Home Cigar 101
Options

Cuban Cigars - Is It Real or Fake?

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
I looked on here some, but did not find a general discussion for authenticating CC's. I thought I'd post here so maybe anyone with questions in the future can use this thread as a reference.

There are plenty of great sites that may be good resources to use as well: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/default.aspx "Cuban Cigar Website" Great for looking up packaging, production years, and other info.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/counterfeit "Cigar Aficionado's Cuban Counterfeit Gallery" comparing bands of real vs fakes.

I also recommend the "Dr.Joe" cigar show on youtube. He has a great collection of videos on identifying real cuban cigars and how to be safe with online sources. He also does nice reviews.

http://www.habanoscritic.com/ "Habanos Critic" good reviews and also a forum. This is done by the guys who do the "What Embargo" shows and include one of our own members. Check out What Embargo for discussion of all things Habanos.

I will not post an all inclusive guide (I don't think I'm an expert by any means either), but a few things that I look at first:

1. If you receive a single cigar as a gift, it can be very hard to tell what exactly you have. This seems to be most common, and unfortunately, most seem to be fake. If this is the case, try to gauge the size and search for a picture of a the genuine cigar and band.

2. Check the band. It should be placed neatly on the cigar. It should have correct coloring, embossing (raised letters), graphics, gold letters, etc... It should also be consistent with the brand's line. I.E. You don't want a L.E. band on a cigar size that was never released as a limited edition. Some older bands are pretty "ugly" but are genuine. Look for multiple example pictures online.

3. All cubans have a triple cap. Look for the "lines" at the cap. They are usually pretty clean too.

4. If you've had a real Cuban before, check the aroma.

5. If you bought a box, there are tons of features you can check. However, a genuine box and even bands do not necessarily mean genuine cigars. Best advise is to know as best you can where you are buying from.

There may be other features you can check, but I won't go into any more detail.

I received a CC as a gift recently and this prompted my idea of consolidating questions regarding "rel vs. fake" here. I'll post it up soon. I welcome any questions, experiences, pics, or info. Hopefully this can be a help to someone.
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    The cigar in question (3 pics):

image image image The cigar I believe that the cigar in question is supposed to be (A Cohiba Esplendidos 7x47 chuchill style cigar that retails for I believe $30) Pic from cuban cigar web: image

A quick glance, the band on my cigar is a little sloppy. Also, a close look at the top of the band shows that the "white squares" are flush with the end of the band, or appear to be "cut off". The genuine cigar has a black border at the top and the squares are not cut off. Also, the gold lettering of the embossed letters is flaking. Something just seems off. Surprisingly, the cap looks OK.

This cigar was a gift and had "dried out" a little... it came from a friend on vacation. The story sounds sketchy and who lets a $30 cigar dry out, unless of course, they bought a 5-pack for $40...

I say fake. I've never had a Cohiba before, so I could be wrong. I appreciate the gift, and may smoke it one day.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like Cuban wrapper leaf to me.
    ...and you pointed out the band.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd lean towards a high end fake too. Plus it would help if the top pic wasn't taken with Jiunn's potatoe camera :P
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    I'd lean towards a high end fake too. Plus it would help if the top pic wasn't taken with Jiunn's potatoe camera :P
    Yeah, looks pretty good. As kuzi said, wrapper is questionable. Yeah... bad lighting I know! The band is pretty ugly though, and I think that gave it away for me.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    90+ Irishman:
    Yeah, looks pretty good. As kuzi said, wrapper is questionable. Yeah... bad lighting I know! The band is pretty ugly though, and I think that gave it away for me.
    Yeah those are a shame, always seems like it's Cohiba that is faked the most though no surprise there honestly.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are on Instagram, check out the_cigar_enforcer. He's got a lot of good info on there.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Wrapper looks more like Cuban wrapper then non, but it is hard to tell with those pictures. The boxes being cut off like that is normal, happens all the time. You want to look for inconsistencies in the blocks, borders, embossing, etc... Thanks for the mention ;)
  • Options
    Also, wrapper from the El Laguito box codes always look rather different then Cohibas made at other factories.
  • Options
    Typically, they are sorted much differently for cabs/SLB then petaca. The varied bands will come in petacas, where cabs/SLB will have much more consistency. Here are three Siglo VI from one petaca box. You can see the cut off of the row of boxes to the gold outline varies. FYI, helps to take pics against a white piece of paper ;)

