Home Non Cigar Related

Study of study's $715K

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
By Eric Scheiner, CNS NEWS

(CNSNews.com) -“Use of exercise to reduce young adult marijuana use there is an app for that” is the title of a University of New York/Buffalo study that received a $715,500 grant from the National Institutes of Health.

The program aims to develop and study a smartphone app promoting exercise as an alternative to marijuana use.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta get a job approving grants. There's gotta be some sweet kickbacks.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    For a number of years back in the Paleolithic Era I worked for the health research dept of a major university (I was in IT, not research). At least 80% of their time these academics spent writing grant proposals for some of the most esoteric research nonsense ("Effectiveness of Alcoholism Treatment Programs Among Rural Ozark Minority Populations") that no one read or did anything about and served no other purpose than to give some starving Ph.D. student money to complete their dissertation and join the ranks of the otherwise unemployables. And I won't even tell you how much of these grants (often in six figures) were used to buy new computers, carpeting and furniture for the overpaid and self-important faculty members.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm all for Congress whittling most social research spending to the bone. Especially those involving apps and stoners.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bumped into another list of dumb NIH studies today, at Hope&ChangeCartoons:

• Male fruit flies would rather have sex with hot young female fruit flies rather than wrinkly older female fruit flies who are starting to look like Hillary Clinton. ($939,000)

• Chimps with the best ***-flinging abilities are also the best communicators, clearly establishing a Darwinian link to politicians. ($592,000)

• Cocaine can be used to make Japanese quail hornier. Which presumably cuts down on the amount of time they need for small talk and foreplay. ($181,000)

• Golfers can putt better if they just imagine the hole is bigger. Presumably female golfers can benefit from the same visualization technique when giving birth. ($1.1 million)

• Uncircumsized South African men who scrub their tallywhackers following sex may have a reduced chance of developing various kinds of godawful African crotch crud. ($832,000)

Still inconclusive is an expensive NIH study on why lesbians have a tendency to be overweight. We would suggest it's because they eat out too often, but the NIH grant we requested for a drummer to play therapeutic rimshots fell through.

funny stuff
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

• Male fruit flies would rather have sex with hot young female fruit flies rather than wrinkly older female fruit flies who are starting to look like Hillary Clinton. ($939,000)

• Chimps with the best ***-flinging abilities are also the best communicators, clearly establishing a Darwinian link to politicians. ($592,000)

• Cocaine can be used to make Japanese quail hornier. Which presumably cuts down on the amount of time they need for small talk and foreplay. ($181,000)

• Golfers can putt better if they just imagine the hole is bigger. Presumably female golfers can benefit from the same visualization technique when giving birth. ($1.1 million)

• Uncircumsized South African men who scrub their tallywhackers following sex may have a reduced chance of developing various kinds of godawful African crotch crud. ($832,000)

Still inconclusive is an expensive NIH study on why lesbians have a tendency to be overweight. We would suggest it's because they eat out too often, but the NIH grant we requested for a drummer to play therapeutic rimshots fell through.

funny stuff
    ^^^^^^^ now that's funny SH@T right there! Did you make this up?
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    webmost:

funny stuff
    ^^^^^^^ now that's funny SH@T right there! Did you make this up?

You can't make this stuff up. Wish they would attach the law makers name.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    oh yea... like working out is gonna wanna keep somebody from the blaze? LMAO sure pal.... spend some more of our money.