Home Cigar 101
Options

Cubans are illegal - what else?

I am old enough to know about Cuban cigars being illegal.  But is there any other important legal issues to know?  

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I believe that it is also illegal for an American citizen to purchase them abroad.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't drink and drive?! And get caught?!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I believe that it is also illegal for an American citizen to purchase them abroad.
    this is correct.

it is illegal for a US citizen to go to a country where Cuban cigars are legal, purchase one and smoke it even if that citizen never attempts to bring the cigar onto US soil. (the point of the embargo is to stop the flow of cash to cuba, not keep cuban goods out, witch is why pre-embargo goods are still legal.). of course, there is no way to enforce this aspect of the law. we dont have US law enforcement in foreign B&Ms.

... we do have customs... and they frown on bringing illegal items into the US. I dont recommend it.
  • Options
    LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    don't eat too much.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i heard that JFK ordered 1500 Cuban cigars the week before he imposed the embargo on Cuba.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I wanna momma like you!

Aj
  • Options
    Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    First Warrior:
    i heard that JFK ordered 1500 Cuban cigars the week before he imposed the embargo on Cuba.
    actually he asked his aid to go get as many of his favorite H. Upmann vitolas as humanly possible. When the aid returned with the haul (I've heard 1200 or 1500) Kennedy signed the embargo. what a cheesy move lol
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I think you can bring Cuban goods into the US as long as the total weight is 7% or less of the goods. I believe some chocolate bars have Cuban sugar in them, but they do not advertise it. There is a cigar brand that claims to have Cuban tobacco in them, and by way of packaging them in a means that adds significant weight, they get around the 7% deal. Their boxes are humidors or heavy jars. I will not say the brand publicly, as I am not sure if they make it known publicly, but they sure do tell everyone. I cannot say I buy it, but the cigar is damn good.
  • Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    First Warrior:
    are sure it was JFK and Not Bill Clinton?
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:
    No, but Clinton had a special humidor!

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

Vibrating?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

More like a Stinky ashtray.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

he did? lol
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

Vibrating?
    hahahaha
  • Options

The allowance for bringing in up to $100 worth of Cuban cigars if you were on authorized travel to Cuba is no longer in effect. All importations of Cuban cigars are illegal, including Cuban cigars that were acquired in other countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).

There is now an across board ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products, as well as most other products of Cuban origin. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to engage in Cuban travel related transactions.

Importing from Cuba requires dealing in property in which Cuba or a Cuban national has an interest, and is therefore prohibited. The Regulations also include a specific prohibition on importing and dealing in merchandise that is of Cuban origin, that has been derived from Cuba- origin materials, or that has been located or transported through Cuba. As a result, no such merchandise (including souvenirs) may be imported into the United States either directly or through third countries such as Canada or Mexico absent a license from OFAC. The only exception to this prohibition is for “information or informational materials,” as defined in § 515.332 of the Regulations. Examples include publications, recorded music, and certain artwork.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    It was Pierre Salinger who acquired the cigars for JFK because it was his favorite cigar. Kennedy knew he was going to sign the embargo but he didn't sign it til Salinger got the cigars. Further iinto Kennedys term Cuban Cigars were sent to him by foreign dignitaries but were intercepted by Salinger or his staff and were disposed of because of the Embargo.
  • Options
    phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    Cigary:
    It was Pierre Salinger who acquired the cigars for JFK because it was his favorite cigar. Kennedy knew he was going to sign the embargo but he didn't sign it til Salinger got the cigars. Further iinto Kennedys term Cuban Cigars were sent to him by foreign dignitaries but were intercepted by Salinger or his staff and were disposed of because of the Embargo.
    Disposed of? I'll bet they were burned.
  • Options
    phishstyx:
    Cigary:
    Disposed of? I'll bet they were burned.
    yep most likely with K Bourbon
  • Options
    I was in Nassau and did was able to purchase cubans, with intent to smoke them while there. I had no issues.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jeffpodraza:
    I was in Nassau and did was able to purchase cubans, with intent to smoke them while there. I had no issues.

By law, no matter where in the world you are, you, as an American citizen, are breaking the law if you even possess a Cuban cigar - never mind smoke one. Check out this thread:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/359895/ShowThread.aspx#359895.

It isn't usually strictly enforced but it IS the law.... ??
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Chances are, the "Cubans" you bought in Nassau were fakes anyway. No law against smoking fakes....??
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

Its where he kept his "infused" cigars ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    YankeeMan:
    Retircs1:
    First Warrior:

Its where he kept his "infused" cigars ;)
    sounds *fishy* to me.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kuzi16:

The allowance for bringing in up to $100 worth of Cuban cigars if you were on authorized travel to Cuba is no longer in effect. All importations of Cuban cigars are illegal, including Cuban cigars that were acquired in other countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).

looks like this is now false...
    if you travel to cuba you can now bring back up to $100 worth of tobacco and alcohol (combined total)
    of course to travel to Cuba you have to have permission... good luck with that.
    and $100 is only a small hand full of cigars.