Home Non Cigar Related

Surgery...

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the second time this summer. Gallbladder this time. Should all be fine after it tonmorow this afternoon. Anyone have this done and do you have any suggestions? Or has life been affected since the surgery and healing process?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    That's a bummer Mark. Sorry to hear! I have not had this done, but in my line of work I have encountered several who have. Recoveries and consequences vary greatly. Some people can go back to eating bacon double cheeseburgers with no problem (or so they say) and others have had to drastically alter their diet. The gallbladder is essential for digesting fats so go easy on it initially and reintroduce them (fats) slowly. That's my best advice. Good luck!
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear Mark. Prayers that all goes well.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with your surgery, I'm sure it will be fine. My mother had it preformed and she does have trouble eating more then a few ounce of meat or too much greasy food. I have heard that people have these problems in varying degrees, so hopefully it won't affect you too much.
  • FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Best wish's. My wife had this done five or six years ago and I remember it didn't really help what they were wanting it to do but for the most part she is doing well and no major issues with it (I think...I'll have to ask her about it, yes I am a horrible husband)
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you a speedy recovery, I'll keep you in mind.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife had it done and recovered fairly quick! But, does have issue with red meat and fats on occasion. Good luck man, I'm sure you'll bounce back quick.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers for you buddy.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Sending Happy thoughts your way for a speedy recovery
    Both the wife and I have had our gallbladder's removed several years ago (3years apart), she came out of it great with no noticeable problems afterwards, I on the other hand have had some trouble, used to be able to eat anything I wanted, ever since the surgery its like having IBS now, can barely eat anything with fat/grease involved and have also gained severe acid reflux, from the surgery ??? - just know I never had that kind of trouble until right after the removal - like within days, and any acidic foods like spaghetti/pizza I still eat but know I will pay for it, also fast food is just totally avoided now (not a bad thing I guess lol)
    Also Her mom and her younger sister have had it done also with similar problems to mine, but 1 of my brothers and a family friend that went through it are just like my wife - no trouble at all
    So... Just luck of the draw I guess

On a side note I do remember the Doc explaining to me that because I didn't eat meals regularly (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) that the gallbladder was not able to (send out the solution it creates) normally to help with the natural digestion process and was made to store it waiting for me to have a meal (many years with a large dinner only - never ate breakfast or lunch just coffee all day) and thats what caused it to deteriorate inside me
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all. Hoping that it is the best case with the eating habits afterwords. I see what my wife goes through IBS that she has had since our son has been born and that is not fun to watch much less go through. Guess we shall see. As long as it does not affect my ability to smoke god cigars and enjoy a cocktail from time to time all is not lost. On the bright side surgery is not until 1245 so I get to have my coffee up until 6am. Let's get it on!

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These days they whip them out quick and easy. You'll be up and kicking by the weekend. Yellow stones in a jar.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I had my gallbladder removed just 3 weeks ago today. Had the removal done laparoscopically so recovery time is a week and was released to my normal activities. As far as eating, I am currently still finding out what I can handle. So far I am now sensitive to butter, spicy foods like salsa & peppers and anything greasy. I just take some antacid to clear it up after the heartburn starts
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    These days they whip them out quick and easy. You'll be up and kicking by the weekend. Yellow stones in a jar.

Here's a shot of mine:

photo 80EE8F53-B1EC-42BF-8DCE-757560A06873_1.jpg I had only the one and it wasn't yellow, as you can see. It was inside my gall bladder and too big to get out. If you know how the gall bladder works you can imagine some of the fun times (but not when it was happening) that occurred when it acted up. Ya needed to be within a few steps of a bathroom.... LoL. ??
    jlmarta:
    webmost:

Here's a shot of mine:

photo 80EE8F53-B1EC-42BF-8DCE-757560A06873_1.jpg I had only the one and it wasn't yellow, as you can see. It was inside my gall bladder and too big to get out. If you know how the gall bladder works you can imagine some of the fun times (but not when it was happening) that occurred when it acted up. Ya needed to be within a few steps of a bathroom.... LoL. ??
    Jeez, don't scare the guy.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought a little humor might lighten the mood..... LOL
    It's all good. See ya on the flip side.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the surgery. I had the appendix out 2 years ago. That was about a week to be back to 100%.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Home and all is well. Still out of it.

matkn293:
    Home and all is well. Still out of it.
    There ya go. They are so good and so quick at this stuff these days. Couple days rest and you'll be up kicking the cat before you know it.

Hope you're feeling better man!!
    Not too bad. A little pain and soreness. Bad thing was the call from the surgeon saying that 2 small stones were missed in my bile duct. Therefore upper endoscopy to remove those next week. FML!

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Well, I guess that's better than getting a call saying they removed the wrong thing like a kidney or something. Good luck with the endoscopy
    matkn293:
    Not too bad. A little pain and soreness. Bad thing was the call from the surgeon saying that 2 small stones were missed in my bile duct. Therefore upper endoscopy to remove those next week. FML!
    Damn that sucks... Sorry to hear that
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Yeah me too. Sorry to hear that. Hang in there!
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
    blutattoo:
    Well, I guess that's better than getting a call saying they removed the wrong thing like a kidney or something. Good luck with the endoscopy
    This is true Grasshopper. Trying to look on the bright side. Hard too when I am so busy at work and now I will be out for another day and a half. Just want to get all of this over with.

• UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Hope you feel better soon Mark!