on the blades.
    Nice and heavy. It seemed to cut very well. But the squared edges are kind of sharp on the skin of your hand as you squeeze. Not really a problem unless you have delicate hands like Rain. The new mechanism in the x4 makes both blades close equally at the same time.
    I left my x4 with a BOTL in Oz cause he is just starting with cigars and needed a cutter. I was so impressed with the x4 when I got back I thought I would upgrade and ordered a Xi3. The Xi3 seems a lot lighter and a little smaller. I haven't actually cut a cigar with it yet because I'm not sure I like the feel of it as much and so I am debating returning it. But I just read that Kelly thinks it has a smoother cut so maybe I should give it a go.
    Hope this helps.
    I have the Xi2 and Xi3 and both are fabulous cutters. I cannot speak to the X4 but may have to look at picking one up.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    avengethis:
    Chemnitz:
    Hope this helps.
    I have the Xi2 and Xi3 and both are fabulous cutters. I cannot speak to the X4 but may have to look at picking one up.
    Update... Decided to go ahead and use the Xi3 and it cuts through the cigar like it's butter! I would say that it is definitely sharper than the X4 that I had. I'm going to go ahead and peel the protective plastic off the metal and keep it!! Sorry I don't have a photo of the X4, but this is the Xi3 Red Wood (obviously from the sticker).
  • Options
    Chemnitz:
    avengethis:
    Chemnitz:
    Hope this helps.
    Update... Decided to go ahead and use the Xi3 and it cuts through the cigar like it's butter! I would say that it is definitely sharper than the X4 that I had. I'm going to go ahead and peel the protective plastic off the metal and keep it!! Sorry I don't have a photo of the X4, but this is the Xi3 Red Wood (obviously from the sticker).

Redwood is a nice choice, it's the same one I have :) It was my anniversary gift (well, one of them) from my husband. Nothing says love like a nice cigar cutter :)- I did ask for it, and picked it out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    I assume from most of the feedback I've previously heard on the forum that the xi2 and the xi3 are basically the same blades and performance. But, some of those xi3s are really easy on the eyes.

I was using cheap cutters when I first got serious about cigars and ended up dreading the cut every time. Most times, I used a punch if I could avoid using a cutter. A local botl let me try his xi2. Right then I learned that a real good cutter makes all the difference. I bought myself an xi2 asap and it still works great. I'm really sold on the Xikar xi teardrop line.

My recent interest in the x4 is basic curiosity. They aren't exactly built like the xi types, they are not listed on the xikar website, and they are all "logo branded". Those three things made me wonder how they perform. I plan to grab one on my next order and try for myself. Thanks for all the replies :)
  • Options
    Edna20:
    Chemnitz:
    avengethis:
    Chemnitz:
    Hope this helps.

Redwood is a nice choice, it's the same one I have :) It was my anniversary gift (well, one of them) from my husband. Nothing says love like a nice cigar cutter :)- I did ask for it, and picked it out.
    This is an obvious case of 'great minds think alike'! :) Oh, and thank you for previously mentioning Xi3's sharpness. I would have returned it otherwise, which would have been a big mistake.