Home General Discussion

Hobby Conundrum

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
I don't have all that many cigars, but I have more than I can easily store thanks to some of the bums that hang around here. I'm looking at coolers, but don't want to go too small. Or too large for that matter, although I suspect I can find a way to take care of that problem. I don't want to have to maintain a lot of smaller sized storage like I do now, but there's no way I could fill a 100 quart right now.

The real problem is that my other hobby is demanding cash, too. I'm expanding my collection of disc golf discs and would really like to buy a couple more and expand to a new bag, but they get kind of expensive once you go beyond 10 disc capacity or so.

So, what's the best way to spend my money? Discs or gars? Say my budget is $150 and that has to include the kl/beads, everything I need to set-up the cooler along with any stuff for that other hobby I decide to buy. How would you spend?

A couple of coolers I'm looking at are:

Smaller
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-33-Quart-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMCORC/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1405947867&sr=1-2&keywords=stacking+cooler

Larger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000F6UJ6E

These seem to be about the best prices I've seen, too. Let me know your thoughts.
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a cooler at Wal-Mart for 39.00. I then got kitty litter beads for $9.99 at the same time. $55 total leaves you with $95.00 for stogies!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $44.14 @ walmart will get it done. $39.97 cooler. $4.17 cat litter.

(Not counting hygrometer but walmart even has a few of those weather stations that would be OK)

My go-to coolers are the Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler available at walmart for $39.97. IMHO They are large enough to get plenty of cigars in there but small enough for me to easily move around by myself. It's got the heavy duty insulation built in so temps are more stable than with a standard cooler. Even the lid is heavy duty. It's insulated too and there's no give or flex if you sit on it. And walmart has Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter if you need it. (I prefer larger grain ExquisiCat Crystals but I have used mimi and it's odor free)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/23795246

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mimi-Litter-Cat-Litter-4-lb-Cats/12018928
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys! The Coleman 70-quart is even in stock at my local walmart, along with the Mimi. For looks, I was considering the Coleman Steel-belted, but that's my entire budget and it's not that big! I might look for the Exquisicat around here, instead. I appreciate the advice. My wife is finding old boxes for me so I can get some cedar in there. My local B&M charges way too much for empties. I'm hoping I can talk them into some sheets for cheap.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Frisbee golf? I thought it was just for hippies. Or was it hipsters? I dunno. Weirdos?
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say go with the bigger one since it's only 2 discs $$ more....

If you can hold out for another month or so I'd bet lots of stores will have good deals on coolers around labor day.
    Martel:
    The real problem is that my other hobby is demanding cash, too. I'm expanding my collection of disc golf discs and would really like to buy a couple more and expand to a new bag, but they get kind of expensive once you go beyond 10 disc capacity or so.
    No ****. I can't figure out why those bags are so much freakin' $$$$.

I've been contemplating a "DIY" backpack solution like this one CLICK. Cheap backpack from the store and a simple "frame" with off-the-shelf pvc parts.

Might be something to consider if you're trying to stretch your dollars.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    How many sticks are you trying to store in the cooler? What do you think will be your max out number? Obviously, bigger is better, but you don't want a lot of empty space either.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They fill up quick when you start putting boxes or bins in them. Definitely the way to go though. My cooler stays right at 65 RH while my humi's fluctuate like crazy between the seasons.

BTW. Finally had to wikipedia disc golf. Avid golfer but have never seen disc golf around here.
    Bob Luken:
    Frisbee golf? I thought it was just for hippies. Or was it hipsters? I dunno. Weirdos?
    I'm too young to be a hippie and too old to be a hipster. All I know is it's fun and great guy time. My 10 YO kid loves going out with me and so do a couple of buddies. Never met someone with a real attitude on the course either. Nothing like I met when I paid money to golf. Everyone is laid back and all who've commented have been excited and encouraging about the kid being with me when he's there. Plus it's cheap.

jgibv:
    I'd say go with the bigger one since it's only 2 discs $$ more....

If you can hold out for another month or so I'd bet lots of stores will have good deals on coolers around labor day.
    Martel:
    No ****. I can't figure out why those bags are so much freakin' $$$$.