photo E5FA5A7D-ED80-4294-A444-B4AB2F307D97_zpsljtrfp25.jpg
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Wrapper looks more like Cuban wrapper then non, but it is hard to tell with those pictures. The boxes being cut off like that is normal, happens all the time. You want to look for inconsistencies in the blocks, borders, embossing, etc... Thanks for the mention ;)
    Thanks for the info, Cat. I've never owned a real Cohiba, so this one wasn't as clear to me. And given the story behind it, I am pretty suspicious. The gold on the emboss and the stripes does seem crappy. It has flaked off or maybe was never printed on well to begin with. Is that a red flag?

and no problem. I learned cc's from you!
  • Options
    To me, the gold on your example is way sharper. Maybe I'll repost a pic or 2 with a better background. Thanks, dude
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    catfishbluezz:
    Thanks for the info, Cat. I've never owned a real Cohiba, so this one wasn't as clear to me. And given the story behind it, I am pretty suspicious. The gold on the emboss and the stripes does seem crappy. It has flaked off or maybe was never printed on well to begin with. Is that a red flag?

and no problem. I learned cc's from you!
    Probably is. I would be more suspect of the top row being cut off, but who knows. I would need more detailed photos of the wrapper, which is what I normally base my opinions off of. That gold flakes on any band, people mistake it for plume, turns green after a few years. Happens to many Habanos I own, so I do not see why it could not happen. If anything, the hue of yellow seems off, but it could be the lighting. Smoke it, you will know pretty quick if it is CC, no mistaking that finish.

What would be most telling, is how pronounced the lettering emboss and border emboss is. Look at the corners on the inside of the border, they curve, and are not precise. Look at the letters COHIBA, and typically on a fake, they will be a tad off in size from letter to letter as well.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    To me, the gold on your example is way sharper. Maybe I'll repost a pic or 2 with a better background. Thanks, dude
    i typically request 360 pics of the cap, although I assume you can tell if it is triple. Pics of the wrapper and foot, 360. 360 of the band, and all against a sheet of white paper in normal room lighting. Cohiba is so sketchy, it really comes down to wrapper and maybe even taste. i only trust stuff from my sources. I just identified fake Monte MGR today, that were Cuban cigars, or at least the wrapper was Cuban or possibly came from El Titan de Bronze.
  • Options
    More pics with a better back ground. 3 of the cap and band. 2 of wrapper and foot. I thought this was an easy call, but now I'm not sure! image image image image image
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I have two "fakies" I got from my sister in law, from what Ive read, mine came a glass top box(Cohiba doesnt do that?) and the box didnt have a manufacture code stamped on the back or anywhere else. I think they may actually be coming back to life, I've had them in the humi since day 1. But I'm 99% sure theyre fakes.
  • Options
    SM0K3Y:
    I have two "fakies" I got from my sister in law, from what Ive read, mine came a glass top box(Cohiba doesnt do that?) and the box didnt have a manufacture code stamped on the back or anywhere else. I think they may actually be coming back to life, I've had them in the humi since day 1. But I'm 99% sure theyre fakes.
    Yeah, no such thing as a Cuban coming in any kind of box with a "window" I don't believe. They do sometimes come in little cardboard sleeves called petaca's. Usually 3 to a pack.
  • Options
    The biggest question is the gold emboss. It is very sloppy, no clear cut corners, lettering, or borders of the emboss. The wrapper isn't that bad really. Normally you see big pressed veins from the DR.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Not to mention the band comes almost all the way around to the front near the C of Cohiba before it ends.

Bands aren't always the best way to tell, some fakes have such good bands it seems maybe the band itself is legitimate and applied to a fake cigar. But when the band is bad there really is no question.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fitty Shades, that cigar is so legit. Can I have it so I can review it?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Fitty Shades, that cigar is so legit. Can I have it so I can review it?
    hahaha :)
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    The biggest question is the gold emboss. It is very sloppy, no clear cut corners, lettering, or borders of the emboss. The wrapper isn't that bad really. Normally you see big pressed veins from the DR.
    This is what I thought too.. it's rough.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I left out cat's link to "What Embargo?" And their article on fakes.

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/782589/how-to-spot-a-fake-cuban

I'll also add a few tags.
    #fake #Cuban #fauxhiba or #fohiba