Home Cigar 101

so confused!! Need cooler help

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
Guys,
Is there a guide to getting started with a cooler setup that I can follow easily?
I did a search and got lots of advanced help but I did not see a step by step beginning guide.

What kind of KL?
what sort of cooler?
ceder for lining? where do we get that?
Help please

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any cooler with a good seal will work. There is a thread listing good brands to get (no scent) but I could only find the Mimi brand at walmart. Just use boxes for a cedar smell. It isn't really necessary to line it with cedar, in my opinion, as I read somewhere. I bought a Coleman 48 qt and bought a second one later. Both combined cost half the price of my first 100 ct. It is so nice to have. You will love it.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, search the forum for coolidor. I also found videos on youtube.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cedar also helps balance the rh. As far as kitty litter goes there was a good vs bad on here, but basically the unseated silica kind is a great option. Cooler with a great seal is all that is required. Be sure to clean the inside to eliminate orders and to a have a clean start.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the coolers I use. The lid seals great. 70 quarts. Not so big that I can't move them around by myself easily. $40 at Walmart.

Wash it out with a mild soapy dishwashing liquid. Rinse well with hot water. (I do this in the shower.) Towel dry and let it air out overnight. As far as litter goes I've used Mimi from walmar and also exquizicat from petsmart. I'll bump the good vs bad kitty litter thread. Test the KL in the container it comes in or in a ziploc. You may already be very close to the desired RH you want to achieve without adding moisture. There're a lot of other tips that are useful but that's the basic idea. If you want to talk one on one send me yor number in a PM and I'll call you tomorrow and answer any additional specifics. It's pretty easy really.
  • reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the exact same cooler as Bob! I used the same method to set it up, only difference is I used exquisicat litter. I can leave that sucker alone for months and nothing changes!! Love it!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually wipe mine down with hydrogen peroxide...pretty much odorless and kills everything! I run 4 boveda packs and two water pillows and it sticks at 66 with no problems
    Money can't buy taste
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I actually wipe mine down with hydrogen peroxide...pretty much odorless and kills everything! I run 4 boveda packs and two water pillows and it sticks at 66 with no problems
    This would work well if you don't want to mess with the litter. Sounds like an excellent setup Lee. The water pillows should assist the bovedas in lasting a long time befor they need a recharge or replacement.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This would work well if you don't want to mess with the litter. Sounds like an excellent setup Lee. The water pillows should assist the bovedas in lasting a long time befor they need a recharge or replacement.
    yeah haven't changed the bovedas in around 9monthes I'd say and they are just the way I got them
    Money can't buy taste
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I've got a thread about my evolving coolidor somewhere on here.its a big Coleman with half a pound of silica sand/beads I got off of ebay and I built plastic shelves that I use along with a few boxes.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I have a coleman cooler. I got one that wasn't too large. Put in my cigars, added appropriate number of boveda 65% packs. I included a couple empty cedar cigar boxes. The cooler is about half full. Since coolers are cheap, I can always buy a larger one down the road. Never pre washed it or anything. Just added everything and kept lid closed tight. For 3 months now no problems what so ever. I do keep the cooler in our basement in a desk drawer.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the same cooler that Bob is using as well. I bought some pre-made cedar trays for storing singles or bundles that don't come in their own boxes. This has been really nice to have. I put a digital hygro on the lid and use 65% heartfelt beads. I'm constantly in and out of the cooler and it is always rock steady at 65%. Once every other month or so I need to recharge the beads, maybe. Now that it is pretty well full it recovers so quickly that It will probably be every 3 months or so that I need to recharge them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Ok guys!! I got the cooler

I bought the 50 qt, not enough room for the 70 in my space. I got the recommended Kitty litter from the good kitty litter thread, thankyou guys for the helpful links.
    Bob Luken:
    Here's the coolers I use. The lid seals great. 70 quarts. Not so big that I can't move them around by myself easily. $40 at Walmart.

Wash it out with a mild soapy dishwashing liquid. Rinse well with hot water. (I do this in the shower.) Towel dry and let it air out overnight. As far as litter goes I've used Mimi from walmar and also exquizicat from petsmart. I'll bump the good vs bad kitty litter thread. Test the KL in the container it comes in or in a ziploc. You may already be very close to the desired RH you want to achieve without adding moisture. There're a lot of other tips that are useful but that's the basic idea. If you want to talk one on one send me yor number in a PM and I'll call you tomorrow and answer any additional specifics. It's pretty easy really.
    PM sir