Home General Discussion

What Booze Did You Get Today?

FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
Don't know if this will stick or not. But my futile attempt to keep the "what did you get today?" thread more cigar related.

Post your beverage acquisitions here in this thread. Go!

Comments

• Had a couple best sellers and a few VOB and cokes.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    Don't know if this will stick or not. But my futile attempt to keep the "what did you get today?" thread more cigar related.

Post your beverage acquisitions here in this thread. Go!
    Heineken. Best beer out there.

side note, this thread has Walt Basil written all over it.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    George Dickel No. 12.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully will try some scotches tomorrow and will show my first bottle of scotch soon!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    I tried Sam Adams Latitude 48 for the first time last night!! not a bad ale!
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Is this get or drink? And if it's drink, is it this morning, this afternoon, or tonight? Wait. We need more threads. MOAR THREADS!!!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brianak:
    Being a hop head that's got my name written all over it, what did you think about it Brian?
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Here are my recent acquisitions to help start off the thread, especially since lately I'm one of the main corrupters of the "What Did You Get Today" thread.

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    And this is what all of that insanity looks like when your wife is awesome enough to give you a cuppord in her kitchen to use as a wet bar.

90+ Irishman:
    And this is what all of that insanity looks like when your wife is awesome enough to give you a cuppord in her kitchen to use as a wet bar.

Brett, have you tried the Widow Jane before? It's one of my current favorites, tried it around this time last year at a local cigar B&M that happened to have a tasting while I was there. Really nice guys doing the tasting, and they grow their own corn in upstate NY and mess with strains of it and stuff in experimental bottlings.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Great selection, Brett!

This was the last bottle I bought, and that was last November. I'm such a pathetic excuse for an alcoholic...
    photo 20141108_122145_zpsktefixwp.jpg
    Met the distiller at a tasting a couple weeks ago and let me try the entire line. Most were very good, but this was the best/most unique of them. He signed the back of the bottle for me as well.

photo temporary_zps7af6228f.jpg
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    This is the result of my bourbon spending spree the last month or so of 2014. Next on my list is a bottle of Kelt XO and Glenmorangie 18 for times when I'm not in a bourbon mood.
    Ken Light:
    90+ Irishman:

Brett, have you tried the Widow Jane before? It's one of my current favorites, tried it around this time last year at a local cigar B&M that happened to have a tasting while I was there. Really nice guys doing the tasting, and they grow their own corn in upstate NY and mess with strains of it and stuff in experimental bottlings.
    I cracked the Widow open a few days ago, so far I have tried it neat and with 4 drops of water. Neat was very good but the finish was missing... Something I dunno. Tried it after allowing to open for 5 min with the water and wow what a change, only Michter's changed so much for my palate and so far my fav is still Angel's Envy, but Widow Jane, Michter's and Booker's are tied for 2nd place for me. Haven't cracked the Stagg Jr. yet so really can't say though I suspect it may turn out to be a new favorite for me. The store I found it at only got two bottles in all of 2014, the bottle I got was actually on the managers desk and he got it for me and eventually let me buy it (he was hoarding lol).
    Ken Light:
    Met the distiller at a tasting a couple weeks ago and let me try the entire line. Most were very good, but this was the best/most unique of them. He signed the back of the bottle for me as well.

photo temporary_zps7af6228f.jpg
    Very neat bottle, you said it was pretty unique Ken.... What did you get from it?
    D Fresh:
    This is the result of my bourbon spending spree the last month or so of 2014. Next on my list is a bottle of Kelt XO and Glenmorangie 18 for times when I'm not in a bourbon mood.
    Wow D, that's quite the collection there! That ORVW and Lot B I bet are just spectacular.
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    Wow D, that's quite the collection there! That ORVW and Lot B I bet are just spectacular.
    They are both really good. I don't have the heart to open up the PVW 20 yet. Most of the others I have cracked open except for the Eagle Rare. I really like the Wild Turkey Diamond.The Elijah Craig and Four Roses are both delicious for barrel strengths. There's a few more bottles I wanted this fall but had hit my budget. Still hoping a store by me holds on the the E H Taylor Barrel Proof a little longer as I would like to get that one too.

I have tried the Michters but I'm not familiar with your other bottles. Let me know how you like them!
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    They are both really good. I don't have the heart to open up the PVW 20 yet. Most of the others I have cracked open except for the Eagle Rare. I really like the Wild Turkey Diamond.The Elijah Craig and Four Roses are both delicious for barrel strengths. There's a few more bottles I wanted this fall but had hit my budget. Still hoping a store by me holds on the the E H Taylor Barrel Proof a little longer as I would like to get that one too.

