Home Cigar 101

Seasoning with a dish of water?

Hey guys! I have a small problem and wanted to see if you guys could help!
I got a new 100ct humidor for the holidays and was going to season it w/ 4 Boveda 84% packs. (Not going to wipe down...did that once with not-so-great results.) Here's the problem...they haven't arrived yet (late...hooray UPS/USPS) and I have to leave in less than the allotted 14-days for them to work...and I'll be gone for a month! I've seen people say they can use a shot glass or small dish of distilled water to season instead. SO...how long does that need to properly season this humidor? If possible, I want to have this humi ready to go by Jan 8 (Leaving early on the 9th and already ordered more cigars to fill it)! I also have 65% HF beads ready to go once it's ready for that. Being that I've never done it this way, any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any advice? OK then. Here goes. I'd wait until you get back from your month-long absence. Because even if I had spent the time and effort on a slow season method I'd want to be around to continuously monitor the results instead of having to leave the humidor for a month.
  • You know Bob...that's pretty good advice. I thought of that too but didn't want to say it out loud! Haha
    So with the rest of my sticks with no humi...tupperware with some boveda packs?
    ejasenovic:
    You know Bob...that's pretty good advice. I thought of that too but didn't want to say it out loud! Haha
    So with the rest of my sticks with no humi...tupperware with some boveda packs?
    Yes. Tupperware, or, a good airtight Ziploc bag is a good choice to use with bovedas. I know. It's hard not to jump right in there and play with our new toys/humidors but we learn from our mistakes. And rushing things would be a mistake. Besides, Ziploc with Boveda is a pretty solid arrangement. My dad doesn't smoke cigars very often but I trust a Ziploc and Boveda combination to keep a small stash for him (and for me) at his house instead of asking him to monitor a small humi.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Any advice? OK then. Here goes. I'd wait until you get back from your month-long absence. Because even if I had spent the time and effort on a slow season method I'd want to be around to continuously monitor the results instead of having to leave the humidor for a month.
    lmao bob would be right!! Yeah put your cigars in a ziplock freezer bag with two boveda 65's till you get back! Good luck best wishes
    Money can't buy taste
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Bob
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Thanks guys! I'll be going that route. I rushed the last humi...hence the need for the new one. Well...one kind of need anyway...going to a 100ct humi is pretty awesome haha.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    Thanks guys! I'll be going that route. I rushed the last humi...hence the need for the new one. Well...one kind of need anyway...going to a 100ct humi is pretty awesome haha.
    Give it a few months and you'll need another humidor! Some of the best advice I read and didn't follow was to get a humidor bigger than you expect. I bought a 100 count 3 months ago thinking there's no chance I end up with more than that many cigars. Now I have that, some tupperware containers, and am thinking about a coolidor sooner rather than later.

You're definitely making the right decision to wait. Best advice I did follow was being patient when seasoning my humidor.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late to the post.

I have always wiped down my humidors with humi-wipes (squeezed out of course), never had a problem and will continue to use them. It was always a situation where I needed to season a humidor quickly.

Recently had the chance to pick up a Cinco Vegas box from Zeebra with some help from BigShizza (I haven't forgot you) and went the dish method. It worked really well, but took over a week. Was not in a hurry and was very pleased with the results.

Of course we always use distilled water but I bought 2 bottles of "Humi-Care Cigarjuice" and am contemplating experimenting with it. Has anyone used it?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This time of year especially. Everytime I go to the boat in the winter by the time I get home my humidor has dropped off my 10%. And I usually try to get it over 70% before I go back.
    Rhamlin:
    This time of year especially. Everytime I go to the boat in the winter by the time I get home my humidor has dropped off my 10%. And I usually try to get it over 70% before I go back.
    You might consider placing your desktops inside a cooler with some extra bovedas when you're gone. I've done exactly that full time this winter to keep from losing so much humidity, like I did last year. It's working out great as far as function. Form and style are out the window though. LOL