Home Cigar 101

new cigars in humidor

do I remove my cigars from their plastic wrapper or just put them strait in the humidor after I season it.

Comments

• jury is out on that...you should open the ends up but not take them out of the wrapper. the cellophane will help regulate the humidity and protect the sticks from absorbing too much moisture and bursting, which can happen to the sticks closest to the humidification
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    cirino_sesto:
    jury is out on that...you should open the ends up but not take them out of the wrapper. the cellophane will help regulate the humidity and protect the sticks from absorbing too much moisture and bursting, which can happen to the sticks closest to the humidification
    I've never heard of this, is it a common problem? I'm thinking if sticks burst, your RH might be a little high.
  • some use sponges to keep their boxes humid if the cigars come in contact they swell and burst
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    A sponge without beads, boveda or kitty litter?I'm a known troll, but this is a genuine series of questions. I sometimes use a sponge in addition to beads, if the rh drops low. Never had to take any precautions on how close it was to cigars. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    A sponge without beads, boveda or kitty litter?I'm a known troll, but this is a genuine series of questions. I sometimes use a sponge in addition to beads, if the rh drops low. Never had to take any precautions on how close it was to cigars. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
    Hey Rain, pay attention... You can learn something new every day ... ;)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilde1583:
    do I remove my cigars from their plastic wrapper or just put them strait in the humidor after I season it.
    I don't remove cellophane form cigars. I prefer to keep it on. It keeps me from damaging sticks as I handle them. I can quickly slip one in my pocket for later without searching for a herfador or any other means of protection. Plus I can write on the cellophane to keep track of dates and stuff.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    wilde1583:
    I don't remove cellophane form cigars. I prefer to keep it on. It keeps me from damaging sticks as I handle them. I can quickly slip one in my pocket for later without searching for a herfador or any other means of protection. Plus I can write on the cellophane to keep track of dates and stuff.

Im with Bobbo on this one! I find unwrapped cigars flake at the foot or crack easier in non protected transportation situations. I also worry about digging through my selection hunting for a good smoke and scraping or draggin a stick across the humi wall or bottom. BUT its all personal preference.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cirino_sesto:
    the cellophane will help regulate the humidity and protect the sticks from absorbing too much moisture and bursting, which can happen to the sticks closest to the humidification
    cellophane does not help regulate moisture. cellophane is water resistant but not moisture resistant. it is a porous material.

Cellophane - Wikipedia:
    Cellophane is the most popular material for manufacturing cigar packaging; its permeability to moisture makes cellophane the perfect product for this application as cigars must be allowed to "breathe" while in storage.
    if it helps keep the cigar from bursting it is because the cigar grew that large from way over humidifying. a cigar will have to grow 2-4 ring gauges to have the cellophane hold it together. with that much moisture in the humidor, the cigars around the humidification device arent the only cigars that will have issues. mold will be a problem for the rest of the cigars in the box.

if your humidification device causes your cigars to burst then you are doing something wrong (adding too much water). If you want to take any chance out of it throw that device out and get something that doesnt suck so bad like beads, litter, boveda, Xikar gel jars, etc....
    there are plenty of cheap options that are easily attainable.