Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Butterflys and Dragonflys...

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
....are everywhere. What's up with that, isn't it kind of late for them? Looking out my bedroom window there is always 2 or 3 flitting about and I love it. Both are capable of wearing some really outstanding colors and the Dragonfly's are amazing.

But sadly since the jerk clear cut next to us there have been no Humming birds. Miss their antics and territorial disputes. They use to tap the windows when the nectar was running low in the feeders. And there has been a noticeable reduction in the numbers of Finches and Cardinals, in fact all birds.

But all the Cottonmouths have moved here from the destroyed area. Hate that jerk.

Comments

• Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I misread the title and thought it said dragons. I was a little bummed out when I realized you meant dragonflies. Oh well. Sorry bout the snakes, hope the doggies are OK.
  • Options
    blutattoo:
    I misread the title and thought it said dragons. I was a little bummed out when I realized you meant dragonflies. Oh well. Sorry bout the snakes, hope the doggies are OK.

Haven't seen any dragons for years, come to think of it....
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got dragon flys here in the North Carolina mountains. Here is one that got a little close to my studio. image
  • Options
    Shame on you.
  • Options
    All kidding aside, I like dragonflys too. The dragonfly pictured is part of a series of six large outdoor wall sculptures that I made a couple of years ago. I like the metalic wing and body colors. I really like it when the dragonflys lite on my kayak when I'm paddling. The nymph stage before they emerge is interesting because the dragonfly nymphs will eat anything they can catch including small fish. I've tied and fished imations of both the nymph and the adult. We have two hummingbird feeders out right now and one pair of the little birds is nesting behind my studio in the rhododrens.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    ....are everywhere. What's up with that, isn't it kind of late for them? Looking out my bedroom window there is always 2 or 3 flitting about and I love it. Both are capable of wearing some really outstanding colors and the Dragonfly's are amazing.

But sadly since the jerk clear cut next to us there have been no Humming birds. Miss their antics and territorial disputes. They use to tap the windows when the nectar was running low in the feeders. And there has been a noticeable reduction in the numbers of Finches and Cardinals, in fact all birds.

But all the Cottonmouths have moved here from the destroyed area. Hate that jerk.

Posting a bit late on this, but you're lucky you get the butterflies. Monarchs have all but disappeared up here in MA. Up until two years ago, we'd get a whole bunch on our hummingbird/butterfly garden but for the last two years we have seen a single one. Theory is is that people clearing off all the milkweed from land is removing their egg-laying options. I think they just hate winter.

Hummingbirds will come back if you plant flowers that attract them. It took me four years to get a hummingbird garden that attracted them, but I had at least 2-3 nearly all summer. Got some incredible footage of the little buggers. They love stuff like Bee Balm, Butterfly bushes, Sweet William, Salvia, Phlox, and Foxglove, especially red and pink varieties. They didn't go to my feeders that much, since the flowers gave them betterfood to eat.
  • Options
    raisindot:
    jd50ae:

Posting a bit late on this, but you're lucky you get the butterflies. Monarchs have all but disappeared up here in MA. Up until two years ago, we'd get a whole bunch on our hummingbird/butterfly garden but for the last two years we have seen a single one. Theory is is that people clearing off all the milkweed from land is removing their egg-laying options. I think they just hate winter.

Hummingbirds will come back if you plant flowers that attract them. It took me four years to get a hummingbird garden that attracted them, but I had at least 2-3 nearly all summer. Got some incredible footage of the little buggers. They love stuff like Bee Balm, Butterfly bushes, Sweet William, Salvia, Phlox, and Foxglove, especially red and pink varieties. They didn't go to my feeders that much, since the flowers gave them betterfood to eat.
    We have a patch of milkweed that we let grow every year. I weedeat around it. About five or six years ago in Oct Lucy and I were kayaking on Lake James, a large man made impoundment with 150 miles of shoreline. I looked up and saw two Monarchs and according to my compass they were heading SSW. We stayed in one spot and counted single, doubles and triples of Monarchs and lost count at around 120 they kept coming.. We called the ranger and he said that the lake was on a migration route. I will always remember that day, sitting in our kayaks and counting butterflys, great way to spend the afternoon.