Home Cigar 101

Do you need to put a New Box of Cigars in a Humidor?

3puffs3puffs Posts: 2
I was wondering if you purchase a new box of cigars and the wooden box of cigars is still wrapped in plastic how long do you have before you have to put those cigars in a humidor? Or can you leave them in the box for a while as long as you do not take off the wrapper and open the box?

I know that the original box is not a humidor but are they made to keep the cigars for a certain period of time?

ACID Cigar box for example..they seem made well and are usually packed good...

Thanks,..

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    3puffs:
    I was wondering if you purchase a new box of cigars and the wooden box of cigars is still wrapped in plastic how long do you have before you have to put those cigars in a humidor? Or can you leave them in the box for a while as long as you do not take off the wrapper and open the box?

I know that the original box is not a humidor but are they made to keep the cigars for a certain period of time?

ACID Cigar box for example..they seem made well and are usually packed good...

Thanks,..
    Yes. But if it IS an ACID box, don't put it in with a humidor containing non-infused cigars. If you need temporary storage for the box, get one of those gallon ziplocks and a Boveda pack. That'll keep it nice for a bit. But you DO need humidification.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's wrapped well in plastic... about a week. If you're wanting to buy as a gift, when you get the box, put it in a ziplock bag with a boveada humidity pack or humi pillow. That will keep for a while. Otherwise, into a humidor. That shrinkwrap plastic isn't airtight and usually isn't a great seal.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. You don't see that too often. 3puffs joined in 2009 but first post is in 2014. Welcome :)
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Interesting. You don't see that too often. 3puffs joined in 2009 but first post is in 2014. Welcome :)

Right Bob, yes welcome indeed 3puffs. Or is welcome the right words, been here longer than most of us, lol. The wise owl says nothing, just observes.
  • 3puffs3puffs Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the responses...I will try to keep them fresh...Although it seems like I go on these spurts of buying more cigars than I need(or can smoke) sometimes when i'm running low, luckily cigars have a long shelf life if kept well. Then next thing you know you have three or four boxes being shipped that won't all fit in your little 200 count humidor. Which I don't know why they call it a 200 count you can't fit 200 in there unless there jammed packed on top of each other.

Thanks
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    3puffs:
    I don't know why they call it a 200 count you can't fit 200 in there unless there jammed packed on top of each other.
    it is because the size is based off of classic Cuban cigar sizes where the average ring is in the lower 40s.
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    So, the consensus is that new boxes of cigars should go in the humidor or plastic bag with a boveda. But, is it realistic to expect that enough humidity will seep though the .5mm opening where the lid meets the box? Enough to keep the cigars happy? Especially when dealing with cigar boxes like 5 Vegas that have cigars way down at the bottom (see picture below)? I'm skeptical. image
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I understand why you might be skeptical. And yes the ones at the bottom might be the last to know if things start to dry out but remember, these cigars have been in an ideal RH controlled warehouse for a long time before they ship and the sticks at the bottom are fine. What we are concerned with is maintaining those ideal conditions. You don't need to add humidity to every stick. You only need to maintain humidity outside the box and things will remainthe same. I hope I'm making sense here. How am I doin' guys?
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    I'm skeptical.
    If you are truly skeptical, aren't you concerned that they are already dried out? The reality is that the environment in the box will (eventually) match the environment outside the box. The box itself will absorb moisture inside and out. The box will not block the transmission of humidity effectively at all. You want that box in a humidified environment!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If cigar boxes were made as good as humidors the price of cigars would be outrageous!
    Money can't buy taste
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If cigar boxes were made as good as humidors the price of cigars would be outrageous!
    Does that mean you agree with SleevePlz? I'm not sure if you're advocating using the box or not.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Does that mean you agree with SleevePlz? I'm not sure if you're advocating using the box or not.
    all boxes go in the cooler! Back when I first started I messed around with just trying to keep a box humidified...it can be done but you will have to go through a ton of trouble just to get the rh from fluctuating. If you don't believe it then take a hygro put it in the box and see where the rh stays...in a few days it will be the same as the room
    Money can't buy taste