Home General Discussion
Options

I know this has been asked before...

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
....and I probably was one that asked. But doing a search withe the word "cello" in it, is a daunting read.

How long can you safely keep cigars in the original UN-opened cello wrapped cigar box they came in?

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of a cooler or humidor? I dunno,......not long. If possible can you get it inside a gallon ziplock? Or somehow seal it up tightly with plastic and tape using a garbage bag or other plastic sheeting? If you could do that it might be fine for a week IMHO.
  • Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Yeah. I haven't really read much on that. I think the answer to this questions depends on your expectations and your definition of "safely".

If your idea of "safely" is having them ready to smoke straight out of the box, I would say a week.

If your idea of "safely" is having them survive relatively undamaged in the box so that a proper rehydration in a humidor will revive them - then I would say 3 months.

Its just that there are a lot of factors that would affect the longevity - such as the average ambient temperature they were stored in, how much the temperatures fluctuated, the ambient humidity of the city you live in, etc. You might open a box after week or two in hot temperatures to find the cigars infested with bugs or cracked wrappers. So, it all depends on outside factors too.

Anyone else have thoughts?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Outside of a cooler or humidor? I dunno,......not long. If possible can you get it inside a gallon ziplock? Or somehow seal it up tightly with plastic and tape using a garbage bag or other plastic sheeting? If you could do that it might be fine for a week IMHO.

Ok, so I moved them to my rotation humidor sans cello and I have stopped worrying. They have been sitting in my desk drawer for at least three weeks and they appear to be in perfect condition. In fact they looked and smelled so good I was forced to light one up. They are 1844 Anejado No. 52 and so far it is a very nice smoke.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    You are referring to the plastic wrap on the outside of an unopened box correct? If so, it doesn't tend to breathe as well as the cellophane that comes on each individual cigar. I believe it is similar to the plastic that comes on a 5 pack and can slow the rate of humidity loss/gain. From what I understand, this can slow the process of aging regardless of the environment in which your cigars are kept. As for how long an unopened box would retain its humidity outside of a humidor/cooler/something sealed... I do not know and it depends on what humidity you prefer to smoke your cigars at.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if a box is wrapped in plastic and there is ZERO breaks or imperfections in the plastic i would not let them out of a humidor for more than a week or two. i dont really trust the plastic. of course, there are plenty of threads talking about how to bring a cigar back to life once dry, the ideal situation is to not have to do this. i tend to err on the side of caution and get them in a humidor ASAP.

i guess what i am trying to say is, dont tempt fates.

• Options
    ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    You are referring to the plastic wrap on the outside of an unopened box correct? If so, it doesn't tend to breathe as well as the cellophane that comes on each individual cigar. I believe it is similar to the plastic that comes on a 5 pack and can slow the rate of humidity loss/gain. From what I understand, this can slow the process of aging regardless of the environment in which your cigars are kept. As for how long an unopened box would retain its humidity outside of a humidor/cooler/something sealed... I do not know and it depends on what humidity you prefer to smoke your cigars at.
    So when I buy a new box of cigars that comes wrapped in plastic, should I remove the plastic before throwing the box in my coolador? I thought I read somewhere to just leave it on and that's what I've done with some of them.

• Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    pelirrojo:
    So when I buy a new box of cigars that comes wrapped in plastic, should I remove the plastic before throwing the box in my coolador? I thought I read somewhere to just leave it on and that's what I've done with some of them.

Bump, to hear others thoughts on Chemnitz's question
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    The idea is to keep your cigars in an environment where they thrive and while one can safely keep their boxes in a state of not being opened you deprive them from what they need to rest/age properly. If your looking to just keep them safe then I would suggest a 65%/70 degree environment and store them as long as you want. If you are looking to keep them at their best then this is what I do: 1. Cut the ends of the cello that way you are protecting them yet giving them a chance to be properly humidified as well. The humidor will do it's job of keeping your cigars where you want them. 2. Cello is always a debate but you can always stay on the safe side by using the cello as it was intended for but at the same time let the cigars rest in the best environment possible. Storage is really important and while some will store their cigars as low as in the high 50's RH I think they are missing the value of losing essential oils from the cigar at that percentage. The oils in the cigar tend to thrive in a percentage of 65 - 70% and IMO we want our cigars to be given the best possible advantage as far as taste profile.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:

Honestly, don't think it matters. I recently bought a box of cigars that was still in the sealed plastic wrap that was 10 years old. The cigars were perfect.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Chemnitz:

Honestly, don't think it matters. I recently bought a box of cigars that was still in the sealed plastic wrap that was 10 years old. The cigars were perfect.
    That is what I figured.

I by no means have any highly collectable boxes of anything but I know many people who keep factory sealed box’s and will not remove the factory plastic wrap until they plan on smoking them.