Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Researching Ancestry

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So as some of you may know... I am thoroughly proud of my Scottish heritage. I have a guest account on Ancestry.com and have hit a roadblock. I have our history all the way back to 1766 to a James Graham who was born in Kentucky. His line starts there. How do I go abouts getting info on his parents? Ive never done something like this. I really want to get my history all the way back as far as possible. To when the Graham line im from hits the US and further. Suggestions?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    Im assuming he was the first Graham of my line born in America... Is there a way to get his birth certificate or docs showing his parents? If so then I will have to start doing work in other countries to get their info on their parents. Cause I would be beyond thrilled if I can trace my line back beyond the wars for Scottish independence...
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Im assuming he was the first Graham of my line born in America... Is there a way to get his birth certificate or docs showing his parents? If so then I will have to start doing work in other countries to get their info on their parents. Cause I would be beyond thrilled if I can trace my line back beyond the wars for Scottish independence...
    if you are not getting any traction on the web (ancestry.com) ... find out what county & state he is from and try calling that local county courthouse you traced the ancestor to. dunno if they'd have records that far back but if so that's probably where they'd be. also try that county (or city's) library or possibly historical society if they have one. church's may also have old records/information if you can figure out which one the ancestor attended

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    So as some of you may know... I am thoroughly proud of my Scottish heritage. I have a guest account on Ancestry.com and have hit a roadblock. I have our history all the way back to 1766 to a James Graham who was born in Kentucky. His line starts there. How do I go abouts getting info on his parents? Ive never done something like this. I really want to get my history all the way back as far as possible. To when the Graham line im from hits the US and further. Suggestions?
    I work for the U.S Department on Ancestry, I little search on you determined that you were adopted.. Sorry.
  • Options
    well crap. ;)
  • Options
    Found a genealogist on a Graham Clan page and am currently in contact with them! I was unable to track down and useful information on the last Graham patriarch on my family tree. Without being in Kentucky to get access to whatever records they might have (online said they didn't have any vital records in prior to like 1910. lol) The local churches there (too many to try to hunt down a birth or marriage record) don't have sites. So we will see what comes of this genealogist. :) Cross your fingers guys!!!!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check online for scottish records. That should lead you to someone in Scotland that might be able to help you track down some info.

But, for records in the United states, check the Census records.
    The census records can actually tell you quite a bit.

When you get to the records prior to 1800, things get a little vague.

I was fortunate, because my ancestors were indian guides for fur trading companies like Hudson Bay, Northwest fur trading company, John Jacob Astor and a bunch of others that kept pretty comprehensive journals.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Once I get info back from this genealogist im gonna go back into the census records and info from Scotland. I would love to be able to put trades and daily living info to the names I get.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a co-worker that got into this and some of the info he came across was fascinating. I googled my grandfathers to see if I could find anything military related and didn't find much. I may get into the genealogy sites sometime in the future when I have more time.
  • Options
    Well.... Got results back. Nothing I didn't really already know. Except it left me with 2 names and possibly an immigration date work with. Sadly Maryland doesn't have that info online that I need.