Home General Discussion
Options

What's your technique?

Hey guys. So I spent my first month as a noob reading the dos and donts of cigar smoking, and the etiquette post, and the "developing your palette" post, and I was wondering if people really do things "by the book" to fully enjoy their cigars. I'll be honest, I can't retro-hale every single puff (it all tastes the same for me anyway, anise and eggs), and I haven't been able to force myself to "hold the smoke in my mouth" as its suggested for every single puff either (all I taste is plastic and anise). I find myself enjoying the aroma (sniffing the smoke that comes off the burning end and what I blow out my mouth) more than the retro-hale or mouth hold. Thats when I can really pick up the different scents/flavors like cocoa, burnt match, earth, manure, and the enjoyable tobacco smell. So, am I selling myself short? Can I expect things to get better if I keep retro-haling and holding the smoke in my mouth? I'm wondering what you guys do. Please share. Also, if you have any tips on how to use a paired drink to help your enjoyment, please include that also. Thanks. (P.S. sorry that my post is in block format, I can't figure out how to start a new paragraph. Hitting "enter" doesn't work.)
"Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 

Comments

• Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Typing "" will provide a line break. If you search formatting, a thread about formatting will come up. I think Ken wrote it, but don't quote me on who posted it.
    Retro-hale, mouth hold, etc It is your hobby, do whatever you find enjoyable. Most people will pick up more subtle flavor differences when retrohaling, but even so not many retro-hale every puff. I personally am not a big retro-haler ever since the lunchroom milk incident of 73.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new guy keep doing what you're doing. Make this hobby enjoyable for you right now, don't worry about anyone else. Keeping trying to do the things you want to do, if you want to retrohale keep trying on occasion, I myself enjoy cigars but rarely retrohale, in my experience I'm not missing much; however, I do have a goat's palate. This is about YOU and YOUR hobby so do what makes YOU happy. Keep learning and keep trying the things that interest you, if they work for you threw great, if they don't, well then they don't.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to put in breaks to get a new line. Put a "br" inside <> wherever you want a return. There is a thread about formatting somewhere

I am not big into by the book methods either. I am careful in the way I store, cut, and light the cigar. As far as smoking, depends on the cigar and my mood. Sometimes I retrohale if I really like the cigar, sometimes I smoke quick, sometimes slow. I am more into enjoying the cigar and relaxation than trying to pick out flavors, smells, and tastes.
    I am sure I didn't enjoy certain cigars due to what I ate or drank or how I smoked it, but there are a lot of cigars out there that I love so I am not against tossing one that I don't.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to always retro hale but mostly from force of habit. Like bandy says do what you enjoy! If everyone played by the book we would discover nothing new!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Everybody smokes their cigars a bit differently and that's normal...it's all about developing your own style while incorporating new ideas. Retro haling is not meant to be used all the time...holding in your smoke is personal and there is no set time limit as much as what is comfortable. I tend to hold it a few seconds and then release it gradually and save the last 25% of the smoke to blow it out with a retro hale about every dozen puffs or so.

As far as starting a new paragraph...like the other brother said...you put breaks after the end of the sentence.

• Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    One thing I saw in a explination video once I realized I wasn't doing, as you puff on the cigar, breath in through your nose.

I was afraid of "inhaling" at first but you don't when you do this. This just like when eating this helps your taste buds work. Kind of like when you have a stuffed nose or as a kid you plugged your nose to eat your green beans so you wouldn't taste it as much. Breathing in through your nose during a puff helps me taste more of the cigar and I don't get a lung full of smoke doing it.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Iv been at this hobby for over 3 years now and even though I might go two months without a cigar, I just light and puff. If I "like" it, ill stay with it. Sometimes I only get tobacco or leather, sometimes less than that.
    I like my hobby and the relaxation time more than that. Im not a by the book guy and break out of the norm a lot. Do what you like.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I tend to hold it a few seconds and then release it gradually and save the last 25% of the smoke to blow it out with a retro hale about every dozen puffs or so.

My technique is pretty similar to this
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My technique is to enjoy the cigar I'm smoking. sometimes I hold it sometimes i retro-hale but usually its just smoke away and relax with what I have in hand.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FireRob:
    One thing I saw in a explination video once I realized I wasn't doing, as you puff on the cigar, breath in through your nose.

I was afraid of "inhaling" at first but you don't when you do this. This just like when eating this helps your taste buds work. Kind of like when you have a stuffed nose or as a kid you plugged your nose to eat your green beans so you wouldn't taste it as much. Breathing in through your nose during a puff helps me taste more of the cigar and I don't get a lung full of smoke doing it.
    After 6 years of smoking I dont think I have ever done this (or at least thought about it and did it on purpose). Always learn something new.

I usually take a double puff to draw. One quick, one long. I dont hold smoke in my mouth as much as just do a slow exhale. I switch between exhaling through my mouth and nose, maybe the last 10% of the exhale is through the nose unless the cigar is really smooth. In my opinion, the retro is when you can really appreciate an aged cigar. They are super smooth through the nose.

But really just do what works for you. If you can retrohale a little at the end of an exhale and it brings more flavors (besides eggs, gross ) out then go for it. Or you may prefer not to. It kind of takes practice and just trying different things to see what you enjoy.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    if its a good cigar, I find myself just about smokeing it like a cigarette.... i will inhale on a tasty smoke, simply because it so rare to have a a cigar that damn good to not choke slam you on an inhale.

regular stick, same way you guys all do it.

Aj
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My technique? Well, first I slide my hand down....wait that's not what you're talking about is it???
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."