Home Pipes

cigar vs. pipe tobacco

NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
just curious about the differences between cigar and pipe tobacco plants, strands, growing, curing, fermentation, aging, and blending processes. ive smoked cigars for a few years now and i love exploring tobacco through cigars. ive just been having a peaked interest in pipes. i have never smoked a pipe, and i do not know a single person who does. im sure it is not as common in the northeast area where i am from. i always pictured it of an old man thing, but all old men i imagine must have started some time, i figure i would come here to start a pipe tobacco 101 for cigar smokers. thanks!

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three are some big differences... Different strains to start. In contrast to cigars a lot of the burley and virginia tobaccos used in pipe tobacco can be and are grown in the U.S. Pipe tobacco is air cured, and then can undergo a whole bunch of processes. Heated, pressed, flue cured... Different cuts, spun into rope.

Whereas cigars are labeled by their country of origin (a Dominican cigar) in pipe tobaccos a lot less emphasis is placed on the country of origin (usually) and more on the leaf type and what process it went through.

Pipe tobacco is stored at a lot lower rh, it can come vacuum sealed in tins which leads to anaerobic fermentation while aging. And of course flavorings are a lot more common in pipe tobaccos, even if it's just sugar or honey.

That's a few differences that I can think of off of the top of my head. Oh! And pipe tobacco is muuuuch cheaper per smoke than a cigar.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    You should check out Tobacconist University. http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/pipe-tobacco.asp They have a wealth of knowledge and should have all the information you are looking for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Another place with a lot of great info is here: http://pipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
  • sabujsabuj Posts: 6
     cigar vs. pipe tobacco. i personally like to smoke with tobacco.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Could you in theory cut up a cigar and smoke it in a pipe... Wonder if it would be a huge difference?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Could you in theory cut up a cigar and smoke it in a pipe... Wonder if it would be a huge difference?
    You can, there is, I wouldn't, again.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Amos Umwhat:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    You can, there is, I wouldn't, again.
    Not a big fan of cigars in a pipe but it would be better to simply cut the cigar long enough to full the bowl, don't seperate the leaves. They are added in the order (filler, binder, wrapper) for a reason. This can provide an OK smoke but remember cigars (at least to me) burn hotter so be mindful and don't let the pipe get too hot. Some smoke the very end of a cigar in a pipe but I would not myself simply because of all the tar, etc. that has built up there.
  • naomi12naomi12 Posts: 8
    I have smoked cigars and as well as tobacco in pipe. for me i would rather go for the pipe since its much more sensational