Home Non Cigar Related

A scripture a day keeps the devil at bay.

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
So, Iv had this idea for a while and my new years resolution is to tell more people about Christ.
Its pretty simple, I am gonna try and post a scripture a day.
Im not a scholar, or theologian, I wont pretend to be. If you don't like it, don't read it.
Im going to start with probably the best known one. John 3:16.

Here we go.
John 3:16- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
One God, One Truth
Tagged:

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    What a great idea Dane. I for one will read these, we can all use a little inspiration on a daily basis. I believe this will be well received.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks bub.
    One God, One Truth
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome idea! I used to be a regular church goer and over time and through tough times and hard situations... i have separated myself from church. Religion and I have our own kind of relationship and its working quite well... but having regular scriptures to read will be great! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Go for it! May we add our own to your thread?
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    to kinda tag along to this (ish), have you guys checked out Blessed Leaf? it's a Christ centered cigar community. Kyle from Ezra Zion is the head pastor. It definitely has blessed my life. check it out when ya'll get a chance.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. John 1:1-4 (KJV)

This is a well thought out thread and long overdue in my book!
    Congratulations on being the one who started it my friend!
    Pardon my addition to your post but to paraphrase, always start at the beginning.

fla-gypsy:
    Go for it! May we add our own to your thread?
    Absolutely!!
    One God, One Truth
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an ordained minister myself, I love this idea! I'll look forward to reading this thread.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    As an ordained minister myself, I love this idea! I'll look forward to reading this thread.
    What exactly is an ordained minister?
    And how is it any different than a regular minister.
    Is ordained a different sect of religion or something?
    I've never been able to figure that one out.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Great idea and I look forward to reading the scriptures daily. Will post some that may have come up and what I may have learned.
  • Just looked it up and added to my bookmarks. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:
    If I'm not mistaken, "ordained" means recognized and credentialed by a particular denomination.

Love the idea here

thanks for posting it. Keep it going.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu:
    to kinda tag along to this (ish), have you guys checked out Blessed Leaf? it's a Christ centered cigar community. Kyle from Ezra Zion is the head pastor. It definitely has blessed my life. check it out when ya'll get a chance.
    "Bible Study Herfs"! Isn't the internet great... you can find anything.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:
    To be "ordained" into the ministry is to be recognized and sent out by a particular denomination.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:
    To be "ordained" into the ministry is to be recognized and sent out by a particular denomination.
    Some denominations don't have an ordination process. Some individual churches "ordain" a minister as well. This can happen within a denominational structure or with independent congregations, as well. In other words, there's no single one answer, but in general, it is that someone is recognized by their denomination as having met standards, qualifications, and abilities for ministry.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Romans 3:23-26
    23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitation through faith in his blood, to declare his rightousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
    26. To declare, I say, at this time his rightousness: that he might be just, and the justifer of him which believeth in Jesus.
    One God, One Truth
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread! I will be checking this one everyday.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    1 And the Lord spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them, 2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth. 3 Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat. 4 Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. 5 And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. 6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. 7 And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you. 8 Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you. Lev 11:1-8 (KJV)

The first redemption of the sins of man is in the Book of Leviticus, many do not know this, they assume it came with The Birth Of Christ.

20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: 21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness: 22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness. Lev 16:20-22 (KJV)

One of my first papers ever written was on the topic of Salvation for the people of the Old Testament and how it came to be. Man had greatly angered God many times before this period in time, The Great Flood, The Swallowing of people and families through the ground with the opening up to the Abyss and the Fiery Serpents that was staved through the Brass Serpent that was erected by Moses just to mention a few. This thread my friends will Testify to those who read it through but do not interpret it as reading the Scriptures for it is but a tool to be recognized as such, started by a Great friend and a good man with your best interest at heart. And I do apologize for my long post but the words came upon me and I had no choice but to write them. Dane, this in my opinion, is the best gift you could have given to the community of our little forum!

RBeckom:
    The first redemption of the sins of man is in the Book of Leviticus, many do not know this, they assume it came with The Birth Of Christ.

20 And when he hath made an end of reconciling the holy place, and the tabernacle of the congregation, and the altar, he shall bring the live goat: 21 And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness: 22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness. Lev 16:20-22 (KJV)

I would suggest that the first redemption for the sins of man came long before that, brother...

Genesis 3:21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

In order to make "garments of skin" it was necessary to slay the animals that previously wore them. This was done by God himself, in order to provide a covering for Adam and Eve because of their disobedience. They had tried, at first, to cover themselves with leaves, but God showed them that a sacrifice was necessary, because "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins." This was the beginning of the Old Testament sacrifices that pointed forward to the ultimate sacrifice that would come through Jesus thousands of years later.

Puff_Dougie:
    RBeckom:

I would suggest that the first redemption for the sins of man came long before that, brother...

Genesis 3:21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

In order to make "garments of skin" it was necessary to slay the animals that previously wore them. This was done by God himself, in order to provide a covering for Adam and Eve because of their disobedience. They had tried, at first, to cover themselves with leaves, but God showed them that a sacrifice was necessary, because "without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins." This was the beginning of the Old Testament sacrifices that pointed forward to the ultimate sacrifice that would come through Jesus thousands of years later.

Absolutely true to a point.
    But a true redemption within The Garden Of Eden did not occur because of the shame felt by Adam and Eve for the fact of knowing nudity after the Eating of the fruit from The Tree Of Good And Evil, also known as The Tree of Knowledge to some, and the fact that they both hid from God as He strolled near unto them because of the knowledge of nudity. This happened not for the Salvation of mankind. Remember that unto this time sin had never occurred and was unto that day unknown. The skins were merely a tool for them to be comforted by in the presence of the Lord as they had sewed the Fig leaves together you mentioned to hide they're shame by that point. This was why they were punished and cast from Eternal Life within the Gardens and put through the first trials of mankind, including child birth.

