Home Cigar 101
Options

Winedor question...

matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok. I have had the winedor setup for a little over a week. Currently have 4 empty boxes in there while I wait for my shelves. I have about 1.5 to 2 lbs of esquisicat crystals in it. 2 good size containers of water and I cannot get relative humidity above 55. I have the drain hole plugged up and getting some condensation running down I am wiping out from time to time. The temp is steady around 67. I have been sprinkling the KL (been in there since Tuesday) with a little bit water here and there to try and get it up but it's not moving currently. Any suggestions?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

Comments

• Options
    chrisloldschrislolds Posts: 434 ✭✭
    matkn293:
    Ok. I have had the winedor setup for a little over a week. Currently have 4 empty boxes in there while I wait for my shelves. I have about 1.5 to 2 lbs of esquisicat crystals in it. 2 good size containers of water and I cannot get relative humidity above 55. I have the drain hole plugged up and getting some condensation running down I am wiping out from time to time. The temp is steady around 67. I have been sprinkling the KL (been in there since Tuesday) with a little bit offerer here and there to try and get it up but it's not moving currently. Any suggestions?
    Did you wipe the boxes before putting them in? Maybe they are sucking up the available RH?
  • Options
    I did not wipe them. They were in there with the water for 3 days before the KL.

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    what you using for circulation? a wine cooler is not like a cedar box, does not absorb water, thats why you add the trays or shelves that are,
    once you get more cedar the cedar will suck up water and the RH will start rise, right now you have nothing for the water to go to, if you wanting to encurage the water to evap into the air and raise the RH, place a fan blowing accross the water.
  • Options
    Ok, I will wait until after my mid parts come in. I have a digi temp that will use to control the temp more precisely. I also have 2 24v fans and a power supply coming that will be on a timer. Also putting in a magnetic door switch to kill the fans should I open the door while running. There are 5 boxes in there and I opened them up today.

• Options
    Also, the unit is on so there is some circulation from the internal fan.

• Options
    So I decided to try turning off the winedor for a day to see what happens. In a couple hours RH has risen from 55 to 71. I am going to check it tomorrow and see where we are at. It is possible the unit being on was not allowing the wood and KL to charge essentially. Who knows. We shall see.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    So I decided to try turning off the winedor for a day to see what happens. In a couple hours RH has risen from 55 to 71. I am going to check it tomorrow and see where we are at. It is possible the unit being on was not allowing the wood and KL to charge essentially. Who knows. We shall see.
    higher temps is usually lower rh but it is harder to keep higher rh at lower temps. It's confusing but this is why I ziplock all boxes in my winadors
    Money can't buy taste