Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva Saison Maduro

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
I picked up some of these on the DD a couple weeks back, first impression is kind of a let down. They're new, and I haven't given them time enough in the humidor to consider it a fair shake, but compared to the other Oliva maduros it seem to lack the depth, complexity, and that mellow sweetness that I expected. Maybe a few more weeks will tell another story. Anyone else get in on these? If so, what did you think?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just asking myself what the afternoon smoke should be...  and now I know.  I've had a couple of the Saisons that came with some samplers in my humidor for a few months, and this is as good a time as any to try one out.

Will edit my post in a few hours.  Thanks for putting the idea in my head!

Edit: I found this a good cigar in the Oliva line-up, slotting above the Oliva O in stength and flavor.  It's in the final third as I type... even on an empty stomach, it's not over-powering, but just right.  It started off a bit harsh, but calmed down quickly, to a somewhat one-dimensional nut/herb/slight sweetness that stayed the same throughout the session - no real shifts in flavor or strength.  A bit tight on the draw, with a solid ash and even burn.  I enjoyed it, and look forward to smoking the few I have left, but wouldn't buy a box.  From a new (8-month) smoker, with only 100 cigars under my belt, so take this commentary for what it's worth.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Something about this blend makes me wonder if maduro is not a good idea for it. I haven't tried them, yet and just don't know if I will.

Wait, what am I saying? It's Oliva. Of course I'll try it. I just don't have great expectations.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Saison, so this surprised me. Maybe I expected too much, maybe I just haven't given it sufficient rest time. Time will tell.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    First, Peter, I started reviews with under 100 smoked. It was so I could learn about my own likes better. Good input. So, thank you.

Amos Umwhat:
    I liked the Saison, so this surprised me. Maybe I expected too much, maybe I just haven't given it sufficient rest time. Time will tell.
    To each his own. I thought the Saison was okay but not an Oliva I'd search out again. But I haven't tried it in a maddie, either.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I've liked nearly every Oliva I've smoked, but was so unimpressed with Saison that I probably won't even give the Maduro a try.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejgorman:
    I've liked nearly every Oliva I've smoked, but was so unimpressed with Saison that I probably won't even give the Maduro a try.

+10
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    ejgorman:

+10
    Gotta agree here!
    Hmm...did someone withdraw an opinion? I thought I saw a remark that said something to the effect that "they're OK, peppery if a bit one-dimensional"? At any rate, that's what seems to be developing for me. I don't regret the purchase, something to smoke on the way to work. They're not bad, just not as good as I tend to expect from Oliva. So it goes.

Couple weeks later, improving, I'm starting to believe that they did come from Oliva, the expected maduro sweetness is starting to reveal itself. Maybe I was just too impatient, wouldn't be the first time.

I know, it's not the maduro, but the regular Saison is on the DD today. Then I look over and see the Partagas Cifuentes Deciembre for less, and I'm thinking, WTH are you thinking, Ccom? Well, it's been a while since I had a Partagas, but I remember them being a great value stick and much better than the Saison.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I know, it's not the maduro, but the regular Saison is on the DD today. Then I look over and see the Partagas Cifuentes Deciembre for less, and I'm thinking, WTH are you thinking, Ccom? Well, it's been a while since I had a Partagas, but I remember them being a great value stick and much better than the Saison.
    I thought the cifuentes was very good.