Home Cigar 101

Humidor lip/seal

kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok here is a question I cannot seem to find the answer to. Some humidors have the lip on the lid and some have the lip on the body. I am thinking ones with lip on the body MAY have a better seal (in theory). Does it really matter were the lip is?.. Also is "Sure seal technology" just a marketing ploy or is there actually a difference?.. Reason I asked is both my el-cheapo humidors passed the whoosh test but failed the dollar bill test.

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you use tape on the lip to build it out and provide a better seal?
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know to do that... On another note I did however put light pressure on the lid and then tried pulling the dollar and found I could not very easy (maybe tear it).. So then decided to try putting a 20oz candle from walmart on the lid and gently tug on the dollar which resulted in sliding the humidor all around the table.. So my theory now is unless you put something on the lid or apply slight pressure to the lid when you go to pull on the dollar the lid may creep up a bit.. Worse case I will have to keep a candle on the lid?..lol
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat:
    I did not know to do that... On another note I did however put light pressure on the lid and then tried pulling the dollar and found I could not very easy (maybe tear it).. So then decided to try putting a 20oz candle from walmart on the lid and gently tug on the dollar which resulted in sliding the humidor all around the table.. So my theory now is unless you put something on the lid or apply slight pressure to the lid when you go to pull on the dollar the lid may creep up a bit.. Worse case I will have to keep a candle on the lid?..lol
    A cheap humidor of mine had a problem sealing at the hinge end of the box. I filed away some of the cedar to seat the hinges a hair deeper but that didn't do much.

I ended up removing the hinges entirely and the lid now seats nice & flush providing a better seal.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you season it yet?
    Money can't buy taste
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have dishes of distilled water sitting in them as I type... Still not sure what sure seal technology is as I do not see any differences in pictures..
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    The wood will swell making a much better seal once seasoned
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    worst case is you buy some very small D-ring weather strip and put it around the seal.