I've been contemplating a "DIY" backpack solution like this one CLICK. Cheap backpack from the store and a simple "frame" with off-the-shelf pvc parts.

Might be something to consider if you're trying to stretch your dollars.....

I've seen that pack; last year while school shopping for the kids. Hmmm. It was a really wide mouth and would probably work, even without the frame. I might do that.

My current bag is maxed unless my son plays with me and uses my floating disc and second putter.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Happens too me all the time!! I think the first year I really got into cigar collecting I must have spent $15,000 between fishing and cigars
    Money can't buy taste
    SleevePlz:
    How many sticks are you trying to store in the cooler? What do you think will be your max out number? Obviously, bigger is better, but you don't want a lot of empty space either.
    My current collection is sitting at 87. It's about the lowest I've been in a long time, but I've never been over 150. I'd like to have more, of course. Right now, I've got four decent size empty boxes to take up some space. Mostly I've limited myself from getting bigger because of my storage situation, though.

Lee.mcglynn:
    Happens too me all the time!! I think the first year I really got into cigar collecting I must have spent $15,000 between fishing and cigars
    Wow!!!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup it was bad!! Still paying for that year lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Damn! That's a lot of gars and lures!
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    I'm too young to be a hippie and too old to be a hipster. All I know is it's fun and great guy time. My 10 YO kid loves going out with me and so do a couple of buddies. Never met someone with a real attitude on the course either. Nothing like I met when I paid money to golf. Everyone is laid back and all who've commented have been excited and encouraging about the kid being with me when he's there. Plus it's cheap.
    I'm just messin with ya. I played frisbee golf back when I was still in high school. They carved out a course and put in the regulation baskets with the hanging chains at one of the local parks where I grew up. But this was back before they came up with specialized discs. We did the whole course with one fairly standard frisbee.
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    I'm just messin with ya. I played frisbee golf back when I was still in high school. They carved out a course and put in the regulation baskets with the hanging chains at one of the local parks where I grew up. But this was back before they came up with specialized discs. We did the whole course with one fairly standard frisbee.

We played in elementary school gym class, but you just had to hit a tree on a certain side or a specific square of bricks on a wall or some such. No baskets. Playground frisbee-not even an ultimate disc. I still can't get those things to fly more than 10 feet and go where I want.

Martel:
    Bob Luken:
    Martel:
    Bob Luken:

We played in elementary school gym class, but you just had to hit a tree on a certain side or a specific square of bricks on a wall or some such. No baskets. Playground frisbee-not even an ultimate disc. I still can't get those things to fly more than 10 feet and go where I want.
    Well, I knew things had come a long way for this sport but wow, I just got online and found Sooooo many courses to play on all over the place. I mean they're everywhere! Wow! I need to check it out again. How many discs do I need these days? A backpack and a half? LOL
    And most are free! My kid plays very successfully with two discs. A driver that floats... Innova dragon, and a putter. I use them when he's not with me, but carry five others. Two distance drivers with different flight characteristics and one being a "roller", one balanced fairway driver, a balanced midrange approach disc and another putter. Starter kits with a bag and three to five discs are under fifty bucks.

We should get together and D golf sometime. One of these days I still plan on getting a forum herf organized in Jackson. Maybe we can get in some D golf too.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to make it to that herf. I primarily only use 3 discs my self a nuke SS, Boss and Cannon. I have putters and midranges but with those 3 I can pretty much always put it where I want to.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, reading this really makes me want to get back in this. I used to play all the time. There was a great obstacle course made in the woods at a local park that was fantastic. I still have my old discs. We would go everyday after school and play two rounds. Te good ole days.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Andrew Dzikoski:
    I'd love to make it to that herf. I primarily only use 3 discs my self a nuke SS, Boss and Cannon. I have putters and midranges but with those 3 I can pretty much always put it where I want to.
    nuke ss is my goto driver. Innova archangel is new to me, but I use it as a roller. Avenger ss is my fairway. Buzz is my approach. I've got a few putters.