Home General Discussion

Herf-a-dor question

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I am now a proud owner of a 10 stick herf-a-dor (many many thanks again tony!) I was going to order the opulent Churchill collection sampler for my brothers bachelor party weekend. How long does that green foam puck keep the humidity up in a herf-a-dor? If I need to keep the sticks in there for a week or so is that ok?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yup. should be fine

if never opened id feel good with a month maybe more in one of those things.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Many thanks for the quick answer my friend!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    if you are worried about it get a water pillow and toss it in there, but you are good.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Remove green foam puck. Use a boveda 69% pack in there instead (the small 2x3 inch ones). The puck is asking for trouble. It can drip onto the cigars, mold or generally fall off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Humi-Care power sticks do wonders, the boveda packs work well, but you will run into a possibility of over humidification. Honestly, if you are taking them out of your humidor and putting them directly in to the herf-a-dor and keeping that closed, you won't even need any humidification at all. These herf-a-dors do one hell of a job of locking in humidity. I took a 40 count on my honeymoon a few years back, and while island hoping for about a week and a half, with no humidification what so ever, the cigars were in perfect condition.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Remove green foam puck. Use a boveda 69% pack in there instead (the small 2x3 inch ones). The puck is asking for trouble. It can drip onto the cigars, mold or generally fall off.
    +1 although I go 62 or 65 boveda mini packs...air tight means higher humidity
    Money can't buy taste
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Humi-Care power sticks do wonders, the boveda packs work well, but you will run into a possibility of over humidification. Honestly, if you are taking them out of your humidor and putting them directly in to the herf-a-dor and keeping that closed, you won't even need any humidification at all. These herf-a-dors do one hell of a job of locking in humidity. I took a 40 count on my honeymoon a few years back, and while island hoping for about a week and a half, with no humidification what so ever, the cigars were in perfect condition.
    I agree if you keep it closed and aren't opening it a bunch you can get by with nothing. I have a couple 5 counts and a 15 count I take to work all the time. I sometimes leave sticks in for a week or two and they smoke just fine. First thing I did was throw that green puck away. The other suggestions will work as well but I support the nada method from humidor to herf-a-dor.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree...toss the green piece of crap! They will be good for a week or so with nothing.
    Sweet hams! Looks like I've got options. :)
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used humidification in mine. They seal insanely well. However, if you use a boveda, or anything else that is a 2-way humidification, it should last a LONG time. Just keep it sealed up!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    So a water pillow will work? the humidity will travel through the foam ok?
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I've left sticks in my 5ct for well over a week with a pillow (instead of the puck) and they were just as they went in.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the cigars are properly humidified going in and you're not opening it too often, you really don't need to worry. I have the 15 count that I have loaded from my humidor, taken to a herf and herfed all day, closed it up and went home. Opened it up the next month at the herf, for the first time and the cigars were well humidified and smoked great. Cigars are a lot more resilient than we give them credit for.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    So a water pillow will work? the humidity will travel through the foam ok?
    Q. So a water pillow will work?
    A. Yes. Too well. Not a big deal unless you forget them (as everyone does). Water pillow will over-humidify in a sealed container. Better off with Boveda or nothing.

Q. the humidity will travel through the foam ok?
    A. Yes. I believe it's actually called open cell foam. I think that's a high-tech term. LOL But you can check it for yourself. Hold the foam divider up to your mouth and breath in. Air should pass right through.
    jsnake:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I agree if you keep it closed and aren't opening it a bunch you can get by with nothing. I have a couple 5 counts and a 15 count I take to work all the time. I sometimes leave sticks in for a week or two and they smoke just fine. First thing I did was throw that green puck away. The other suggestions will work as well but I support the nada method from humidor to herf-a-dor.
    thats actually how i usually roll unless i am going somewhere with humidity in the 15% or less range. they seal so well that you dont need to worry for short stints. (less than 3 weeks or so)
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Looks like you are getting info here. Foam pucks are not your friend...get rid of it. I use a pillow or Boveda and the one constant with a Herf A Dor is this....they are awesome and work perfectly. Herf A Dors are meant to do their job and I have a 15 count one that I use when traveling and that's another reason they are made so as far as getting in and out of them...you will and multiple times a week. I find that one pillow works very good and just lay it on top of the cigars ( which are in cello btw) and it keeps the cigars so fresh that I'd love to buy more Herf A Dors....how many is too many...since I have 5 of them from a 5 count all the way up to a 40.
    Cigary:
    I'd love to buy more Herf A Dors....how many is too many...since I have 5 of them from a 5 count all the way up to a 40.
    same boat here too...
    i have a 5, 10, 15, and im looking for a 40 at a good price.
    I guess I'm surprised by the fact that just the sticks will keep levels safe for a while. To me it doesn't seem the cigars themselves would be adequate enough. Lol
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    I guess I'm surprised by the fact that just the sticks will keep levels safe for a while. To me it doesn't seem the cigars themselves would be adequate enough. Lol
    I don't think you realize how wonderful these herf-a-dors are. Just sticks are fine for at least a week, i would not hesitate to leave them for multiple weeks if I had to. Small space, seals well, plastic doesn't absorb humidity; there's nowhere for the humidity to go but to remain where it's supposed to... in the cigars.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Cigary:
    I'd love to buy more Herf A Dors....how many is too many...since I have 5 of them from a 5 count all the way up to a 40.
    same boat here too...
    i have a 5, 10, 15, and im looking for a 40 at a good price.
    Check your PM Matt.

