Home Non Cigar Related

Need some good vibes

pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
I got a call from my mom this morning that my dad had a stroke last night. He had surgery this morning and they were able to remove the clot. Still not out of the woods yet, but he was able to raise his arm coming out of surgery which is promising. The extent of the damage is uncertain as is recovery of motor skills and speech.

If you would please send some good vibes his way. He could surely use anything he can get at this point. Thanks.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Done. Keep us informed bro.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    You got it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Done buddy, thoughts and prayers Gordon.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you got it Gordon...we are here for you brother!
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Man hope everything turns out fine. Plenty of good vibes your way.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sending good vibes your way. I hope your father is ok and recovers quickly.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Sending good vibes and hopes for a speedy recovery yours and his way. That he's able to raise his arm already so soon out of surgery is an encouraging sign that his brain-motor skills connections may be okay.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    you got it brother! Keep us posted!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers and good thoughts headed your way, sir. If I can do anything else, please let me know.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Your family is in my thoughts and prayers...
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping & praying for a full recovery.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best to you and your family Gordon!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just said a prayer for your dad, Gordon. Will keep him on my list, and you as well. Keep us posted.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to you and your Fam BOTL :)
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Praying for you, Pelli. Hope he recovers fully soon.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I'm on the first flight to Arkansas in the morning. It sounds like he's doing ok. He apparently had the stroke sometime around 4:00 am this morning and was in surgery by 7:00 so hopefully his brain didn't lack oxygen for long. The doctors went in through his leg and removed the clot from the bifurcation of the main artery to his brain.

The good news is that he can move all four limbs. He couldn't move his right arm and leg this morning. His leg is able to move and he was able to move his arm some and straighten his fingers upon request from the nurse.

The bad news is that his speech is slurred and mostly mumbling. He also thought his name was William, but it's Bob. We're not sure if the confusion was because of the anesthesia or what. They'll keep him in ICU for the next few days due to the risk of bleeding in his brain. There's only a 10-15% chance of bleeding, but if it happens it could be catastrophic. After the risk subsides he'll move to inpatient physical/speech therapy.

He did however give my mom positive response that he didn't want me to worry or to travel home to be there with him. So at least he is still as stubborn as usual. And in typical fashion I'm going to do the opposite of what he tells me to do, because I inherited his stubborn ways. Hopefully I'll be by his side before lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes gentlemen. It means a lot.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I've been in your position. My mom had her first stroke at age 49 and her second and third at age 52. It's never easy and never predictable. Take it one day at a time. Do your best to love without judgement. Parents are pillars of strength and it's hard to accept anything that might change that. The aphasia (wrong words) should improve over time. PM me if you ever want to talk or use me as a sounding board. I made a lot of mistakes when my mom was going through this and carry quite a few regrets as well, which is ironic considering my questions led to the right diagnosis. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers for your Dad. You will have to be strong for yourself and your Dad.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. Praying for your dad, Gordon.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoping things are going well with your dad. ejgorman said above; never easy and never predictable, and that's exactly right. Mom lost her entire left side, a few months later she's back driving, playing piano etc., every event is different, I think. Help him keep a positive attitude, and you too!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Things are going surprisingly well given the short time since the stroke. The left side of his body is fully mobile while the right side is somewhat diminished. He is able to lift his right arm and leg and squeeze your hand. The doctors think he will be able to regain nearly full use and said that the brain scans look fantastic. The right side of his face is a little droopy but his cheek raises some when he smiles.

His speech is mostly gone for the time being. He is able to do series like counting to ten and the months. Yes or no questions and automatic responses are good. Anything that requires thought or articulation just comes out gibberish though. He's pretty frustrated. The words are there he just can't get them out. This should improve with time and speech therapy. He would struggle to say something, roll his eyes, and then say either never mind, damnit, or just stick his tongue out at us.

He is in good spirits and has a sense of humor about it. He was very happy to see me. I held his hand and told him I loved him, and he said "it's ok." Parents will be parents. Of course we pestered him a little and got him to flip us off so he is still as ornery as ever.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Given the circumstances, that's great news! The important thing is that you know that he's still fully in there, personality and all, and it's just a matter of reestablishing his verbal connections. It sounds like he has a great deal of will to succeed and I'm sure that having family around is the best motivation he can have at this point.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Small steps can be considered major victories. It sounds like he is in good hand with both family and medical staff. Prayers will continue.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry Gordon our family is keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers! Let's know if there is anything I can do to help you my friend!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Just now caught up to this Gordon. Prayers for a quick and complete recovery. If you need anything, please let me know. God bless.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. Hope all goes well for a full recovery!!

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best to you and your family, hope his frustration level is tempered by his advances in regaining his skills.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    I got a call from my mom this morning that my dad had a stroke last night. He had surgery this morning and they were able to remove the clot. Still not out of the woods yet, but he was able to raise his arm coming out of surgery which is promising. The extent of the damage is uncertain as is recovery of motor skills and speech.

If you would please send some good vibes his way. He could surely use anything he can get at this point. Thanks.

I don't know how you'd go about contacting someone regarding the following but the video says they have a way of treating strokes that's non-invasive.

Click Here

More can probably be learned by googling it....

After a rough travel day yesterday, I am back in New Mexico. Things are still going fairly well with my dad's recovery. He's doing a full regimen of PT/OT/Speech therapy in a rehab hospital. He's particularly excited about OT, probably because the therapist is a rather dashing young lady... They say the average stay for a stroke is about two weeks. He is physically recovering quite well, but still struggling with language. He is, however, making pretty good progress in that department as well. I'll be headed back to Arkansas in a few weeks whenever he comes home. Doctors expect him to recover most of his skills/ability in time and he gets better each day, but it will be a long haul. Thanks again for the support and well wishes gents.