I have tried the Michters but I'm not familiar with your other bottles. Let me know how you like them!
    The E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof is something that's caught my eye as well hope you can grab it! I haven't had the Four Roses or Elijah yet, but I have been a fan of both Eagle Rare and Wild Turkey offerings for quite a while and really enjoy those. Though I'm still new enough to this bourbon craze that I haven't tried a lot of them yet. And I don't have many friends local who are big bourbon nuts so I can't sample many before having to take the plunge and buy them. If I could ever be lucky enough to come across a bottle of George T. Stagg or William Larue Weller I would go nuts and jump on them in a heartbeat but that ain't happening. The Old Rip and Pappy are obviously a Unicorn but will be some time before I can even try to get those.

As for my collection, which ones caught your eye? I'd be happy to do my best to try to describe them or I can even send you some samples or something if you want. The bottles behind that you can't easily see are Booker's, Glenmorangie 12 year Quinta Ruban, Bulleit Rye, Tullamoore Dew 12 year, Chivas Regal 12 year, and Old Weller Antique 107.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:
    D Fresh:

The E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof is something that's caught my eye as well hope you can grab it! I haven't had the Four Roses or Elijah yet, but I have been a fan of both Eagle Rare and Wild Turkey offerings for quite a while and really enjoy those. Though I'm still new enough to this bourbon craze that I haven't tried a lot of them yet. And I don't have many friends local who are big bourbon nuts so I can't sample many before having to take the plunge and buy them. If I could ever be lucky enough to come across a bottle of George T. Stagg or William Larue Weller I would go nuts and jump on them in a heartbeat but that ain't happening. The Old Rip and Pappy are obviously a Unicorn but will be some time before I can even try to get those.

As for my collection, which ones caught your eye? I'd be happy to do my best to try to describe them or I can even send you some samples or something if you want. The bottles behind that you can't easily see are Booker's, Glenmorangie 12 year Quinta Ruban, Bulleit Rye, Tullamoore Dew 12 year, Chivas Regal 12 year, and Old Weller Antique 107.
    Very Nice Guys!!!
    thanks Rudy, you should post yours up! And then you should send me one of those Old Rip bottles so we can "age" it at Mile High Elevation and see how it changes from the other two bottles at your neck of the woods :P
    90+ Irishman:

The Colorado Straight bourbon, Widow Jane, and the one on the far right up front are the ones I am not familiar with.

William Larue Weller was my number 1 hope this year but didn't get lucky. George T Stagg was really good this year but again wasn't able to score any. Thankfully there's about 5 of us that get as much as we can then have a few guys nights throughout the year to open some bottles and smoke some cigars. That's really how I got into the bourbon.
    D Fresh:
    90+ Irishman:

The Colorado Straight bourbon, Widow Jane, and the one on the far right up front are the ones I am not familiar with.

William Larue Weller was my number 1 hope this year but didn't get lucky. George T Stagg was really good this year but again wasn't able to score any. Thankfully there's about 5 of us that get as much as we can then have a few guys nights throughout the year to open some bottles and smoke some cigars. That's really how I got into the bourbon.
    The Peach Street Colorado Straight Bourbon is a younger one think it's 2 years or less, and you can tell but not dramatically. It isn't as smooth or oaky as most aged bourbons but is still very very good. Great character and wonderfully smooth finish, I get heavy loads of caramel and oddly enough a banana bread flavor that I really enjoy. As for the Wifow Jane I am really loving that one the little I've tried. It's quite bold and very rich, heavy mouth feel and decent burn but really opens up delightfully with a few drops of water. The finish for my palate was like velvet and had a dark cherry note and spicy oak on the finish for me. The last one is Corner Creek Bourbon. It's one of my "cheaper" favs. It has more character and flavor than most anything in its price range that I've tried, the only downside ibe found is that the finish isn't as smooth and crisp as I like. That's one of the reasons I like the Woodford and Michter's so well is how smooth and painless the finish is. The Corner Creek has more character than Woodford but doesn't finish as nicely. Hope that helps some. It's worth trying and I bet you'd really like it for the price.
  • That Eagle Rare is stellar..I prefer Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve. Jim Beam Devil's Cut is smooth too I also cam across a distillery in the Hudson Valley are of Central NEw York called Hudson little sharp on the bite but overall good
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    The last 6 months i have kind of gone off the deep end with buying bourbon. All these were bought in last 6 months except angels envy and elijah craig 12yr. Birthday Bourbon was a gift from a great brother.
  • that grand old dad will knock anyone on their ass...It's been a long time for me with the buffalo trace I forgot about that one...
    Very nice Justin, heck of a collection thanks for sharing bro ;)
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see this thread is taking off and as long as we can keep that Irish guy from posting in the other one maybe this will all work out. ;-). Just kidding Brett, I heart you man!
  • so the whiskey is in front of the tv with nickeloden playing....who's babysitting....BWHAHAHAHAHA!
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    cirino_sesto:
    so the whiskey is in front of the tv with nickeloden playing....who's babysitting....BWHAHAHAHAHA!
    Its only in front of TV for the pic..lol