Home General Discussion
Options

ThanksGiving smokers

as I Navy Cook would love to know how you are preparing your bird ? I make two every year. I smoke one or brine it and do one traditional here is one for my past years image

Comments

• Options
    Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    please provide what cigar you think goes good with turkey. I have two NDB's for me and my dad after the meal.
  • Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started brining my turkeys two years ago. They taste way better brined.
  • Options
    what do you put in your brine?
  • Options
    Salt, brown sugar, vegetable stock, black pepper corns, allspice berries and candied ginger. I brine the bird for overnight for about 24 hours. I add rosemary and thyme to the cavity. Turns out great.
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    Salt, brown sugar, vegetable stock, black pepper corns, allspice berries and candied ginger. I brine the bird for overnight for about 24 hours. I add rosemary and thyme to the cavity. Turns out great.
    Sounds outstanding !!!!!
  • Options
    D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    Eulogy:
    Sounds outstanding !!!!!
    That does sound good! One thing I would recommend trying is making some compound butter with rosemary and thyme, let that harden in the fridge overnight. Then slice some pieces up and slide them under the skin while smoking. I'm not going to win any healthy eating awards!
  • Options
    I've never tried smoking a turkey.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I always brine with salt pepper and rosemary tasted good and have smoked a turkey but it's too long of a cool in cold ass weather!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    I use a barrel BBQ er indirect heat smoke for only 30 to 40 mins season with compound butter sage / ltry no more than 15 lb bird unstuffed and apple wood bacon over the top 170 inner temp rest for 30 mins cut. Based through the cooking process
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year I'm going to do a Maple Bourbon turkey smoked on my Traeger.
  • Options
    Retircs1:
    Eulogy:
    I use a barrel BBQ er indirect heat smoke for only 30 to 40 mins season with compound butter sage / ltry no more than 15 lb bird unstuffed and apple wood bacon over the top 170 inner temp rest for 30 mins cut. Based through the cooking process
    That sounds awesome, but it seems like it would be a lot of work; especially since I do all the cooking for my family.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to give it a try this year. We are usually never home for Thanksgiving, but will have to dig up some recipes. I use a Bradley smoker.
  • Options
    bandyt09:
    This year I'm going to do a Maple Bourbon turkey smoked on my Traeger.
    oh my :) that sound GOOD!
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I usually do a standard turkey, stuffed with maripoux (sp?), green and red peppers and quartered green apples. Then a compound butter rub under the skin.
  • Options
    what Cigar are you all looking to smoke after the Thanksgiving meal? NDB's sweet light and smooth hint of vanilla bean and spice
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Eulogy:

I'll send you a Gurkha
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Eulogy:

I'll send you a Gurkha
    I tried to smoke a turkey once but had a heck of a time wrapping him up.
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    Eulogy:

I'll send you a Gurkha
    A wiseguy...
  • Options
    Eulogy:
    The3Stogies:
    Eulogy:

I'll send you a Gurkha
    A wiseguy...
    indirect heat very easy to do I would try a small bird no more than 10 to 12lbs
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Now if I smoke a turkey which end do I light, lol.
    Wife will do the turkey in the oven, traditional. You guys got me thinking now, maybe next year.

• Options
    LOL hahaha
  • Options
    after getting a big hit from JD I am not sure what I will smoke after thanksgiving meal but I will smoke more that two. Love to see a pic of the Bird and your stick on Thanksgiving I hope you all have a great day.
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Here's hopin I have a stick for thankskilling lol but im having deer not bird.mmm wish the uh was here for it
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    Tyland64Tyland64 Posts: 712
    I have some well aged Tatuaje brown label lanceros that I will share with my buddy Kingjk on our day of thanks.
  • Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We been thinking about deep frying one this year.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    twistedstem:
    We been thinking about deep frying one this year.
    it is good to deep fry a bird
  • Options
    I need to do all the shopping tomorrow. Hope there's still a turkey left.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i brine all my birds, chickens, ducks, cornish hens, all of them . Makes them flavorful and sweet. I've got a Viaje Dark Meat waiting for me after the meal.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    i brine all my birds, chickens, ducks, cornish hens, all of them . Makes them flavorful and sweet. I've got a Viaje Dark Meat waiting for me after the meal.
    Outstanding!!!
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    Outstanding!!!