Home Non Cigar Related

Donating Blood

EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone else donate blood? I'm sitting in the post donation area having some cheez-its.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I do as much as I can. I have B-...I always figured that most soldiers should donate.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I do as much as I can. I have B-...I always figured that most soldiers should donate.
    Good for you. I try to donate as much as I can too. My twin brother was in the Marines and he also donates. We're both O+ and I'm CMV-.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wife and I try to donate as regularly as possible One of the things we try to do together. Been pretty nifty lately the local ice cream shoppe has been sponsoring blood drives once a month.They call them pint for pint,As implied donate a pint of blood get a pint of their ice cream,cant beat that with a stick !!
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    The wife and I try to donate as regularly as possible One of the things we try to do together. Been pretty nifty lately the local ice cream shoppe has been sponsoring blood drives once a month.They call them pint for pint,As implied donate a pint of blood get a pint of their ice cream,cant beat that with a stick !!
    Helll, I would make it a Date Night.. See if a local bar could offer the same deal. Donations would double.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Every time I donate, I pass out. I don't do it very often.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    I passed out once. I was hooked up to the double platelet machine and was left alone for 25 minutes. I just kept thinking they were taking too much blood. It sucks that you always pass out,
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheez-itz with a heavy Stout beer is the best.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy:
    Martel:
    I passed out once. I was hooked up to the double platelet machine and was left alone for 25 minutes. I just kept thinking they were taking too much blood. It sucks that you always pass out,
    The first time I donated, I was a scrawny teenager. I think I squeezed too fast, and it just came out fast. And I watched the whole time because I'm curious, but seeing that much of my own blood made me light headed. I stood up and just about dropped, but they caught me.

A couple of years later, I tried again. Only this time, I forced myself to slow down on the pumping, and I didn't watch. I didn't even make it out of the cot and onto my feet that time. I sat up and just laid back down. Well, I guess that's how it happened. Something similar has happened every time since. I guess my body wants to hold onto its B+.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I donate as often as I can. I'm one pint away from my 2 Gallon Pin. My Criminal Justice Club that I advise at our college, sponsors a Red Cross Blood drive every semester. We've done very well meeting our quota each time.

I'm trying to teach the kids about giving back to the community and donating blood is one way to do that. Of course, I only do it for the cookies afterwards!

YankeeMan:
    I donate as often as I can. I'm one pint away from my 2 Gallon Pin. My Criminal Justice Club that I advise at our college, sponsors a Red Cross Blood drive every semester. We've done very well meeting our quota each time.

I'm trying to teach the kids about giving back to the community and donating blood is one way to do that. Of course, I only do it for the cookies afterwards!

Very cool, I helped organize a blood drive in high school. I know I'm over a gallon, but I'm not sure how much I've actually donated.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could donate but between my health issues and the fact that I have blood in my alcohol content they tell me to go away and stop bothering them. Seriously though wish I could but with my genetic issues they don't accept it anymore.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donated blood for years.....can't do it now because of scripts I am taking.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a regular basis for years. Now I'm thinking of getting on the bone marrow donor list. There's a big need in this country. Most marrow comes from Europe. Just not sure if it would work out if I was a match with my job. It's a pretty complicated process. I thought it would be along the lines of giving blood where it's stored till needed. But that's not the case at all. If your a match they contact you then it's a 4-6 week process before you actually go to donate. Next time I take my wife to Columbus im going to get more info on it from the Docs. But for those that have a normal day to day job I hope some will think about getting on the list. Because you may be the cure a person needs.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    The hospital I started working at hosted a drive, so donated again. Just read about a process where they'll only take red blood cells, not platelets or plasma. Wish I'd known about it, then again I told them my blood type and they did the regular draw. Whatever works for them.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like donating blood, I think that everyone who can should.