Home Cigar 101
Options

Cleaning An Ashtray

Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, maybe 2 years ago I bought a cool little ashtray at a flea market. It is a retro glass piece from a local (where we lived in WV) glass factory, Blenko.

After using it for a while and abusing it some, a nasty ash "film" covered the bottom and many hard-to-reach areas. Ash got rained on, then baked in by the sun. You can see here: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After multiple attempts at cleaning with dish soap, soaking, Brillo pads... nothing was getting this stuff off. Not a huge deal, but I really like this ashtray and of course they haven't made them in 40 or so years. I really wanted to clean it back up. Ah ha! Plain old white vinegar... Dissolved that crap right away and I scrubbed it one last time. Good as new. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem (or cares about their ashtray), but I wanted to share. Maybe kind of a "duh" thing as vinegar is a great cleaner and ash is a basic ph (right?) but I hadn't thought of it until today. Don't know if metal or ceramic ashtrays can get as grody as mine or if they are a little tougher.
LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Gray. Never tried vinegar on mine but yours looks brand new
    I've used rubbing alcohol in the past, worked good on my stainless steal stinky jr

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Nice Gray. Never tried vinegar on mine but yours looks brand new
    I've used rubbing alcohol in the past, worked good on my stainless steal stinky jr
    That's good to know, i need to clean up my Jr., I've been kinda lazy about it all winter.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm grateful that you posted this. I've picked up a few vintage amber glass ashtrays that are really dull down in the bowl. Maybe there's hope for them now that I know to try vinegar :)

BTW your ashtray is very cool.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Vinegar works very well for cleaning a lot of things.
    Run it through your coffee pot to clean the tubes and stuff. Run a couple of pots of water afterward and to rinse the vinegar out.
    Add baking soda to it to make a paste for scouring.
    Make a paste of vinegar and salt to clean chrome, brass or copper.
    It kills mold and mildew.
    It is a remarkable cleaner.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Googd to know...thanks for sharing with us.
  • Options
    ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Good call man. Definitely worth remembering, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    I'm grateful that you posted this. I've picked up a few vintage amber glass ashtrays that are really dull down in the bowl. Maybe there's hope for them now that I know to try vinegar :)

BTW your ashtray is very cool.
    I'm actually inspired to hunt for more antique glass ashtrays now. I think they are really cool, and now knowing how to clean em up, I know I could grab some old dirty ones for cheap cheap cheap. Show us if you get yours cleaned up too.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    ...... Add baking soda to it to make a paste for scouring.

This puzzles me, Tony. White vinegar is acidic. It seems to me that mixing it with baking soda is going to neutralize the whole schmear, isn't it???
    Edit: white vinegar usually runs about 2 to 4ph...
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    0patience:

This puzzles me, Tony. White vinegar is acidic. It seems to me that mixing it with baking soda is going to neutralize the whole schmear, isn't it???
    Baking soda and vinegar react with each other. They foam if baking soda is added to the liquid vinegar.
    In a paste, it wants to react a little, but not a lot.
    Why it works, is a bit complicated.
    White vinegar and baking soda work on a lot of things. Many folks use it to clean bathtub or sink drains.
    Not unclog, just clean. It does seem to work.

One thing to be aware of, if you use white vinegar to scrub bath walls, vinegar can eat at grout, so be careful.

Vinegar is an acetic acid, baking soda is an alkali. Combining the 2, creates a sodium acetate/CO2 reaction. The chemical reactions cause the remaining chemicals/crystallines to react with the base metals to clean them.
    Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) + Vinegar is acetic acid (CH3COOH) = sodium acetate trihyrate (NaC2H3O2) + H2O + CO2

This is a quick summary of it and not totally complete, as there is a little more to it. But it provides the basis of it. A little boring, but you asked. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I have a few ashtrays made by them. Very cool
  • Options
    As always, Tony, you are the "answerman". I always get good info from you and I appreciate it. Thank you. You da man..... :-/)
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap! Learned something new today. Wow Tony I am impressed with your chemistry knowledge.
    0patience:
    jlmarta:
    0patience:

Baking soda and vinegar react with each other. They foam if baking soda is added to the liquid vinegar.
    In a paste, it wants to react a little, but not a lot.
    Why it works, is a bit complicated.
    White vinegar and baking soda work on a lot of things. Many folks use it to clean bathtub or sink drains.
    Not unclog, just clean. It does seem to work.