And Chris, the herfadors are worth their weight in gold when it comes to protecting your cigars.
    I forgot to tell you about the puck.
    I agree with removing it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    So i am going to toss the puck here shortly... i havent put any water in it yet... I ordered the Opulent Churchill sampler that im gonna pop in there once they arrive. ill probably put a water pillow in with them seeing as how i have about 3 weeks till i take it on beach trip. should i pop the water pillow out every so often to keep it from over humidifying?

i only have the pillow in there when there are cigars in there. its plastic so no seasoning is required.
    LiquidChaos66:
    So i am going to toss the puck here shortly... i havent put any water in it yet... I ordered the Opulent Churchill sampler that im gonna pop in there once they arrive. ill probably put a water pillow in with them seeing as how i have about 3 weeks till i take it on beach trip. should i pop the water pillow out every so often to keep it from over humidifying?

The only thing I would trust to leave inside a herf-a-dor would be cigars or a 65RH or less rated Boveda. In my experience water pillows can spike your RH too high. Even Bovedas will produce RH above their rated RH in a closed plastic container but would not be as bad as water pillows. Also I would not keep new cigars in a herf-a-dor for any length of time before a trip like you are describing. Like kuzi said. The interior of the herf-a-dor doesn't need seasoning. I would put the new cigars in your regular humi until the trip and pack them up right before you go. If you still want to try a water pillow or Boveda I would suggest a hygrometer test to see exactly what you are dealing with. The last time I checked what RH water pillows give off inside a ziploc bag, If I remember correctly, I think it went up to the mid 80s.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/1/674781/ShowThread.aspx
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always just toss a water pillow in mine
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:

The only thing I would trust to leave inside a herf-a-dor would be cigars or a 65RH or less rated Boveda. In my experience water pillows can spike your RH too high. Even Bovedas will produce RH above their rated RH in a closed plastic container but would not be as bad as water pillows. Also I would not keep new cigars in a herf-a-dor for any length of time before a trip like you are describing. Like kuzi said. The interior of the herf-a-dor doesn't need seasoning. I would put the new cigars in your regular humi until the trip and pack them up right before you go. If you still want to try a water pillow or Boveda I would suggest a hygrometer test to see exactly what you are dealing with. The last time I checked what RH water pillows give off inside a ziploc bag, If I remember correctly, I think it went up to the mid 80s.

Here is my issue though... I don't have space in my humi for my new order coming in. I have space for 2-3 sticks without overcrowding. I was looking at the boveda packs and felt like it would be really silly to just order one of pack. All I would need it for is my herf-a-dor an really nothing else.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:

Here is my issue though... I don't have space in my humi for my new order coming in. I have space for 2-3 sticks without overcrowding. I was looking at the boveda packs and felt like it would be really silly to just order one of pack. All I would need it for is my herf-a-dor an really nothing else.
    just use a ziplock bag until your trip and put a water pillow in there until the trip. Open it up every so often just to let in new air and excess humidity out
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:

OK. Here's another idea, you could remove some cigars you are not planning to smoke for a while and put them in a ziplock or tupperware container and put your new cigars in the main humi. IMHO I would want my new cigars and/or any cigars I will be taking on the trip to have as much time in the main humi as possible. It may make just a small improvement but that's how we are with our sticks. We want them to burn well and taste their best. But it's probably not that big of a deal which of your options you go with and nothing to stress over. That would defeat the whole purpose. Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:
    Bob Luken:
    LiquidChaos66:

OK. Here's another idea, you could remove some cigars you are not planning to smoke for a while and put them in a ziplock or tupperware container and put your new cigars in the main humi. IMHO I would want my new cigars and/or any cigars I will be taking on the trip to have as much time in the main humi as possible. It may make just a small improvement but that's how we are with our sticks. We want them to burn well and taste their best. But it's probably not that big of a deal which of your options you go with and nothing to stress over. That would defeat the whole purpose. Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.

well crap. That actually seems like a pretty good idea. Lol