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. 17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. 20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. 21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
    Gen 3:16-24 (KJV)
    This was an act of punishment more than an act of Redemption.

Yes, but don't forget God's words to the serpent...

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

The "seed" of the woman, who would crush the head of the serpent, was none other than Jesus. This was the first promise of His coming. And it was in the context of that first Gospel promise that God covered the shame of Adam and Eve with animal skins - not as a punishment, but as a promise of the grace that was yet to be revealed.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Luke Chapter 3

1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene, 2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness. 3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; 4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. 5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth; 6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.
    Puff_Dougie:

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

The "seed" of the woman, who would crush the head of the serpent, was none other than Jesus. This was the first promise of His coming. And it was in the context of that first Gospel promise that God covered the shame of Adam and Eve with animal skins - not as a punishment, but as a promise of the grace that was yet to be revealed.

Agreed. But as to redemption, in my opinion from my studies, we still have to look to Leviticus. Some would state that Noah and the flood, by the sparing of a family, would be redemption but again it was a sparing of a righteous man and his family not a true redemption.
    Please continue this discussion as, I and others, learn something new every day about The Word through study and discussion. Teach and I will learn.

RBeckom:
    Agreed. But as to redemption, in my opinion from my studies, we still have to look to Leviticus. Some would state that Noah and the flood, by the sparing of a family, would be redemption but again it was a sparing of a righteous man and his family not a true redemption.

Romans 3:10-12 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Even Noah was not saved from the flood because of his own righteousness. Genesis 6:8 says that Noah found "favor" in the eyes of the Lord, but the word "favor" in the original Hebrew means "grace" which is unmerited. Noah needed redemption like every other fallen son of Adam. Which is why he was told to bring SEVEN of certain kinds of animals with him on the ark - because some of them were to be offered as sacrifices when the flood waters had subsided.

Genesis 8:20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

All of the blood sacrifices of the Old Testament were designed to picture forgiveness of sin through the blood of a substitute, which pictured the redemption of Jesus on the cross. In Leviticus, those sacrifices were incorporated into formal worship of the tabernacle, but they had always been pictures of redemption.

RBeckom:
    Please continue this discussion as, I and others, learn something new every day about The Word through study and discussion. Teach and I will learn.

Likewise, my friend. The only way for any of us to learn is to discuss, and compare our opinions and those of others with the Word. I appreciate your perspectives.

Sorry if I get carried away in my responses. I actually wrote a whole book on the subject of worship that you can check out at
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/doug1077
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    RBeckom:

Romans 3:10-12 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Even Noah was not saved from the flood because of his own righteousness. Genesis 6:8 says that Noah found "favor" in the eyes of the Lord, but the word "favor" in the original Hebrew means "grace" which is unmerited. Noah needed redemption like every other fallen son of Adam. Which is why he was told to bring SEVEN of certain kinds of animals with him on the ark - because some of them were to be offered as sacrifices when the flood waters had subsided.

Genesis 8:20 And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

All of the blood sacrifices of the Old Testament were designed to picture forgiveness of sin through the blood of a substitute, which pictured the redemption of Jesus on the cross. In Leviticus, those sacrifices were incorporated into formal worship of the tabernacle, but they had always been pictures of redemption.

RBeckom:

Likewise, my friend. The only way for any of us to learn is to discuss, and compare our opinions and those of others with the Word. I appreciate your perspectives.

Sorry if I get carried away in my responses. I actually wrote a whole book on the subject of worship that you can check out at
    Dude. ebook that sucker! Kindle it!

I'm more of the belief that God's redemptive work has been visible in scripture since the moment of the fall and that his intention has always been redemption of "man" (assuming this was meant in a generic sense in the OP). The blessing of Abraham to create a great nation...to serve as a royal priesthood for all other nations? Sounds like the redemption of man to me.

But what do I know, I'm the guy who is rooting for Bill Nye to put a whuppin on Ken Hamm because I don't read these Genesis accounts as a science book.

I appreciate this thread and will check-in from time-to-time, but it kind of violates my three rules of Bible study...context, context, context. The whole single verse thing has led to far too many abuses in my faith tradition, and others that I've encountered as well.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Mathew 11:26-28
    26. Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    27. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and you will find rest upon your souls.
    28. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    One God, One Truth
    Puff_Dougie:

Too the serpent.
    Not too man.

Martel:
    Puff_Dougie:
    RBeckom:

RBeckom:

Dude. ebook that sucker! Kindle it!

I'm more of the belief that God's redemptive work has been visible in scripture since the moment of the fall and that his intention has always been redemption of "man" (assuming this was meant in a generic sense in the OP). The blessing of Abraham to create a great nation...to serve as a royal priesthood for all other nations? Sounds like the redemption of man to me.

But what do I know, I'm the guy who is rooting for Bill Nye to put a whuppin on Ken Hamm because I don't read these Genesis accounts as a science book.

I appreciate this thread and will check-in from time-to-time, but it kind of violates my three rules of Bible study...context, context, context. The whole single verse thing has led to far too many abuses in my faith tradition, and others that I've encountered as well.

My works are scattered throughout the world as I see a need to fulfill and send them also.I will search out and kindle your book for knowledge after all is the power of the Power!
    Many times were man Blessed, but few the times of Redemption.

roland_7707:
    Mathew 11:26-28
    26. Come unto me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    27. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and you will find rest upon your souls.
    28. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Amen!