Home Cigar 101
Options

new upright humidor seasoning

bobdbobd Posts: 71
Hey guys, I have not posted on here in a long time. I recieved a nice upright 7 drawer humi from my wife. About a 150 count. The rest of my humi's are all traditional desktops. How do I go about seasoning an upright with all these drawers? Also any advice on where to place beads once it is seasoned? Thanks, Bob

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as long as it takes to hit and maintain 70- 75 % for 2-3 days.

there are great humidification options that cigar.com sells. there are also beads from heartfelt (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com) and then there is kitty litter. look it up. seriously. may save ya a few bucks.
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    bobd:
    Hey guys, I have not posted on here in a long time. I recieved a nice upright 7 drawer humi from my wife. About a 150 count. The rest of my humi's are all traditional desktops. How do I go about seasoning an upright with all these drawers? Also any advice on where to place beads once it is seasoned? Thanks, Bob
    I have 100 ct three draw up right glass top. Now the way I did it has worked for me but after being school by the BOTL Here I would do it a little differently. I used distilled water and a new sponge and wiped it down each draw after letting it sit for 24 hours empty and calibrating the hydrometer salt test. I wiped it down with very little water. set the sponge inside for another 24 hours took it out and meter was reading 69-70% place my sticks in the draws and used two beads jars from C.COM in two draws and placed styro=foam in the last draw until I could place sticks in it Luke, JD and MVW67 and other helped me with that. through the summer it stayed at a constant 69 - 70% checked it each day no issues. I keep it in my room on the side of my dresser. the top draw I placed one jar of beads fits with no problem, lower ones the top draw has to be taken out before I can place a jar in second draw; that was all I did and know issues until summer was over and fall came. Then my hydrometer went wacky after I place the bovda pack 69% in there no one told me to place the pacs in there just want to ensure the 69% at all times. Luke told me to take everything out beads and all and just leave the boveada packs inside for a while and see what happens. Well the 75% humi went down to 70% and I put the sticks back in with only the boveda packs no more issues my S/S sent me a new digital Hydrometer and I put it inside it and added one bead jar since and constant 68 to 69 % for the past two weeks or more each draw has sticks and have been smoking sticks from each one with know issues
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best way to do the upright would be with a boveda calibration packet (84% humidity) to do the initial seasoning and then run either boveda packets in the drawers or do beads.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    I run my up right at 65 to 69 % and have Boveda packets in each draw but only to bead jars in the top and second draw none in the third one
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep all my humidors on a set of shelves against an inside wall. The hygrometers use to jump around like crazy and I was constantly adjusting the humidifiers. Ended up putting a small space heater near the shelves (not blowing directly on them) and I use only Boveda (thanks guys) and the round gel type (not beads) humidifiers. Still experimenting, but there is already a more consistent humidity reading, and a lot less adjustment. It has been a lot easier to keep the dark ones at around 69 and the lighter ones (Cinco Vegas Gold) at around 72. I still dry box cigars like the Gold Maduro for a couple of days prior to smoking.

And the "Caliber 4R Digital Hygrometer/Thermometer" has proven to be the most dependable and accurate one I have used, and it is easy to read.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    bobd:
    i think i have a similar humidor and i seasoned with boveda 84. i left them in there for around 2 weeks. I use boveda packets exclusively and since humidity falls rather than raises I put all the 70% boveda packets on the top level of the humidor. There is a tiny bit of difference from the bottom to the top but we are talking 1-2% at the top it keeps around 67 and at the bottom around 69. I store my CCs or other cigars that i want at a lower % in a smaller humidor that i control with boveda also.