Home General Discussion
Options

I need a recommendation

ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
Hey every one. I have a buddy I'm going to visit in my home town if topeka this weekend. He wants to try his first cigar. I know it should be something mild like an AVO or maybe a AF Hemingway. He is going to be picking up a single malt ( something from glenmorangie) any recommendations on a good first cigar for me to pick up for him? That will pair well with the scotch(I don't drink alot of scotch so not sure on the profile. I want him to have a good experience and get him into the hobby, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Hey brother, I'm relatively new here but I'd like to throw my 2 cents at you. First of all, I am a Hemmingway **** and I absolutely think that is a great first cigar: maybe the best. Get him the Classic (7 x 48), it's the perfect size for the blend. But, I am worried the Glenmorangie might wash out some of its regal mildness.

In my experience, maduros go best with scotch: especially single malt. The real science of the pairing comes down to (I believe) the fermentation that goes on with each and how they "work" together.

The best thing you could buy in this situation is a natural Padron 1964 Anniversary. Totally class A smoke, and very medium in body with all the flavor of a maduro. There is nothing too strong in this smoke at all in spite of its dark look. Go for the Superior size or corona and you won't be disappointed. This is also a very visually attractive smoke, so your buddy will think you know your stuff! Let us know how it goes.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Hey brother, I'm relatively new here but I'd like to throw my 2 cents at you. First of all, I am a Hemmingway **** and I absolutely think that is a great first cigar: maybe the best. Get him the Classic (7 x 48), it's the perfect size for the blend. But, I am worried the Glenmorangie might wash out some of its regal mildness.

In my experience, maduros go best with scotch: especially single malt. The real science of the pairing comes down to (I believe) the fermentation that goes on with each and how they "work" together.

The best thing you could buy in this situation is a natural Padron 1964 Anniversary. Totally class A smoke, and very medium in body with all the flavor of a maduro. There is nothing too strong in this smoke at all in spite of its dark look. Go for the Superior size or corona and you won't be disappointed. This is also a very visually attractive smoke, so your buddy will think you know your stuff! Let us know how it goes.
    I agree, even though mild is usually a good suggestion for beginners scotch will totally overpower most mild sticks like an Avo. It'd feel like smoking air after a few sips! Padron 64 is a great suggestion. I don't think that'd disappoint anyone, and it'll go great with a drink.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I would definitely second the recommendation above (or third as the case may be). More important than body and vitamin N content is that your friend approaches the situation properly. If they're a non-smoker, make sure they eat a good meal before hand. Carbs (especially fast-digesting carbs) are great after a potent nic-hit, but slow digesting proteins and fats before a good smoke will help prevent any nic-sickness. I would also advise against too much scotch before smoking. Eat well, keep it sober, light a good cigar accompanied by some good scotch and a soda to accompany it and all should go well.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Imgembo:
    Hey every one. I have a buddy I'm going to visit in my home town if topeka this weekend. He wants to try his first cigar. I know it should be something mild like an AVO or maybe a AF Hemingway. He is going to be picking up a single malt ( something from glenmorangie) any recommendations on a good first cigar for me to pick up for him? That will pair well with the scotch(I don't drink alot of scotch so not sure on the profile. I want him to have a good experience and get him into the hobby, thanks!
    Topeka! That's an hour from me! Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the 1964 seems to make everyone happy but me.

Maduro may be a good idea for profile but 1964 prices ona new guy? what if he hates it? waste?

5 vegas A may be a good option.
    J. Fuego Origen Maduro
    oliva G maguro

all solid sticks and wont break the bank and if they dont like it... who cares?
  • Options
    jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the 1964 seems to make everyone happy but me.

Maduro may be a good idea for profile but 1964 prices ona new guy? what if he hates it? waste?

5 vegas A may be a good option.
    J. Fuego Origen Maduro
    oliva G maguro

all solid sticks and wont break the bank and if they dont like it... who cares?
    I had my first j Fuego Origen today. Solid stick and that gets my vote.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My first cigar was a 64 maddy. Start him out right on a real cigar.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a scotch ****. Each Glenmorangie has a very distinct profile. And will definately over power a mild stick. It doesn't need to be a full body but you will want a medium. I'd go with a Padron 3000. Not real pricey but a great stick.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Imgembo:
    Topeka! That's an hour from me! Where are you located, if you don't mind me asking?!
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I am leaning towards the pardons (seems to be the Consensus). Newboots I am currently located in Little Rock, Arkansas.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pardon me while I become a real pain-in-the-ass and point out a minor discrepancy evolving in this thread. "Young guy" ;) recommended the 1964 natural. Not the maduro. After a few posts the term natural got lost and then it appears there was an assumption that the maduro was the cigar being discussed. Seems like the Padron 1964 Maduro is the one people think of first when wrapper is not specifically mentioned so I'm not surprised that the conversation morphed to the Maduro but,.............OK, I've wasted enough of your time. As you were.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Pardon me while I become a real pain-in-the-ass and point out a minor discrepancy evolving in this thread. "Young guy" ;) recommended the 1964 natural. Not the maduro. After a few posts the term natural was dropped and then it appears there was an assumption that the maduro was the cigar being discussed. Seems like the Padron 1964 Maduro is the one people think of first when wrapper is not specifically mentioned so I'm not surprised that the conversation morphed to the Maduro but,.............OK, I've wasted enough of your time. As you were.
    Look at that eye for detail. I think i will take the recommendations to the local B&M and talk it over with the owner =). I like the idea of getting him a super premium but I also kind of agree with Kuzi's point.
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Like most I say go with the Padron 64, full flavored but not over powering. I still think it's my favorite smoke. Every few months I have one and think damn this is a good smoke why don't I have any in my humidor. A great introduction to cigars and it seems to hit a sweet spot for most folks.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Give him a punisher, and watch his face light up!!
    seriously, I think the pardon is a great choice
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Pardon me while I become a real pain-in-the-ass and point out a minor discrepancy evolving in this thread. "Young guy" ;) recommended the 1964 natural. Not the maduro. After a few posts the term natural got lost and then it appears there was an assumption that the maduro was the cigar being discussed. Seems like the Padron 1964 Maduro is the one people think of first when wrapper is not specifically mentioned so I'm not surprised that the conversation morphed to the Maduro but,.............OK, I've wasted enough of your time. As you were.
    That's an important distinction brother. As far at the Padron '64's go, I actually prefer the natural.

I usually drink an unsweetened white, loose-leaf tea or water with my cigars, but the last natural 64 I paired with a heaping, ice-cold glass of chocolate whole milk. It's a sweet desert after a nice meal.

Mr. Luken, at first I thought you wrote "Padron me" hahaha. Puns are neat.

ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:

Mr. Luken, at first I thought you wrote "Padron me" hahaha. Puns are neat.

I KNOW! LOL It did occur to me but, much too late. I was kicking myself for not thinking of it before I posted it.