Home Non Cigar Related

Best home remedies for the Common Cold?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up a doozy from my 12-year-old. I feel like poop. What have y'all found to be the most effective remedies for cold symptoms?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Wow Puff, sorry to hear that. Whenever I get a cold I isolate myself to one room with a TV. I get plenty of rest, take in lots of fluids like water, chicken soup, sports drink and I bump up vitamins like zinc & vitamin C. Hope you feel better soonest.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Lessening your symptoms can prolong your cold =/
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    last winter the hot toddy got me through a cold. Either helps the symptoms or stops the caring. Win-win. :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-toddy/
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Ginger root, ginger root, and ginger root. Read it is one of the only things kills rhino-virus which is the base of the common cold so it is a good preventative measure. I buy ginger root, shave about a tablespoon or so and brew regular tea with it in the basket. I try and drink a cup every other day or so, very tasty. That will build your defenses.
    For the cold symptoms I made ginger, hyssop and sage tea, have a heath food store down the road all kinds of fresh herbs. A little honey for sweetness too. Picked up some eucalyptus oil, couple of drops in a bowl of warm water, towel over your head, for vaporizing the congestion. Done this the last 2 times, seems to help. I am no doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Hate going to the doctor and hate taking antibiotics if I don't have to.
    Hope you feel better.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot buttered rum with lemon. Wrap up in a couple of blankets and sweat it out.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Warrior:
    Hot buttered rum with lemon. Wrap up in a couple of blankets and sweat it out.
    Yep. Plenty of whiskey, a stack of wool blankets, and plan to change the sheets after you sweat them all stinky.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hot water, lemon juice and honey help ease some of the symptoms and a soar throat. A good couple shots of whiskey help me sleep it off.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Two possibilities. One is the chemo-therapy approach. Start drinking Jack Daniels until someone dies, you or the bug. The other is Zinc. Tastes like ****, but makes it manageable.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to eat a lot of hot and sour soup plus spicy foods! Kills my gut but you sweat it all out...plus the soup is really good for you
    Money can't buy taste
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homemade chicken soup if Mrs. Puff is up for it. Then finish it off with warm whiskey, lemon and some hot water.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice Cold Vodka and hot sauce.....in a shot glass.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, brothers. Still feeling crappy, but a big bowl of Mrs. Puff's 5 alarm chili opened up the sinuses for the moment. Wish I could go to bed for a few days, but there are no paid days off in commission sales. May just have to work my way through all of these great suggestions...
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Sleep and liquids really best thing, especially liquids that help you sleep.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Feed a Cold, Starve a Fever.....with that said, basically Vitamin C, homemade chicken noodle soup, fluids, and lots of rest... and a couple Hot Totties at night!!!!!

Hope you feel better soon!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    sex.

Aj
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    sex.

Aj
    Trust him, He's a Dr. Lol
    One God, One Truth
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    it works in my opinion.

try it, treat it like its the last shot at procreating ever... you will find strength in places you never had...

Aj
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear root syrup (or Osha root), Nasty tasting stuff, like extremely strong licorice, but it will knock the hell out of a cough.
    It's a native thing, but my grandmother used to make us take it when we caught colds.
    Probably though, the taste made us forget about the cough.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    sex.

Aj
    Trust him, He's a Dr. Lol
    Best. Prescription. Ever. :^)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Two possibilities. One is the chemo-therapy approach. Start drinking Jack Daniels until someone dies, you or the bug. The other is Zinc. Tastes like ****, but makes it manageable.
    I saw this when it was posted and laughed to my self. Every time I feel a cold coming on this is basically what I do, however I start with Rumplemintz (it's like caugh surup) and keep going. 90% of the time I wake fine. No more cold, also steam shower during this "kill process" is key.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.