Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Winter Trip---Help me out here fellas

VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
So, the wife and I are looking to take a trip for our girls (5 and 7) to see snow the first time. Thinking Chicago (where I grew up) and all the big city stuff.....but the wife is slower paced than me, and is thinking more mountains area. I have never been in this area and while initially didnt like it, it is growing on me fast. Looking at Elkins, Horseshoe Mountain areas in West Virginia as a possibility. Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina is also up there---though I must admit, its mainly for snow and cold...not for skiing.

What Im looking for is ideas or assistance. I live in Florida, and dont want to fly or drive all the way to Buffalo or something like that. I have looked at vacation rentals and all are pretty high that time of year for about 4 or 5 nights.

Sooooooo-----any ideas for other places where snow is pretty likely in early January? Anyone know a "friend of a friend of an Uncle" who may have a home or condo in that area they would be willing to rent? Just throwing all this out there and hoping I get some good responses of some kind. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Living far north of the Mason Dixon line, I don't know how much snow states like Virginia or Tennessee get.

You DEFINITELY don't want to go to Buffalo. Generally for any reason, but certainly not in the winter, which usually starts mid-October there.

Normally, I'd recommend coming up here to New England and staying in the White Mountains of NH or going up to Vermont, but during ski season hotels are pretty outrageously priced.

As a perhaps lower priced alternative you might want to consider the Poconos in Pennsylvania. It's pretty country, it's very likely there will be snow there in January and I'll bet you could find lodging that's less expensive than the ski lodge areas of New England. Plus, if you have a car, you're not too many hours of a drive from Philadelphia or even Pittsburgh if you want to get to a city.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mt Pisgah lodge is atop the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good restaurant, wonderful view, snows early.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Mt Pisgah lodge is atop the highest point of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Good restaurant, wonderful view, snows early.
    Just looked----appears nice, but closes in October:/............shoudl look into the Poconos as well. THe couple areas I listed in WV and such appear to have some good snowfall in Jaurary, but again not sure how much of a skiier I am.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say hit the Blue Ridge Pkwy around Copper Mtn GA or somewhere in NC, and take your time heading North until you've seen enough. Biltmore Estate in Asheville NC is definitely worth the time, lots more stuff as you go up from there.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live about 15 minutes from Grandfather Mountain. We get snow up here starting around 3500 ft. Jan into Feb would be the time to visit. The Blue Ridge Parkway doesn't plow the snow so the park rangers close off several sections of the Parkway when the snow hits. Banner Elk NC is about 30 minutes away and they have a few ski slopes. If it doesn't snow on the slopes they make snow and shoot it on. Might want to take the kids sking? In any event if you are in these parts PM me and we will burn one or two.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for skiing and laid back check out Vermont, New Hampshire and even Maine. Most of these ski areas have lots of other stuff going there as well. New Hampshire is tax free too, just sayin.
  • Options
    First Warrior:
    I live about 15 minutes from Grandfather Mountain. We get snow up here starting around 3500 ft. Jan into Feb would be the time to visit. The Blue Ridge Parkway doesn't plow the snow so the park rangers close off several sections of the Parkway when the snow hits. Banner Elk NC is about 30 minutes away and they have a few ski slopes. If it doesn't snow on the slopes they make snow and shoot it on. Might want to take the kids sking? In any event if you are in these parts PM me and we will burn one or two.
    Interesting. Kids wouldnt mind trying skiing Im sure. Grandfather seems exciting to me. Im still torn bnetween somthing like big city stuff in Chicago, IDK. Also, while I would love Vermont and Maine, unless we fly-----its pretty much too far.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Interesting. Kids wouldnt mind trying skiing Im sure. Grandfather seems exciting to me. Im still torn bnetween somthing like big city stuff in Chicago, IDK. Also, while I would love Vermont and Maine, unless we fly-----its pretty much too far.
    If you're in Florida, wouldn't you have to fly to Chicago as well? In any case, while Chicago is a great town, any part of the midwest is pure hell in winter. (I was born in Milwaukee, went to school in Madison, WI, have been in Chicago in winter. It's the worst.) Temperatures often never got above 0 for weeks at a time and the wind chill drive it down to -40 or below. If you have to worry about getting frostbitten in minutes that's not a fun vacation. And it's expensive. If your main goal is to expose your kids to things you can do in snow, you're better off going to one of the areas closer to you that these other gentlemen have been mentioning. Them maybe save your Chicago trip for the spring or summer, when the city is at its best.