Home Cigar 101

Your noob mistakes

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I thought Padron and My Father were a cigar called "Pardon My Father"

Comments

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say inhaling the first time I smoked a cigar. I'm sure it also didn't help I used a BIC lighter. In fact, I probably did a whole bunch of noob things...
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Not knowing that puffing cigars needs to be done slowly. I got a huge nicotine rush and pretty much thought I was going to die. When I woke up I was covered in sweat.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    I lit and smoked a cigar on the wrong end twice. Noah laughed his ass off.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought AVO was pronounced Ae Vee Oh like CAO. There's still a lot of them that I can't pronounce correctly. But it's ok, I'm still a noob.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    I lit and smoked a cigar on the wrong end twice. Noah laughed his ass off.
    Picture or it did not happen.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Not knowing that puffing cigars needs to be done slowly. I got a huge nicotine rush and pretty much thought I was going to die. When I woke up I was covered in sweat.
    I did the same thing too. I didn't pass out, but I felt like I was going to die.
  • UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    You want a picture of me smoking a cigar wrong? Will never happen again :) I never make the same mistake.... Uh, 3 times.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I smoked a Undercrown churchill and followed it right away with a LFD Double L. - Death was all around me! I escaped it, but it was close. Talk about nico overload!

I was also the king of the BIC lighters, I also used to try to smoke a cigar like it was a cigarette. I'm sure I could keep going, but there may be a text limit here.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Having the Ruination as my second handmade smoke ever.
  • Had no idea a humidor was a requirement. I just kept them in my desk drawer.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    1st time I bought a cigar to take home for later and not smoke at the b&m, I lit it and about 30 minutes into it I had to stop and go take care of stuff, didn't want to waste it so I put it out and stuffed it in the baggie it came in, then the next day remembered it, lit it back up, and almost threw up
    Could not believe how horrible it tasted
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    ArmyS1Guy:
    Had no idea a humidor was a requirement. I just kept them in my desk drawer.
    Bwahaha, I did this too.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    1st humi was way too small, second turned out to be too small too.
    The3Stogies:
    That has got to be the most common one. I guess its hard to imagine going from "Let me try them out" to "I need to have them all." My cabinet humidor arrives in 10 days. I have 2 200ct humis, 3 50ct, a 25ct, a tupperdor, and a 150qt coolidor.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fell for the hype that is Gurkha, ordered the 20 ct humi sampler and a couple of other Gurkha samplers as well, thought I was getting a deal kinda freaked out and thought I was doing something wrong because several cracked and a couple actually blew up IN the Humidor.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ordered from a crappy company that starts a T.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Thinking the box Macanudo's come in would keep them good in my drawer. Then waiting a couple months before smoking one. Then wondering if maybe their quality went downhill. And continuing to smoke them every month or so hoping I'd find a good one. Oh, and smoking one after I smoked a bunch of something else and...nearly smoking it backwards about halfway through...nearly, because I didn't actually draw...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    The3Stogies:
    That has got to be the most common one. I guess its hard to imagine going from "Let me try them out" to "I need to have them all." My cabinet humidor arrives in 10 days. I have 2 200ct humis, 3 50ct, a 25ct, a tupperdor, and a 150qt coolidor.
    Didn't you just start smoking cigars two months ago, Mike? LoL
    ^^^ lol. exactly. but obviously the cabinet humidor is going to replace a lot of the other storage containers I have. I'll probably get rid of the tupperdor and all the small humis.
    And by "get rid of" I mean most likely giving them away to anyone here who could use one.
    Chemnitz:
    AshMe:
    The3Stogies:
    Didn't you just start smoking cigars two months ago, Mike? LoL
    Yeah, I hate this phrase but,.........you're like a noob on steroids. At this rate you need to start looking around the house for a room to convert to a walk-in.
    No no. I can't convince my wife of THAT. We just had a baby. She doesn't love me THAT much. Ummm..sooo.....thats why I thought about gutting a one bedroom apartment and making a lounge with a wall to wall humidor - and a bar.
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I thought AVO was pronounced A Vee Oh like CAO. There's still a lot of them that I can't pronounce correctly. But it's ok, I'm still a noob.
    Ok, that's how I've been pronouncing it. What is the correct way?

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    Its the guys name. Avo Uvezian. Not an acronym. Pronounced, "Ah Voh" in a spanish accent
    AshMe:
    No no. I can't convince my wife of THAT. We just had a baby. She doesn't love me THAT much. Ummm..sooo.....thats why I thought about gutting a one bedroom apartment and making a lounge with a wall to wall humidor - and a bar.
    I've always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.
    I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?
    Won't you be my neighbor?
    Won't you please,
    Won't you please?
    Please won't you be my neighbor?

• jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Its the guys name. Avo Uvezian. Not an acronym. Pronounced, "Ah Voh" in a spanish accent
    Ahh... That makes sense.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
    jbohon:
    AshMe:
    Ahh... That makes sense.
    Spanish accent or not, I found out he (Avo) is a Lebanese born Armenian .

And CAO is the initials of Cano A. Ozgener. He's Armenian, but born in Turkey and has a very interesting success story. Both men have very interesting life/business stories. .
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Buying by the way the label looks.

Aj
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest regret is buying too much of what I don't like anymore! Most have gone to the troops and I have a good sized container filled with give to guys that dont know cigars stash. I've learned be patient don't jump on a wagon give it a few tries before you buy a box or two!
    Money can't buy taste
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Buying by the way the label looks.

Aj

Ah man.....really....gosh darn it. Well we all know that is true....but some times I just can't help myself.