One thing to be aware of, if you use white vinegar to scrub bath walls, vinegar can eat at grout, so be careful.

Vinegar is an acetic acid, baking soda is an alkali. Combining the 2, creates a sodium acetate/CO2 reaction. The chemical reactions cause the remaining chemicals/crystallines to react with the base metals to clean them.
    Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) + Vinegar is acetic acid (CH3COOH) = sodium acetate trihyrate (NaC2H3O2) + H2O + CO2

This is a quick summary of it and not totally complete, as there is a little more to it. But it provides the basis of it. A little boring, but you asked. LOL!
  • Options
    LOL!
    I'm a linear thinker. Mathematics, chemistry and mechanics are things that linear thinkers seem to do fairly well.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drink manly beer. Grow a fine manly beer belly. Wear an old manly shirt. Let your manly cigar ash fall on your manly beer belly. Problem solved, man.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    Drink manly beer. Grow a fine manly beer belly. Wear an old manly shirt. Let your manly cigar ash fall on your manly beer belly. Problem solved, man.
    And when it's too hot for a shirt you can just use your bellybutton.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    webmost:

I stub my cigar out in my belly button. Don't you??
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:
    webmost:

I stub my cigar out in my belly button. Don't you??
    Last time I tried that, my lint smoldered for two days.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    So, maybe 2 years ago I bought a cool little ashtray at a flea market. It is a retro glass piece from a local (where we lived in WV) glass factory, Blenko.

After using it for a while and abusing it some, a nasty ash "film" covered the bottom and many hard-to-reach areas. Ash got rained on, then baked in by the sun. You can see here: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After multiple attempts at cleaning with dish soap, soaking, Brillo pads... nothing was getting this stuff off. Not a huge deal, but I really like this ashtray and of course they haven't made them in 40 or so years. I really wanted to clean it back up. Ah ha! Plain old white vinegar... Dissolved that crap right away and I scrubbed it one last time. Good as new. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't know if anyone has had a similar problem (or cares about their ashtray), but I wanted to share. Maybe kind of a "duh" thing as vinegar is a great cleaner and ash is a basic ph (right?) but I hadn't thought of it until today. Don't know if metal or ceramic ashtrays can get as grody as mine or if they are a little tougher.
    great looking ashtray Grey. As I was reading it I was thinking Vinegar or rubbing alcohol .Blinko makes great stuff.
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Cool ashtray!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    Johnny12Johnny12 Posts: 7
    thanks for the information. I just knew about cola that cleans everything till its bright
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Worked great on a white porcelain ashtray, thanks man!! couldn't get those stains out for nuthin!
  • Options
    The Kid:
    Worked great on a white porcelain ashtray, thanks man!! couldn't get those stains out for nuthin!
    Nice! Good to hear.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Thanks bud, just made my sun-baked ash covered metal ashtray nice and shiny with no effort.
  • Options
    bbass2:
    Thanks bud, just made my sun-baked ash covered metal ashtray nice and shiny with no effort.
    Great, glad to know it works on metal too.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem.....did you see the title of this thread?
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I sold appliances for years and customers always asked how to clean their porcelain brates on gas Steve's that get all cruded up.... I always advised to wrap the grates in paper towels then place them in a garbage bag and drench the paper towels in ammonia and let them sit outside in the sun for about 6 hours and afterwards they wiped clean. I'd assume this would work on glass ashtrays as well.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    EmceeEmcee Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    This is cool!  I have an ashtray I got as a wedding gift from my best man almost 20 years ago, and I've even tried putting it through the dishwasher.  Going to have to try this.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the vinegar & baking soda trick on my metal stinky ashtrays....worked like a charm.  Don't need much, maybe a tablespoon or two of each, and just coat the surface of the ashtray and let it work it's magic. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always nice when a Google search of the Internet pulls up a helpful answer from this forum in the first few results.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )