Home General Discussion
Options

Disclaimer in film credits.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
I actually recall no tobacco use in the film at all.

"Neither Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Regency Entertainment (USA), Inc., Bass Films, LLC, nor Monarchy Enterprises S.a.r.l. received any payment or other consideration, nor entered into any agreement, for the depiction of tobacco products in this film.

It was a period film. 1840s.
I'm not surprised that these Hollywood folks would go to ridiculous lengths to distance themselves from tobacco but, I'm a little surprised by the lengths to which this disclaimer reaches.
Who, in their right mind, would believe what they disclaim, would actually take place?
That a present day present day tobacco producer/distributor would pay for product placement in a film depiction of the 1840s?
Something like that would have been outlawed already, Right?
What's next?
Will depictions of Satan in film be cause for specific disclaimers?
"All Devils appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real Devils, Satan or Lucifer, is purely coincidental."

Comments

• Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

"Neither Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Regency Entertainment (USA), Inc., Bass Films, LLC, nor Monarchy Enterprises S.a.r.l. received any payment or other consideration, nor entered into any agreement, for the depiction of tobacco products in this film.

I'm not surprised that these Hollywood folks would go to ridiculous lengths to distance themselves from tobacco but, I'm a little surprised by the lengths to which this disclaimer reaches.
    Who, in their right mind, would believe what they disclaim, would actually take place?
    That a present day present day tobacco producer/distributor would pay for product placement in a film depiction of the 1840s?
    Something like that would have already been outlawed, Right?
    What's next?
    "All Devils appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real Devils, Satan or Lucifer, is purely coincidental."
    I think that's pretty much explains the status of our current legal system. Why do have "Caution: hot" on our McDonald's coffee cups. Warnings for hot pickles on the burger... Because someone, somewhere was able to sue, and win.

But yeah, you're right. Crazy. And then there is the whole "any similarities between this and actual events/persons... purely coincidental" statements are also amusing. Even on movies that do portray actual events or persons.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    "No animals used in this film were harmed. In fact, they're not even real animals. They're computer generated. No computers used to generate these animals were harmed. One keyboard used on the computers had coffee spilled on it and stopped working. Here at CCom, we don't condone the use of coffee or the abuse of keyboards. The employee that spilled the coffee was promptly fired."
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    "No animals used in this film were harmed. In fact, they're not even real animals. They're computer generated. No computers used to generate these animals were harmed. One keyboard used on the computers had coffee spilled on it and stopped working. Here at CCom, we don't condone the use of coffee or the abuse of keyboards. The employee that spilled the coffee was promptly fired."
    LOL... Randy... that like... qualifies for Troll statement of the week. I nominate you.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

Something like that would have been outlawed already, Right?
    What's next?
    But the vampires? They're still real, right?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean to tell me the zombies are not dead? Whoa... Mind blown!9

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's another one; ever read the "warning label" on a bic lighter? How ridiculous is that? Basically tells you in tiny writing that what you're holding is.............a lighter. Duh, anyone who could read it already knew that!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    received any payment or other consideration, nor entered into any agreement, for the depiction of tobacco products in this film.
    Just finished watching the new Hobbit movie, and this disclaimer was there too lol
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Bob Luken:
    received any payment or other consideration, nor entered into any agreement, for the depiction of tobacco products in this film.
    Just finished watching the new Hobbit movie, and this disclaimer was there too lol
    Do you recall anybody smoking ?
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Hays:
    Bob Luken:
    Haven't seen it, but they use lots of pipeweed, don't they? Between Bilbo and Gandalf?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    Hays:
    Bob Luken:
    Haven't seen it, but they use lots of pipeweed, don't they? Between Bilbo and Gandalf?
    Yeah, there wasn't as much in this one as the last couple, but there's at least one scene of Gandalf smoking his pipe.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